RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Apply to all,,dose not seem to work,i did the same,and had to manually do it anyway..

been scanning both sites all morning,,all ive heard were a few comms over AirportEmerg-1
still playing with the sites,as far as scanning 1 or the other.and both..custom tables,standard tables..

Last edited by fourthhorseman; 11-16-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You do not need any custom tables for these system; the control channels will provide ALL necessary information. By manually programming these into you're scanner; as the system matures, you're likely not going to track the system correctly. Simply set the tables for auto and move on...

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, and Kenwood); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofang, Wouxun, CSI...
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

so why have them listed at all?

had the system pgm'd with out and it was quiet,,added the fdma/tdma info,and i started getting traffic..
Old 11-19-2012, 6:31 AM

More testing going on right now on TG 4003 and 4005 between "Moto 1 and Moto 2". Sounds like they'll be doing this all day. They are talking about enabling channels, etc. Sounds like they are able to turn on or turn off TG's via computer. It also sounds like they are testing different locations within a small area, possibly inside a building. Should be quite a few recordings for me to listen to when I get home from work tonight.
Old 11-19-2012, 7:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
More testing going on right now on TG 4003 and 4005 between "Moto 1 and Moto 2". Sounds like they'll be doing this all day. They are talking about enabling channels, etc. Sounds like they are able to turn on or turn off TG's via computer. It also sounds like they are testing different locations within a small area, possibly inside a building. Should be quite a few recordings for me to listen to when I get home from work tonight.
I am hearing them today, I re-downloaded the new system into three parts, zone 1, zone 2, and tlkgrp, all on the same scan-list on my Pro-197. I am hearing transmissions on zone 1 & 2, looks like 4003 is on zone 1 and 4005 is on zone 2, and I am hearing them mention City hall from time to time.

Frequencies I have noticed so far:

Radio ID 65409
Radio ID 65404

I also see:

TGL/0 00133
TGL/0 00413
TGL/0 00015
TGL/0 00373

Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2012, 7:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

sounds like moto techs,getting wildcard tg's 4003-4005, cant tell if theyre saying city-All..or city Hall..

wish they'd loose this ALL GROUP thing and just use TAC
Old 11-19-2012, 7:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthhorseman View Post
sounds like moto techs,getting wildcard tg's 4003-4005, cant tell if theyre saying city-All..or city Hall..

wish they'd loose this ALL GROUP thing and just use TAC
I'm guessing City Hall, at one point the one tech said he was getting echo and the other said there are a lot of small concrete cells where he was and that's why he was hearing echos. As far as I know City Hall does have jail cells.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SCH-R720 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That could really be any one of probably a dozen places in center city alone, lol. Im thinking police headquarters, criminal justice center, federal courthouse, etc. I would be willing to bet its city hall, though. O. A side note, iirc, the all groups are supposed to be the first line of failsoft, arent they? Those are the channels the radios revert to if the controller coughs up a furball? Or am i way out in left field?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
I'm guessing City Hall, at one point the one tech said he was getting echo and the other said there are a lot of small concrete cells where he was and that's why he was hearing echos. As far as I know City Hall does have jail cells.
Ha,,Heard the same convo between the 2 techs..
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SCH-R720 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That could really be any one of probably a dozen places in center city alone, lol. Im thinking police headquarters, criminal justice center, federal courthouse, etc. I would be willing to bet its city hall, though. O. A side note, iirc, the all groups are supposed to be the first line of failsoft, arent they? Those are the channels the radios revert to if the controller coughs up a furball? Or am i way out in left field?
You may be on the money,theres been a heap of backup testing across all the TGs,
will all console IDs(for backup)falling into line,,and some portables too..
Old 11-19-2012, 2:06 PM

Yeah, could be. I remember someone telling me years ago about how trunking works. Unless they were blowing smoke, i was told that the system has 2 levels of failure. If a minor failure occurs, the radios revert to the all groups for that assigned department. Then, in the event that the controller completely poops on the rug, everything switches to conventional mode on each frequency pair, meaning you would now be sharing a conventional channel with probably half the fire dept or police dept, etc. It would really hamper things, but the radio wouldnt be completely useless if the controller fails. But good luck getting a word in! lol
Old 11-19-2012, 8:35 PM

Ok, so some TGs I don't know that were active today:

South Fire appears to have been active a lot also.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Been hearing what sounds like dist sgt's asking radio to have all units coming out of service to drop off their radios.
sounds like an obvious thing to do at tours end,but funny theres a reminder..wonder if they are updating the radios software/firmware or swapping em out for new..or it may be nothing at all!

And Yes..also saw some oddball TGs come up wild..cant recall them,was driving..also there was alot of bleed thru from the fire side onto the PD side(Current System),,fire,,medic,had the 800 just parked on the TG wild card for hours.it feels like a true TRS...ill have to add,and lock out those tg's.

Last edited by fourthhorseman; 11-20-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Keep an eye on those pd radio id numbers, that will tell you if they are being swapped. As for the fire bands, i think they are simulcasted on both zones, so yes, you will have to lock them out if you dont wanna hear em.
Old 11-22-2012, 5:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Phase II TDMA modulation

The notes here on RR say that some talk groups in the new system are using Phase II TDMA modulation, do you think the whole system will end up in that mode? Is Phase II TDMA modulation the wave of the future?

So far the only scanner that can handle that type is the GRE PSR-800, anyone hear of more scanners that will be able to decipher this via a firmware update? Is that even possible?

Living on the edge of west Philly I do enjoy listening to the city, I'd hate to have to buy another scanner just for the city.
Old 11-22-2012, 7:04 AM

Byker,

That's just a generic note to advise you that the system has the capability. As of right now everything will continue to operate in FDMA mode, and we will be able to hear it without a PSR-800. Once they are finished replacing all of the older radios that can't do TDMA, then they are gonna flip the switch on that. You probably have a couple years until that happens, though.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
The notes here on RR say that some talk groups in the new system are using Phase II TDMA modulation, do you think the whole system will end up in that mode? Is Phase II TDMA modulation the wave of the future?

So far the only scanner that can handle that type is the GRE PSR-800, anyone hear of more scanners that will be able to decipher this via a firmware update? Is that even possible?

Living on the edge of west Philly I do enjoy listening to the city, I'd hate to have to buy another scanner just for the city.
Yes, eventually this system will become a full phase II system. Buying a new scanner wouldn't be just for the city. Recently Montgomery County sent out for bid their expected upgrade, which most likely will also become a phase II system. Also Bucks County is going 700MHz. phase II soon as well. Basically, just about everyone in/around the area is going this route; especially most, if not all of New Jersey... The PSR-800 is a fine scanner for that area of the country...

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, and Kenwood); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofang, Wouxun, CSI...
Old 11-25-2012, 1:40 PM

How often are they testing on the new system, I scan the new system at night time and have not picked up anything. I was just wondering if the system is not loaded correctly on my psr800. I did do the P2 update. any help would be great.
Old 11-25-2012, 1:53 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If you downloaded the info right from the database, then it should work. It did for me. They do most of their testing during the day.
Old 11-25-2012, 1:53 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If you downloaded the info right from the database, then it should work. It did for me. They do most of their testing during the day.