RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 3:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

473 should be 1st Judicial District Dispatch.
613 is PSD Admin.

I agree about switching non-essential services first. Gives them a chance to use or abuse the system, and if it crashes, nobody is in any real danger (ie being shot at or trapped in a flashover).
Old 01-10-2013, 4:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
I have a question for you Dan, the 613 I am hearing, if I "lock out" that, will it affect all wildcard transmissions or just 613?

Anyone?

Once they do switch the PD will I still be getting 613 as a wildcard? If so how can I lock it out without locking out all wildcards?

Old 01-10-2013, 4:56 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sorry, byker, tried to reply to you this morning, but my phone sucks inside my workplace. In order to lockout 613, you first have to program it (store it) in your tsys. If you hit lockout now you will lockout any wildcard entries (those which are not stored).
Old 01-10-2013, 5:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post

Sorry, byker, tried to reply to you this morning, but my phone sucks inside my workplace. In order to lockout 613, you first have to program it (store it) in your tsys. If you hit lockout now you will lockout any wildcard entries (those which are not stored).
OK thanks, sorry for my impatience I had saw you reply to other posts after I asked .....

So if I download the 613 with the rest of what I do want then lock it out on my WIN500 list and reload it to my scanner it won't bother me anymore?

There may be an easier way but I'm no good with these trunked systems manually.

Why is it coming up as a wildcard if it's listed otherwise?
Old 01-10-2013, 5:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

So if I download the 613 with the rest of what I do want then lock it out on my WIN500 list and reload it to my scanner it won't bother me anymore?
Exactly. It should not be coming up twice (unless you are scanning both zones of the trunked system, and that TG broadcasts on both). The wildcard allows you to listen for any TGs you don't already have programmed. Think of it as what used to be known as "ID search". It's a good way to find new or unlisted TGs. If you have my Excel spreadsheet (and I think you do), I would enter all of those TGs so you know exactly what you want or don't want to hear and can lockout the stuff you don't want. You'll have to do it manually, but you'll only have to do it once (provided you save your work lol!)

Keep in mind, the new system (and even the old system) operate using 2 zones. Think of them as 2 different systems. Some TGs are setup to broadcast on both zones (J Band, North Fire, South Fire are just a few). The one zone (Municipal) carries all misc municipal traffic (PGW, PWD, School Dist, etc), while the other zone carries only the police channels. I (and most others) keep the zones on separate scan lists. If you have not set your's up this way, I would suggest you do. Like I've said before, the police will likely switch over to their zone later, and fire will likely switch over very shortly. From what I was able to catch before work this morning, the municipal users seemed to make the switch pretty smoothly.

Which model scanner are you using? I have a Pro-197 and a PSR-800, and can e-mail you my programming templates for both if you want it.
Old 01-10-2013, 6:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Exactly. It should not be coming up twice (unless you are scanning both zones of the trunked system, and that TG broadcasts on both). The wildcard allows you to listen for any TGs you don't already have programmed. Think of it as what used to be known as "ID search". It's a good way to find new or unlisted TGs. If you have my Excel spreadsheet (and I think you do), I would enter all of those TGs so you know exactly what you want or don't want to hear and can lockout the stuff you don't want. You'll have to do it manually, but you'll only have to do it once (provided you save your work lol!)

Keep in mind, the new system (and even the old system) operate using 2 zones. Think of them as 2 different systems. Some TGs are setup to broadcast on both zones (J Band, North Fire, South Fire are just a few). The one zone (Municipal) carries all misc municipal traffic (PGW, PWD, School Dist, etc), while the other zone carries only the police channels. I (and most others) keep the zones on separate scan lists. If you have not set your's up this way, I would suggest you do. Like I've said before, the police will likely switch over to their zone later, and fire will likely switch over very shortly. From what I was able to catch before work this morning, the municipal users seemed to make the switch pretty smoothly.

Which model scanner are you using? I have a Pro-197 and a PSR-800, and can e-mail you my programming templates for both if you want it.

Thanks for the info, once again.

What I did was, using WIN500, add the school police 163 to the TSYS object 00993 which is my p25 list, then locked it out and sent the list to the scanner. (I did this after I took the screen shot below)

Which "zone" do I need for just the police, the photo below shows what I want to monitor I currently have both loaded.

I have a Pro-197.
Old 01-10-2013, 6:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Police are (or will be, that is) on zone 2. if all you want to hear is police, leave zone 1 disabled, and only scan zone 2 once they make the switch.
Old 01-10-2013, 7:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Police are (or will be, that is) on zone 2. if all you want to hear is police, leave zone 1 disabled, and only scan zone 2 once they make the switch.
Will do, thanks once again.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Can the new Philly System be monitored on the older Pro 96 & 2096 ?
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2013, 3:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I think the answer is no, but i will check into that later and let you know for sure
Old 01-11-2013, 3:55 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It can for the moment... However; once they fully migrate to Project-25 Phase 2, the answer is no; but you've got several months for that transition to begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPuma View Post
Can the new Philly System be monitored on the older Pro 96 & 2096 ?

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood, and Yaesu); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofeng, Wouxun, etc...
Old 01-11-2013, 4:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GLD View Post
It can for the moment... However; once they fully migrate to Project-25 Phase 2, the answer is no; but you've got several months for that transition to begin...
OK thanks. How about the PSR 600 & Pro 107 or will the PSR 800 be the only game in town?
Old 01-11-2013, 4:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPuma View Post
OK thanks. How about the PSR 600 & Pro 107 or will the PSR 800 be the only game in town?
Currently only the GRE PSR800 can monitor Phase II TDMA, which the new system is capable of utilizing.
Old 01-11-2013, 4:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

As of right now the pro197 and pro106 CAN scan the new system, as it is currently running in fdma mode. Once they flip the switch on phase 2 tdma, those that dont have a psr800 are screwed... and thanks to the guy that clarified the pro96 question.
Old 01-11-2013, 6:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Ok, so I tried programming the new system into my Pro-96, and it is not working. W2GLD, any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2013, 7:17 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You'll need to do some custom programming tables; see this link for starters.

Pro-96 - The RadioReference Wiki

I no longer have one of these units, but people all over Michigan are using them on our statewide system, which is identical to what Philly has finally upgraded too.

Since these are rebanded frequencies, you'll need to do a search for the custom band plan tables for that radio.

I also found this article:
Rebanding the Radio Shack Pro-96 or Pro-2096 requires the use of software. See the articles listed below.
ARC96
Win96 go to the bottom of this article for instructions
See this sticky thread for more information.

Are you using Win96 or trying to do this by the keypad?

Quote:
Ok, so I tried programming the new system into my Pro-96, and it is not working. W2GLD, any suggestions?

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood, and Yaesu); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofeng, Wouxun, etc...

Last edited by W2GLD; 01-11-2013 at 7:23 PM..
Old 01-11-2013, 9:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Ok, I checked out the link you provided, but I'm slightly confused about something. Am I supposed to use the custom tables that are already in the software, or do I use the custom tables listed in the database for this particular system? Also, it seems like when I program in the control channels, then go to, say, manual mode, the control channel does not decode well (under 10%), no matter what antenna I use. My Pro-197 and PSR-800 both give me better than 90% at any given time. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. It almost acts like it isn't picking up the narrow bandwidth of the frequency, like it's clipping or something.
Old 01-11-2013, 9:29 PM

Sorry guys I'm kind of new with programming. If anyone could explain how to program the new system into my psr800 it would be great. Btw spoke with a Philly cop and apparently the police changeover is happening on the 18th
Old 01-11-2013, 9:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Best way to program the PSR-800 is to use the software. Make sure your library is up to date. Go in, select the system you want, zap it right in and you're done. No special tweaks or settings.
Old 01-11-2013, 9:38 PM

Ok great. I wasn't sure that p25 was in the library already. Thanks a lot