RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 5:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

OK I picked up a new PSR800. I am totally lost in programing this unit. I tried importing from the memory card, but I am not picking up anything. I have also tried using the EZ Scan Software. Is there any better software than what the unit comes with?
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2013, 9:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PSR800 is not open to other software yet..

did you update the library?

if it is loading the old system your probably not going to hear much..

update the library,
then load phillys TRS
i believe its listed as PHILADELPHIA P25

the 800 dose pretty good on the new system..
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Has anyone upgraded their Uniden 396XT or Home Patrol to the latest firmware that supposed to address LSM multipath distortion and tested it on the Philly system? It would be interesting to see compare 2 scanners (with the latest update and without) to see if there is an improvement.
BTW, I understand that Uniden has not released an update for the 996XT yet.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocguard View Post
Also, as a point of interest, all new Motorola P25 systems are now installed using linear simulcast modulation, which engineers system coverage less on timing and more on shape-keyed packeting. It wreaks havoc on even the best P25 scanners...

Linear Simulcast Modulation

Baltimore County's new Motorola P25 7.x system employs an RF simulcast method known as Linear Simulcast Modulation. This technology supposedly enhances a subscriber radio's ability to overcome digital simulcast multipath distortion by shaping the digital packet waveforms using CQPSK (Compatible Quadrature Phase Shifting Key) modulation. Because of this, if the digital packets arrive at a subscriber radio from multiple transmitters out of sync, the radio is able to organize them and decode them without distortion.

Because scanners are not readily prepared to capture digital packets with these modified shapings, scanners have trouble decoding the packets. This can hold true not only for voice signals, but also control channel signals. This is why you may be in a solid coverage footprint area, but not receiving the system signals in a clear manner.
Live Audio http://www.phillyscanner.com/live.html
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

thats interesting,i would have assumed that the digital packets were already in some way carrying a time stamp for that reason...
ill be interested to see what GREs answer to this issue will be..
Old 01-26-2013, 5:26 PM

Default manual programming pro-96

I was able to get the new system uploaded to my 96 by a nice guy at the radioshack on aramingo ave..TY !!
I have 3 questions now...
I want to program the PA State police onto another bank in the system...
1) Does anyone know the frequencies?
2) How can I program them manually?
3) I see alot of talk about decode percentages..How do I see the percentage ?
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2013, 6:12 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

1) If you are referring to the VHF frequencies, they are in the DB under PA State Agencies. If you are referring to the OpenSky frequencies, you cannot monitor them with any scanner.
2) Yes, you can program them manually, although Win96 makes if MUCH easier
3) Decode percentages appear when are press manual or program then navigate to an active control channel. It appears ot the bottom right-hand corner.
Old 01-26-2013, 6:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFSID23 View Post
I was able to get the new system uploaded to my 96 by a nice guy at the radioshack on aramingo ave..TY !!
How is the reception? Any spots where the signal isn't good enough to decode? Is it choppy at all no matter where you go? I'm very interested in getting my Pro-96 to work on this system. Can any guy at Aramingo do this or is it one specific guy?
Old 01-27-2013, 1:35 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I went to Aramingo and they cloned their Pro-96 to mine. Turned it on, and nothing. Turned their's on, nothing! lol I did some tinkering around, and actually drove over to a known tower site to test my theory. I programmed in the adjacent frequencies to the control channels, and I get better decoding of the control channels exactly one step above. It's acting like it's "off-frequency". It's not the best, but it helps to bump it up one step. It appears to track the system, although the voice channels are probably "off-frequency" like the control channel is, so they are often choppy and unintelligible. I'm wondering if there is a way to align the receiver in this thing so it locks onto the control channel frequencies better?
Old 01-27-2013, 6:20 PM

I had my pro 96 and my Dad's reprogrammed at the RS on Aramingo and of course my Dad's seems to be working fine but with mine as soon as it picks up a channel it starts making a garbled noise and then fades out. When I push scan again it picks it up then fades again
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2013, 2:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin3122 View Post
I had my pro 96 and my Dad's reprogrammed at the RS on Aramingo and of course my Dad's seems to be working fine but with mine as soon as it picks up a channel it starts making a garbled noise and then fades out. When I push scan again it picks it up then fades again
I am the manager of the Aramingo RS. We have had a handful of Pro-96, and 2096 that no matter what we do we can't seem to get them to work. The only theory I can gather is that GRE used different parts on a some of them and it won't decode? Maybe a different board inside or something. I can have 2 Pro-106's programmed identical, playing side by side and one would scan and the other wouldn't. I've also checked the antenna port on the ones that don't play at all, and the solder connection from the board to the antenna jack is fine (as that can break or come loose and limit reception)

Anyone have any theories or idea's on why this would be?

And to the customer's who did come over and get them programmed, thanks for stopping by, we definately appreciate it. Mike (me) is who you would want to ask for when getting a scanner programmed, if I am not here you can ask for Reggie who also works here and is pretty knowledgeable with the RS models. We can program any of the RS models (Pro-18, 96, 106, 197 & 2096) Feel free to stop or call us if you have any questions.
Old 01-28-2013, 2:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
I went to Aramingo and they cloned their Pro-96 to mine. Turned it on, and nothing. Turned their's on, nothing! lol I did some tinkering around, and actually drove over to a known tower site to test my theory. I programmed in the adjacent frequencies to the control channels, and I get better decoding of the control channels exactly one step above. It's acting like it's "off-frequency". It's not the best, but it helps to bump it up one step. It appears to track the system, although the voice channels are probably "off-frequency" like the control channel is, so they are often choppy and unintelligible. I'm wondering if there is a way to align the receiver in this thing so it locks onto the control channel frequencies better?
Dan, thank's for stopping by, sorry to hear that we couldn't get you up and running. I am working on this issue actively and will update you if I find a fix for it.
Old 01-29-2013, 7:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

all the units that failed to read the new system,have they had all current firmware/DSP updates?..could be a possibility..
Old 01-29-2013, 7:57 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I know mine is as updated as its ever gonna be
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I had a GRE 500 and GRE 600 reprogrammed for philly fire and police identical to each other the 500 is talking and the 600 is not any ideas what the problem may be? Mike at RS was kind enough to take a look at it and is trying to figure out the problem but no luck so far. Is the 600 going to end up a brick for the new philly system it worked great on the old system any help is appreciated thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 4:03 PM

Had mine re-done today and it's working great thanks to Mike at RS Aramingo. If I ever need another I know where I'll be going to buy, Thanks Again Mike
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I need some opinions from Uniden, GRE and Radio Shack users who scan the new system. I have the PSR-800 scanning it, and when on the move the reception is absolutely horrible due to the simulcast issue. How are the 396's and Pro-106's handling the new system when moving?
Old 02-03-2013, 3:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

phillydjdan,

my 800 is exactely the same. Terrible when moving.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 PM

Any solutions to the reception on the psr 800. It's horrible in certain areas where the unidens were fine.
Old 02-06-2013, 6:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Not yet, DMO
Old 02-06-2013, 7:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

what do you guy's leave your DSP Level at on the PSR-800? I set one at 95 and it seemed to have problems, put it to 65 and it seemed to work better.