RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 8:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Bucks County 502.950???

I came across information that Warwick PD had a license in the UHF T Band (502.950), so I dialed it up on my radio. I am hearing what appears to be NXDN (NexEdge) digital on that frequency. I did a search on the FCC database, and the are only 3 licenses in the US for this frequency, 1 is cancelled from the late 90's, one is Warwick Police Dept, and the last is a communications company in NJ, but the transmitter site is in NY. This signal I'm getting is very strong, so it can't possibly be coming from NY, but the Warwick license only has FMN as the designator. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 9:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It appears they are using an emission code of 11K2F3E, which means narrowband analog voice. It wouldn't be out of the relm of possibility that they didn't know they need to include 11K2F1E if they are going to use digital transmissions.
Old 01-25-2013, 9:37 PM

The NY license for MIC Talk is part of a very large MOTOTRBO Connect Plus network that covers NY and NJ.

OneVoice Network Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

It's very possible that's what you are hearing. Do you have a tapped receiver you can run DMRDecode against the frequency? If you can, and it reports Network 171, that is what you are hearing.
Old 01-26-2013, 7:15 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

About an hour after I posted, the digital transmissions suddenly stopped. I have not heard a peep since. If I hear it again I will setup DMRDecode and see what I get. That RR database entry doesn't list anything in the 500 range, and no sites anywhere near close enough to pickup with a signal that good, even if UHF was experiencing a band opening. If it comes down to it, I'll just have to take a ride and track it. Who knows, maybe you're right!
Old 01-26-2013, 7:31 PM

I have heard 76 pd on the bucks county TRS.
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
About an hour after I posted, the digital transmissions suddenly stopped. I have not heard a peep since. If I hear it again I will setup DMRDecode and see what I get. That RR database entry doesn't list anything in the 500 range, and no sites anywhere near close enough to pickup with a signal that good, even if UHF was experiencing a band opening. If it comes down to it, I'll just have to take a ride and track it. Who knows, maybe you're right!
There are no 500 MHz entries for that system in the RRDB because I haven't added them yet. Still trying to pin down some of the locations on Long Island and in Jersey.

You'd be surprised how far some of those UHF signals will travel when the band is open. I've gotten stuff from South Jersey/Delaware extremely clear in the NYC area at times, well enough for Unitrunker to decode at 85% or better.

Out of curiosity, when you were receiving the signal, was it intermittent or was it a constant control channel?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yes, Freak, I am aware that they use the trunked system for primary comms. I believe this channel would be a tactical or private channel.

Chauffeur, I was receiving it almost constantly, with a few brief gaps between transmissions. It is entirely possible that I was hearing that system you are referring to