Help identifying unknown frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I'm hoping someone with a premium membership might be able to help me by looking up a frequency for me. I have been hearing transmissions on 45.50 MHz when I have been in and around Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties. It is definitely police dispatch. Looking through the database, the only county around that appears to use that frequency is Adams County. But I can't imagine that I would be picking them up the whole way up here. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

RonnieUSA

I'm hoping someone with a premium membership might be able to help me by looking up a frequency for me. I have been hearing transmissions on 45.50 MHz when I have been in and around Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties. It is definitely police dispatch. Looking through the database, the only county around that appears to use that frequency is Adams County. But I can't imagine that I would be picking them up the whole way up here. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

County Constables F-1 Berks County Law Enforcement
Berks County

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...RQy2TYnhcvmwVL1JQ0hQps!-691575140!-1139857033

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Dave- Both Adams and Berks use that freq:
Adams - KCR236 PL 186.2
Berks - KZR584 PL 203.5

Use the CTCSS tone search on your BC125AT and if the signals are strong enough and you get a transmission that is long enough, you'll be able to ID the agency by the PL tone. Otherwise, a callsign will do the trick... or maybe a ref to a location in voice traffic.

One other possibility is that you were hearing low band skip.... which is not unusual at all. If there was a band opening, then what you could have been hearing might have been anywhere east of the Mississippi... or farther.

dmg1969

I haven't heard enough transmissions to know for sure what it is...other than definitely PD. I programed it in 3 times (just the frequency without the tones and then with each of the tones for Adams and Berks) to find out for sure. I have it sitting here on my desk at work. I hope it will pick up in the office with just the rubber ducky. If not, I will find out on the way home in the vehicle with the better antenna.

Dave

dmg1969

Well, after having the scanner on all morning, I have not heard a peep. I don't know if the signal is too weak for my portable with the rubber ducky to pick up inside. In the car with the external antenna, it sounds fairly strong. I'll have to wait and see on the way home.

Dave

dmg1969

I am no closer to figuring out what agency is transmitting on that frequency. I only had a few blips of traffic on the way home and on the way in this morning and it always came in on the channel I had not programmed a tone into. I will have to monitor it for a while longer. If it locks on that channel, I want to hit scan to see if that transmission is also occurring on one of the others that do have the tone. Better yet, maybe I should lock out the channel that does not have a tone. Because the scanner hits that one first when scanning and will probably always land on that before one with a tone.

Dave

Last edited:

dmg1969

OK, I nailed it down this morning. The frequency I am hearing is Adams County Police 2 (East). I think the only reason I am hearing it this far up is that it is run through a repeater at 856.9875.

Dave

W3DMV

The 45.500 transmitter is located on a hill top outside of Hanover (York Co.) The 800 Mhz repeater is
at the same location but has nothing to do with you hearing the 45 Mhz. signal

Most of the low band base stations including Perry, Huntingdon, and counties north to Sunbury
are very easy to hear in Adams County, even on a mobile set-up.

Good catch, and have fun...

dmg1969

Oh, OK. Not into amateur radio so not super knowledgable about repeaters, etc. I just programmed it into my base. Not sure if I will here it up here or not. Have mountains between me and that signal.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.