RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 9:19 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Location: In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Farrell, Pa.
Default Staley Communications - TRIConneX (WV-PA-OH)

I see a lot of info popping up for this system. It is a Mototrbo Connect Plus system. What do I have to do to monitor it? I would like to get in touch with the person or persons that is submitting the info and find out just what I need to do to get this endeavor started.
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_mountaineer View Post
I see a lot of info popping up for this system. It is a Mototrbo Connect Plus system. What do I have to do to monitor it? I would like to get in touch with the person or persons that is submitting the info and find out just what I need to do to get this endeavor started.
There's no "new" info popping up for this system. That information has been in the database for many months to over two years.

You need a discriminator-tapped receiver [or an SDR dongle] and Digital Speech Decoder (DSD). Look for Digital Speech Decoder in the wiki.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Location: In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Farrell, Pa.

Is there anyone living around the Youngstown, Ohio area that would like to put a discriminator-tap into my 396XT? I'll come to you and pay the cost of the part and for your time. Just get back to me so we can set it up?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_mountaineer View Post
Is there anyone living around the Youngstown, Ohio area that would like to put a discriminator-tap into my 396XT? I'll come to you and pay the cost of the part and for your time. Just get back to me so we can set it up?
Before you go that step, keep a few things in mind:
  1. Decoding TRBO / NXDN / P25 with your computer does require decent computer resources. Especially with TRBO, if you don't have a fast multicore hyperthreading CPU, you aren't going to get superior decode results. Audio will be very choppy during decode.
  2. It'll take time tweaking audio input settings on your computer and setting up your computer so that it works properly with DSD
  3. Depending upon your sound card, its sample rates, etc, you may or may not achieve the best decodes.
  4. There is very little that is automatic about decoding any of the modes that DSD decodes. It's a hands-on program.
  5. At any time down the road, any or all of the agencies / businesses you want to monitor could go encrypted and then you won't have anything to listen to on TRBO.

If you have a fast multicore hyperthreading machine, you might want to consider buying one of the cheap DVB-T dongles (do a search on the forums) and using one of those to attempt to decode TRBO to see if your heart is really in it. Of course, using one of the dongles and SDR software has a big learning curve all by itself.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 03-16-2013, 4:55 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also I wouldnt recomend using a portable for a disc tap radio. There just not enough room in something like that. Would need a base scanner. Doesnt even need to be digital for this as the computer does the digital decoding.

Frank
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I will tap your 996 if you want it done. I did mine and have used it to decode with no problem. I am in central Beaver County. Post your computer specs first though so we can see if it will likely run DSD or not.