Originally Posted by wv_mountaineer
Is there anyone living around the Youngstown, Ohio area that would like to put a discriminator-tap into my 396XT? I'll come to you and pay the cost of the part and for your time. Just get back to me so we can set it up?
Before you go that step, keep a few things in mind:
- Decoding TRBO / NXDN / P25 with your computer does require decent computer resources. Especially with TRBO, if you don't have a fast multicore hyperthreading CPU, you aren't going to get superior decode results. Audio will be very choppy during decode.
- It'll take time tweaking audio input settings on your computer and setting up your computer so that it works properly with DSD
- Depending upon your sound card, its sample rates, etc, you may or may not achieve the best decodes.
- There is very little that is automatic about decoding any of the modes that DSD decodes. It's a hands-on program.
- At any time down the road, any or all of the agencies / businesses you want to monitor could go encrypted and then you won't have anything to listen to on TRBO.
If you have a fast multicore hyperthreading machine, you might want to consider buying one of the cheap DVB-T dongles (do a search on the forums) and using one of those to attempt to decode TRBO to see if your heart is really in it. Of course, using one of the dongles and SDR software has a big learning curve all by itself.