Staley Communications - TRIConneX (WV-PA-OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I see a lot of info popping up for this system. It is a Mototrbo Connect Plus system. What do I have to do to monitor it? I would like to get in touch with the person or persons that is submitting the info and find out just what I need to do to get this endeavor started.

There's no "new" info popping up for this system. That information has been in the database for many months to over two years.

You need a discriminator-tapped receiver [or an SDR dongle] and Digital Speech Decoder (DSD). Look for Digital Speech Decoder in the wiki.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Is there anyone living around the Youngstown, Ohio area that would like to put a discriminator-tap into my 396XT? I'll come to you and pay the cost of the part and for your time. Just get back to me so we can set it up?

Before you go that step, keep a few things in mind:

1. Decoding TRBO / NXDN / P25 with your computer does require decent computer resources. Especially with TRBO, if you don't have a fast multicore hyperthreading CPU, you aren't going to get superior decode results. Audio will be very choppy during decode.
  2. It'll take time tweaking audio input settings on your computer and setting up your computer so that it works properly with DSD
  3. Depending upon your sound card, its sample rates, etc, you may or may not achieve the best decodes.
  4. There is very little that is automatic about decoding any of the modes that DSD decodes. It's a hands-on program.
  5. At any time down the road, any or all of the agencies / businesses you want to monitor could go encrypted and then you won't have anything to listen to on TRBO.

If you have a fast multicore hyperthreading machine, you might want to consider buying one of the cheap DVB-T dongles (do a search on the forums) and using one of those to attempt to decode TRBO to see if your heart is really in it. Of course, using one of the dongles and SDR software has a big learning curve all by itself.

Mike

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Also I wouldnt recomend using a portable for a disc tap radio. There just not enough room in something like that. Would need a base scanner. Doesnt even need to be digital for this as the computer does the digital decoding.

Frank

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I will tap your 996 if you want it done. I did mine and have used it to decode with no problem. I am in central Beaver County. Post your computer specs first though so we can see if it will likely run DSD or not.

Voyager

If I own a UHF XPR 4550 can I program it to monitor the Triconnex system?

Yes, but it won't trunk it. It will be exactly like monitoring all the frequencies of a trunk system in conventional mode.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was scanning the other night and noticed the CC for the Washington site (Site 11) was now 463.800. As such I changed it. Be aware, that the previously documented/confirmed LCN order may have changed further down the line too. Somebody close to washington should attempt to verify listed frequencies/LCNs for the Washington site to make sure it is correct.

In addition, the following need the frequencies/LCN order determined:

10 Greensburg
12 Uniontown
15 Indiana
16 Grove City
18 Butler

I'm referring to all of you WPA folks who ought to be on top of this. I'm in Carrollton now and don't have that reach into WPA anymore.

Mike

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Ill see if i can update greensburg and indiana. 536 is receiving great on system

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Need to see how the Lcn Finder works on the scanner.

Question,

Why is it when a submission for PA State 700 mhz with a Talk Group (TG) # and a site of where it came from but not a exact description. The submission will get denied? Whoever is submitting to Staley’s Staley Communications - TRIConneX (WV-PA-OH) Trunking System, WV-PA-OH, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies gives a TG # , description UNKNIOWN it gets added.
99 % of their listings are all UNKNOWN.
I would like to see the unknowns listed, you can fill in the blanks later.
Thanks Brian

Originally Posted by hundeesport412 View Post
Why is it when a submission for this with a Talk Group (TG) # and a site of where it came from but not a exact description. The submission will get denied? Whoever is submitting to Staley’s Staley Communications - TRIConneX (WV-PA-OH) Trunking System, WV-PA-OH, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies gives a TG # , description UNKNIOWN it gets added.

Simply put it's because an admin is doing something he is not supposed to be doing (it's against policy to add unknown info).

The Admin is entering his own submissions. Thats the reason they are getting thru. for Staleys Tri Connect.

Last edited:
Their has been a lot of Tg's added with UNKNOWN as to who is using the Tg just a description of a cab or salt truck. These entries should not be entered with incomplete info. How the entries are getting thru a ADMIN is doing it. I tried entering a TG on a different site and got denied for the same thing. Why the double standard?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Their has been a lot of Tg's added with UNKNOWN as to who is using the Tg just a description of a cab or salt truck. These entries should not be entered with incomplete info. How the entries are getting thru a ADMIN is doing it. I tried entering a TG on a different site and got denied for the same thing. Why the double standard?

It's easy. I'm adding them. On business trunked systems, more often than not it is not possible to identify the exact agency using a talkgroup nor the precise location where they are using it.

What we require is a reasonable description of usage and then it is added [as an unconfirmed] talkgroup. If you don't want to hear unconfirmed talkgroups, it's simple enough to not program them in your scanner.

As for double standard, it's hard to say if there is a double standard or not. I don't know what your other submission looked like or who worked it.

for instance, if you are submitting a TG for a public safety system and you say "I hear medics on it", no admin is going to add "unconfirmed medic talkgroup". A medic could be heard on a fire/ems dispatch channel, a localized fire/ems dispatch channel, an interop channel, etc, etc. So in no way would anybody add such a talkgroup for a public safety trunked system.

Business trunked systems are different simply because (a) there are not many people listening to them in order to identify the talkgroups and (b) dispatch and users rarely ever say the name of their company/agency, (c) and the users on the talkgroup could be from 50 or 100 miles away on a far flung site.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Originally Posted by hundeesport412 View Post
Why is it when a submission for this with a Talk Group (TG) # and a site of where it came from but not a exact description. The submission will get denied? Whoever is submitting to Staley’s Staley Communications - TRIConneX (WV-PA-OH) Trunking System, WV-PA-OH, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies gives a TG # , description UNKNIOWN it gets added.

Simply put it's because an admin is doing something he is not supposed to be doing (it's against policy to add unknown info).

The Admin is entering his own submissions. Thats the reason they are getting thru. for Staleys Tri Connect.

Oh no, you caught me. Yep I just added an "unknown" talkgroup. It's not completely unknown. It was a well fracking company in the Carroll/Harrison co Ohio area. I know it's a fracking company. That's good enough.

As I mentioned before, if you dont' want to monitor unconfirmed talkgroups, don't add the unconfirmed talkgroups in your scanner.

And yes, we do scrutinize submissions. If somebody submits something and then doesn't respond to admin queries within the ticket, it'll probably get rejected. So if you are submitting items, make sure you followup in the ticket system to any admin questions that they might send you.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Question,

Why is it when a submission for PA State 700 mhz with a Talk Group (TG) # and a site of where it came from but not a exact description. The submission will get denied? Whoever is submitting to Staley’s Staley Communications - TRIConneX (WV-PA-OH) Trunking System, WV-PA-OH, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies gives a TG # , description UNKNIOWN it gets added.
I would like to see the unknowns listed, you can fill in the blanks later.
Thanks Brian

Totally unknown talkgroups aren't going to get listed in the DB. That's what the Wiki is for. You can browse to Triconnex system in the database, then click on Wiki, and you can add totally unknown talkgroups (5001, 5002,50003, 5004, etc) and list them all as un known with absolutely no other description to your heart's content.

We have to know something about them.

"unknown well fracking company" is enough for a talkgroup to be added
"unknown taxi company in pennsylvania" is enough for a talkgroup to be added
"somewhere near me" is not enough for a talkgroup to be added

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.