RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 6:26 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3DMV View Post
I notice this system is listed under each county in the database. I understand this system is specialized to
provide the desired coverage for aircraft and has a very reduced coverage footprint for stations on the
ground. I drove from Gettysburg to Reesers Summit today and was unable to hear the signal until I was less than 8 miles from the site. (PSR-800/BCD996T) and 5/8 wave 800 MHz antenna-roof mounted)

The data base shows a coverage area of 30 miles from Reesers Summit which must be the projected
aircraft coverage. From my home station, using a good 700 Mhz yagi antenna fed with 7/8 harline,and
aimed in the proper direction, there is no useable signal detectable.

With this setup, I'm able to hear several of the stations comprising the new Maryland 700 Mhz
system which a farther away, so I'm sure my receiving setup if operating properly.

? Is anyone aware of additional sites planned for the future, or is the database a little over hyped in
having this system listed in each county. (Aircraft coverage @ 5000 ft, perhaps ?)
Yes, the system coverage is optimized for aircraft. But, that does not mean you will only hear things on the ground from a short distance. I am 25 miles east of the Berks County site and pick it up well at home on a handheld indoors.

I am roughly 24 miles south of the site in Bucks County and cannot pick it up at all on the handheld or while mobile with an external antenna. I've had to be fairly close to this location to pick up a control channel on the ground.

There are a lot of areas less than 10 miles from the Berks site where I cannot hear the control channel at all while mobile.

I've monitored the Reesers Summit site from 24 miles east on the turnpike and 18 miles to the north up in the Fishing Creek valley area, both with just the handheld in the vehicle.

It is totally hit or miss. Considering all the sites have not been located as of yet, and the fact that coverage on the ground is very hit or miss, there's not a great way to list it other than statewide at this point.

Since voice traffic is sparse, I've mostly confirmed reception by just listening to the control channel and looking at signal strength.
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2013, 7:10 PM

Heard in the Big Pocono/Monroe County area:

769.45625 - SysID 005

No WACN, RFSS or Site # could be obtained at the time it was monitored due to scanner limitations. If anyone is around that area and can get a lock on it to run Unitrunker or Pro96Com, that would be great.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Saw this new PSP car in Center City Philadelphia this morning. It had two antennas, a short black one (circled in green) and a long whip type (circled in red). Is the longer one for the 700MHz system? I don't recall too many current PSP cars with the longer whip type antenna.

Old 06-25-2013, 4:00 PM

Would guess the longer is 5/8 wavelength VHF high. They used to use 1/4 wave at about 18".
Old 06-26-2013, 1:44 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbum View Post
Would guess the longer is 5/8 wavelength VHF high. They used to use 1/4 wave at about 18".
As they upgrade their VHF radios, they are getting new VHF antennas.
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2013, 3:30 AM

They have been quite active on old VHF system lately. This is a philly unit especially utilizing VHF since APCO P25 Phase II not at all compatible with Open Sky. Utilizing for mutual aid / inter-department comms according to trooper friend of mine.
Old 06-27-2013, 8:28 PM

Looks like another low-profile antenna on the other side of the roof too. (I assume the one in the center is for the normal car radio.)
Old 06-28-2013, 3:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh11 View Post
Looks like another low-profile antenna on the other side of the roof too. (I assume the one in the center is for the normal car radio.)
That was a small black cylinder, no wire, my guess is a GPS antenna.
Old 11-03-2013, 6:10 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The little antenna on the right is for the MDT on the cellular service.. the left antenna is OpenSky.. The long circled antenna is for VHF and last but not least, the center antenna is for the OpenSky GPS unit..

Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Today:

TG: 37

Trooper 1 to Watch Center? Sounded like they were going to drop by Capital City Airport

Old 12-05-2013, 1:17 PM

Thank God they can't use OpenSky for Aerial Operations..
Old 02-14-2014, 8:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Is a Uniiden HomePatrol HP-1 sufficient for this 700mHz system, or will the P25 Phase II capabilities of the new BCD436/536 be necessary?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

HomePatrol will work fine.
Old 02-15-2014, 7:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default PA Statewide 700MHz System

I just programmed the system in HP-1 last evening. Is there only 1 department (All) with 2 talk groups? There is a site near me Blain (I'm in Perry County), but I have not picked anything up as of yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Scanners: Uniden HP-1, Uniden Bearcat BC125AT and Uniden Bearcat BC355N
Old 06-11-2014, 9:40 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

Venango County and Potter County are the locations for the two remaining sites that are not yet listed. Need the WACN, RFSS, and Site # for each if someone travels through those areas. Venango would be SysID 001. Potter would be SysID 003.
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2014, 6:11 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

For about 30 minutes on 6/18, I logged activity on TG 14031. This was voice traffic from either Cumberland or Franklin Co fire. I think it was Cumberland.

Units from stations 51, 52, and 53 were being dispatched for a house fire in Franklin Co. Responding units were calling "Headquarters" on the radio. It sounded like Cumberland Co to me.

Somebody must have been experimenting with a patch or something.

Interesting, I had both the PSR-800 running and recording any audio on the 700 system and I had a BCD436HP running trunked discovery. I have yet to grab any audio with the BCD436HP. I have no idea what I am doing wrong with the thing, but the PSR-800 has been pretty reliable with audio grabs...only problem is no unit ID's are recorded as the 800 does not have that capability.
Old 06-22-2014, 6:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Maybe I'll have to start setting it up in my office on record during the day to see if I pick anything up. I have the ID Search on that system set to on and have heard not only PSP, but what was certainly surveillance for a UC drug buy...not sure what agency it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

I forgot to mention that the 14031 tg was being heard on the Geigertown site.

PM me the info you have about other comms and I'll compare notes. It's probable that I have not logged the same traffic as you since each site only carries traffic if a radio is affiliated.

Last edited by benrussellpa; 06-22-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Anyone else in the Harrisburg area having issues with reception of the Statewide 700 MHz system? I set my HP-1 up in my office yesterday and today and have heard NOTHING on it. Yesterday, I recorded all day long and got no hits at all. Usually I hear at least some PSP air units on TGID 37. I recorded all morning and then checked and had nothing. I am watching as it scans the system and it is showing no signal bars at all. It should show some when it hits the Reeser's Summit site...the only one "close" to me. I took it out to the car at lunch and had no signal on my mobile antenna either. I am getting P25 systems from Dauphin and York Counties though. Weird.

DISREGARD. It seems to be working now. I hear them doing radio checks on an unknown TGID. Methinks they were having trouble with the Reeser's Summit site?

Last edited by dmg1969; 06-24-2014 at 12:19 PM..
Old 07-30-2014, 6:13 PM

Default Rocky Grove, Ven Co.

In the for what it is worth column: I am picking up activity on the PA 700 system (Rocky Grove, Ven. Co) with a alpha tag of 37 (wildcard). I am using the PSR800 with the library download for that system. I have also entered the freqs from the list for that site into the normal scanning method. I am picking more activity up that way vs the trunked method.

Tags