RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs down TRUNKED?

SUNBURY - Fire and government officials from the northern end of the county voiced several concerns Tuesday over a pending decision by the county commissioners involving upgrades to the county communications center.

The commissioners, who are mandated by the federal government to make 911 upgrades, must decide to purchase a new "VHF-trunked" system that will cover the entire county or continue to pay Union County for 911 services provided to the Milton, Watsontown and Turbotville areas.

Last month, the commissioners said they will consider a $5.5 million proposal submitted by Motorolla Solutions of Columbia, Md. The proposal doesn't include pagers, radios and other equipment that could cost up to $1 million.

Warrior Run Fire Chief Mark Burrows told the commissioners, "The current system is not broke. We just spent $60,000 on a two-way radio system in 2012. You are making this a political issue."

Officials voice concern over county 911 center upgrades - News - News Item
Old 06-10-2013, 4:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Union County, NJ, near NYC, provides 911 services to Northern PA, some 160 miles away? Interesting.
Old 06-10-2013, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
Union County, NJ, near NYC, provides 911 services to Northern PA, some 160 miles away? Interesting.
Uhh...there's a Union County in PA right next to Northumberland County. I'm not sure where the heck you got "NJ" from.
Old 06-10-2013, 5:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
Uhh...there's a Union County in PA right next to Northumberland County. I'm not sure where the heck you got "NJ" from.

Didn't recall a Union County in PA, put Union County in a Google came up with NJ that's how.
Old 06-10-2013, 6:49 AM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
Didn't recall a Union County in PA, put Union County in a Google came up with NJ that's how.
Google Union County PA: Union County, Pennsylvania , although Google Union County also brought up 1 or 2 PA links for me. Your mileage may vary

Last edited by captclint; 06-10-2013 at 6:56 AM..
Sponsored links

Old 06-10-2013, 7:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by captclint View Post
Google Union County PA: Union County, Pennsylvania , although Google Union County also brought up 1 or 2 PA links for me. Your mileage may vary
I have seen there is a Union in PA now, but my original search did not include a state, just Union County, brought up NJ, nonetheless it's been solved no need to waste any more time on the subject.

Old 06-11-2013, 8:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Back to topic, Union County only dispatches for a portion of Northumberland County, so I'd imagine the commissioners are faced with more than one decision. Even if the decision is made to continue the agreement with Union County, there is still the rest of the county which will continue to require upgraded 911 and radio.

Also, I'm intrigued that an actual press agency would misspell the name of one of the most well-known world-wide corporations in the modern world!
Old 06-12-2013, 7:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Misspelled?...
Motorolla-la-la-la-la-la....La-La..La....Laaaaaaa!
Old 06-20-2013, 9:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Union commissioners: We don't want $200G for 911 services » News » The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Latest news

CCN News 8 - Norry 911 Contract
Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 AM

Someone please enlighten me regarding the term " federally compliant" regarding the article text.

Didn't know there was such a thing. I know of many rural areas that have no 911 dispatch system.
Old 06-27-2013, 7:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Northumberland county is still currently operating in wideband and is trying to get an FCC extension for the rest of this year but realistically the wont have the new system up and running till at least next year. Also the quoted price is not enough equipment to cover the upper part of Northumberland county which is what Union is so concerned about and that they just upgraded all their equipment to a VHF high band system this year.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9HsNzuFFVt4
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Northumberland County commissioners

Northumberland County commissioners awarded a $7.2 million contract Wednesday to Motorola Solutions to provide an enhanced, countywide, two-way wireless communications system that includes new tower site equipment and mobile and portable radios and pagers for fire and emergency medical services personnel in the current coverage area
Northumberland County awards radio system contract - News - News Item
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Full County-wide? No more of the northern part of the County as I recall them being described once as "being the bastage children of the County"? How is this going to go over on that side of the radio?

Well based on that youtube video I guess my question has been answered. How many of them will just say they're staying with Union County and not make the change?

210XLT, 120XLT, BCT2, Pro-90, Pro-2048, Pro-94, BCT15X, PSR-800,BCD396XT,BCD996XT

Last edited by One13Truck; 07-05-2013 at 10:25 PM..
Sponsored links