RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also on police 1 hearing the PL tone humming through the speaker. (ie on a Motorola radio, not a scanner)

Basically the problem is they narrowbanded and I suspect they didn't change out any of the infrastructure. Check coax, duplexers and antenna. Might just slapped a new repeater on the old antenna, coax.

Frank
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2013, 1:36 PM

Ah, the Yinzer mentality. Patch it with bubble gum, shoelace, and glue, and we'll hope the system doesn't fail when someone really needs it.

I am seriously waiting for the day when their @ss gets sued by someone with deep pockets, and hopefully no one ends up dying over it because of their malfunctioning radio system. Even the firefighters are saying about how bad it is and that their radios are having trouble getting signal in buildings.
Old 11-27-2013, 2:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

From what I had read, there was over $2 million earmarked to narrowband and replace everything from the ground up--mobiles, portables, repeaters; basically the whole system.

I though maybe all the channels would be simulcast from all the sites and I'd be able to hear them equally once the new system went up, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So......any updates on the West and/or Quaker Valley systems?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

As of now I know that the cut over is set for Feb 1st for West.
Updates are.
The 155.100 dispatching is going away.
Agencies will be directed to a set Ops channel.
OPS2 - 118, 128, 163, 176,189, 277, 275.
OPS3 - 117, 124,125,126,170,255,256,257,266,267,268,269.
OPS4 - Will not be used for FD OPS. This will be used as DPW for some areas.
OPS5 - 181,209,215,243,244,245.

West Fire Ops 5’s upgrade is complete with six (6) satellite receivers as well as a new transmitter / receiver at the main site.

WEST Public Saftey ( old West PD 2)

New TONES are being assigned to FD... I dont have much info on this yet.

QUAKER VALLEY SIMULCAST
Work is under way at the final site and all sites now have Ethernet connectivity.
Once this site work is complete, testing will follow
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraultra View Post
As of now I know that the cut over is set for Feb 1st for West.
Updates are.
The 155.100 dispatching is going away.
Agencies will be directed to a set Ops channel.
OPS2 - 118, 128, 163, 176,189, 277, 275.
OPS3 - 117, 124,125,126,170,255,256,257,266,267,268,269.
OPS4 - Will not be used for FD OPS. This will be used as DPW for some areas.
OPS5 - 181,209,215,243,244,245.

West Fire Ops 5’s upgrade is complete with six (6) satellite receivers as well as a new transmitter / receiver at the main site.

WEST Public Saftey ( old West PD 2)

New TONES are being assigned to FD... I dont have much info on this yet.

QUAKER VALLEY SIMULCAST
Work is under way at the final site and all sites now have Ethernet connectivity.
Once this site work is complete, testing will follow
There are also rumors that Coraopolis PD/FD and Findlay PD/FD will be switching to County sometime in the near future and will also be on the West System, which may make sense being that they put a receiver for West F Ops 5 on Route 30 in Findlay. All West police agencies have been advised to stop using West PD Ops 2 (Index) for index operations while they build out the infrastructure before placing it back online as West Public Safety.
Old 01-09-2014, 3:28 PM

Default City of Pittsburgh changes

Just received an update on the West system.

Starting January 22nd, both new and old paging tones will start being broadcast on West F Disp 1 and West EMS Disp.

February 4th-Agencies on West PD Disp 1 will be moved to the new West P Safety until the new West PD Disp 1 is online. At that time, units will be moved back to West PD Disp 1.

February 5th-West EMS agencies will still be alerted on West EMS Disp, however will respond on West P Safety.

February 6th-West Fire agencies will continue to be alerted on West F Disp 1 and units will be assigned to West F Ops 2 or 5. West F Ops 3 will be narrowbanded.

February 7th-Units will start to be assigned to their new designated ops channel (2, 3, or 5). VHF paging on 155.100 will cease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2014, 6:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So did Pittsburgh change to the West Zone or did you want to say Allegheny County is making changes to the West zone and just put it in this thread?
Old 01-12-2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundeesport412 View Post
So did Pittsburgh change to the West Zone or did you want to say Allegheny County is making changes to the West zone and just put it in this thread?
He is saying AGH County is making changes to the West Zone.As for it being in this thread it does have some merit if you have read thru the entire thread which clearly you have not because alot of info of county changes have been discussed.I was going to ask the topic be split over the holidays but completely forgot about it.
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2014, 2:35 PM

Default City of Pittsburgh changes

Yes it was posted here because of the previous discussions on the West Simulcast system in this thread. I will post it in a separate thread as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2014, 6:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well, Thanks for posting, it is good information about the West Zone. I just thought it should have it's own thread.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Ah, the Yinzer mentality. Patch it with bubble gum, shoelace, and glue, and we'll hope the system doesn't fail when someone really needs it.

I am seriously waiting for the day when their @ss gets sued by someone with deep pockets, and hopefully no one ends up dying over it because of their malfunctioning radio system. Even the firefighters are saying about how bad it is and that their radios are having trouble getting signal in buildings.
You and me both.

I'm pretty close to many members of The City of Pittsburgh Department of Public Safety. I have family in the Police Bureau command staff. We also have friends that are almost family that are chiefs or firemen in the Fire Bureau. And we can't forget our friends in the EMS Bureau. They all say the same thing. The new radio system is garbage. The story I'm getting is that no one is listening. Like its the elephant in the room kind of thing. A real shame.

Crown Communications and Staley both have a history of pushing the city and county around. Both have tight political connections

I understand that folks are starting to see issues in the radio systems that are outside of the city. They now have dead spots that were never there before yet the radio techs can't find any problems. I'm sure that this is all a preplanned scam to sell and force services to a brand new system. I fear that those in charge will fall for it and for that I feel really bad. After all it seems like they are more concerned with reinventing the wheel and making names for themselves than the actual safety of the public and the street level personnel that hang their butts on the line everyday.

I hope that I'm wrong. I remember in the 1980's when the city switched from VHF-High to an 800 trunked system. That system failed and was immediately scrapped for the UHF conventional system.

End rant...
Old 01-18-2014, 2:48 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All that was done was adding new radios and narrow banding the current repeater system. I know people that are using the same old radios as before and no loss of coverage. I know they were being strong armed at the beginning to buy the new radios from the city only or they were not going be allowed on the city system and at $4,800 a mobile was crazy since the old radios still works everywhere (HT1250, HT1550, VX454, F60V and etc).

The county has the say over the system. If it narrow band, does MDC1200 for ID and the county approves it with the MDC form that has to be submitted then it's a radio that is approved.

Are we going to see this on the news like the others before?

I can't find any of the bids that were submitted for this upgrade.

What was the bid price?
Old 01-19-2014, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNcommLLC View Post

I can't find any of the bids that were submitted for this upgrade.

What was the bid price?
Bids? What are those things? Haha.

It's who you know in "da Burgh" that decides who is getting the job.
Think about the recent news in the paper with the ex police chief and the phony companies that were set up to install/sell the computers in their cars.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I was in the burgh last week and noticed a few things on the ACPD/SHERIFF channel (494.8000). At times I heard both P25 and what sounded to me like DES on analog.

I specifically heard a MDC1200 ID then the sound of rushing air (like what DES sounds like) and then a repeater hang. About an hour later I heard the data sounds of P25 over the same frequency. I do not believe this to be bleed-over.

I was hearing this on an old Bearcat analog scanner and didn't have time to run out to the buggy to decode either of the transmissions on a better radio.

I just thought that I would pass this along.
Old 08-16-2014, 2:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The Allegheny County Swat team has both analog and P25 capabilities. This could be the start of something.
I use to listen to the Sheriff's and County PD but the Sheriff's are kind of monopolizing with the amount of CCR numbers they need causing a huge amount of traffic.
Old 08-16-2014, 3:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If a specific manufacturer has equipment listed on the Pa COSTARS program, it does not need to go out for bids. So I was told. Still does not indicate you are getting best price. Even if on PA State contract, that still does not indicate you are getting best price. We went thru the same thing with SHACOG. Venders listed on there list, we went elsewhere and got better price for same equipment.

Here in Clairton, I have difficulty hearing the city since the change over. never had a problem before. South West system booooms in no problem. Even Quaker Valley zone is good signal.

On PD/SO channel, I am getting wiped out by P25 or some other digital which is not the county. Been bad last 3-4 weeks on a few channels.
Old 08-16-2014, 4:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hundeesport412, They have had P25 for a long time. I actually remember being told by a Operator that it was encryption. The guy just didn't know any better as many at the time confused digital modulation for encryption.

Radio259, No one will admit it but I have talked directly with one of the radio techs that worked on this project and he said that they were ordered by their boss to drop the power on many of the sites. Some of the transmitters in the city are only doing a quarter of the power that they originally were doing.
Old 08-16-2014, 4:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That explains why I cannot hear them that well. Oh well. PGH PD 3 is pretty much dead, static, nothing over my way.
Old 08-16-2014, 4:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Oh and also....the former NEWCOM system out in the North Hills was originally designed with DES for the police. That was back in the late 90's. I'm not sure if those radios are still around. They were MCS mobiles and MT portables.

If you guys can, fight against the P25 crap and the (E)word.