RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 7:34 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default City of Pittsburgh changes

I noticed the database was updated with new PL's for most of the city channels, which I'm guessing is to go along with the narrowband switch. I heard it was supposed to be July 1st, however I'm still getting the old PL's when I monitor. Anyone know when it's supposed to take effect?
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Delayed till August 1st due to not all new radios being installed, and or other items incomplete.
Old 07-04-2013, 2:17 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'll be in the City next weekend so I guess I'll still be safe with the old PL's and can change them out when I get back home then?

210XLT, 120XLT, BCT2, Pro-90, Pro-2048, Pro-94, BCT15X, PSR-800,BCD396XT,BCD996XT
Old 07-04-2013, 3:24 AM

You know what's screwed up? I'm on or associated with the radio committees at two fire stations and an EMS service, and I had to read about this here first.

I see they changed the MED channels too. I have heard about this. The database states they will be BM, but in reality, they are RM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I see quite a few complaints about how Allegheny runs things but trust me. You have it great compared to what we go through here in NEPa. Us anyway, all the Counties around us are fantastic.

Fantastic!!! Well I took no chances. I have both sets in my 396XT. The regular I've had programmed for a while and now a new temporary system with these changes... "Just in case" because I know how sometimes people get itchy fingers and put things in place before they're supposed to be! LOL Once I see the changes have officially taken place I'll change them in the permanent system.

210XLT, 120XLT, BCT2, Pro-90, Pro-2048, Pro-94, BCT15X, PSR-800,BCD396XT,BCD996XT
Sponsored links

Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey guys I made the changes on good intel but at the last minute they decided to delay it until 8/1. Let me know what you guys think whether to change it back or add the old info along side the new or let it stand as is. I have heard arguments for all three so I would appreciate some input.

Drachen_Fire, I know the feeling we had very little info handed to us in Beaver for the switch and it was bungled a couple times as well. Seems like a lot of agency's were caught pants-down.

Also if you say the MED chans are going to be repeaters, I can change that. I will verify the license to see they have a corresponding input and add it. I am curious if Jefferson Hospital will keep it's funky PL or not and if they are narrow yet or will switch at the same time as everyone else.
Old 07-11-2013, 6:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I would suggest putting the old info back in until the change over.It would help out in the long run in my opinion.

Last edited by mule1075; 07-11-2013 at 8:38 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 8:01 AM

I know that Jefferson Hospital was in talks with MRS Pittsburgh to narrowband it's MED repeater.late last year. I don't know if it was ever done, but that repeater is still on the air. St. Clair Hospital has MED repeaters with a different PL on both MED 3 and MED 7, but am unable to confirm operations right now. Ohio Valley Hospital had a command repeater on a non-MED channel set, something in the 464 range, but it went silent a bit ago.

I am able to confirm that as of five minutes ago, the old wideband MED system with the 100.0 PL is still on the air and being used.
Old 07-12-2013, 7:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have the old and new programmed in for this weekend.... Just to be safe and not get caught pants down as well... LOL It would be my luck if I didn't.

As for the changes. It depends. If there's a lot of other stuff backed up you need to get done leave the old and new and just delete the old when they finally switch instead of creating more work for yourself later. But if there's not much else to work on right now it might be good to pull the future changes down until they're confirmed to prevent any confusion.

Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM

So any word on this? Was it pushed back again because it seems that nothing has changed.

PRO-83/PRO-84/PRO-433/PRO-160x2/PRO-163x4/PRO-164/PRO-197/PRO-106/BCT-15X/
BCD-996XT/BCD-396XT/RH-96/UV-5R+x3/UV-5R
Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Seems the only things that changed at all is that Med Channel 4 works on CSQ only.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No it's been pushed back again.

Sept 1st.

John
Old 08-08-2013, 6:16 PM

Anyone have any word on the other upgrades (New West System, North Boros)?
Old 08-08-2013, 8:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChabalie View Post
Anyone have any word on the other upgrades (New West System, North Boros)?
I was curious about that myself as well. Originally I heard it was supposed to be completed last fall, then I've seen it delayed a couple of times from a few different sources online. Last I read the target was by the end of this past April, but obviously that hasn't happened.
I haven't heard much about it at all otherwise. Wonder if there's some issues related to the T-Band freeze going on?
Old 08-08-2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt134 View Post
I was curious about that myself as well. Originally I heard it was supposed to be completed last fall, then I've seen it delayed a couple of times from a few different sources online. Last I read the target was by the end of this past April, but obviously that hasn't happened.
I haven't heard much about it at all otherwise. Wonder if there's some issues related to the T-Band freeze going on?
I have no idea. I know that they plan on using the existing frequencies with new PL's. I'm a dispatcher in the South Zone that also handles the West and you would think that we would be up on this info. Surprisingly we find out more from the field units about whats going on. I did see on the FCC License Search that at least the West Police channels were granted an extension to narrowband, but that expired on June 30th.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2013, 9:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChabalie View Post
I have no idea. I know that they plan on using the existing frequencies with new PL's. I'm a dispatcher in the South Zone that also handles the West and you would think that we would be up on this info. Surprisingly we find out more from the field units about whats going on. I did see on the FCC License Search that at least the West Police channels were granted an extension to narrowband, but that expired on June 30th.
I wonder if the North Boros area would be lumped into the new West channels once those go up?

On a similar note, I'm curious if McCandless, Franklin Park and Ohio Twp. fire will eventually end up on the North Fire channels with the receipt of their radio/pager grant this past Spring. They're basically on their own UHF frequencies right now, and with the county's trend of consolidating channels, wasn't sure if they'd remain there or not.
Old 08-09-2013, 1:33 AM

I don't believe they will. According to ACES, the new UHF Northwest system is currently getting some final bugs worked out of it. I've heard that the UHF NW system will include a fire dispatch, two fire ops channels, a public safety channel, and an EMS dispatch. From the initial participating departments, it will likely include (fire) Bellevue, Avalon, Ben Avon, Emsworth, Sewickley, Leetsdale, Coraopolis, and Moon, and (EMS) Northwest EMS and Valley Ambulance Authority.

It's really anyone's guess. I'm also hearing that the Pittsburgh 800MHz Type II system for city services will be abandoned within the next 5-10 years. This source told me that they are committed to UHF, and will not be going 800MHz.
Old 08-09-2013, 4:32 AM

A commitment to UHF does not exclude them from becoming part of ICORRS.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen_Fire View Post
I don't believe they will. According to ACES, the new UHF Northwest system is currently getting some final bugs worked out of it. I've heard that the UHF NW system will include a fire dispatch, two fire ops channels, a public safety channel, and an EMS dispatch. From the initial participating departments, it will likely include (fire) Bellevue, Avalon, Ben Avon, Emsworth, Sewickley, Leetsdale, Coraopolis, and Moon, and (EMS) Northwest EMS and Valley Ambulance Authority.

It's really anyone's guess. I'm also hearing that the Pittsburgh 800MHz Type II system for city services will be abandoned within the next 5-10 years. This source told me that they are committed to UHF, and will not be going 800MHz.
That's interesting. Last I was aware Moon, Coraopolis and Valley Ambulance were still self-dispatched/ringdowns...are they looking to move to county in the future?

And speaking of Coraopolis, what frequency is the fire department dispatched on now?
Old 08-09-2013, 1:39 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Allegheny county will not go to icorrs. They just spent money on uhf equipment. icorrs is westmoreland, fayette, armstrong, indiana and possibly somerset.

Frank