Somerset County Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio259

Mandate my butt!! if we had it our way, we would still be on low band.

Another way amanufactuer bullies a customer.

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
Mandate my butt!! if we had it our way, we would still be on low band.

Another way amanufactuer bullies a customer.

I agree with you 1000% .

They love to hide behind terms like "safer" and "better technology" but its all just hogwash. It's all a scam and at the end of the day Motorola gets a payday and I'm sure some politician gets a vacation package, new car or some other reward. These new systems are designed by engineers and salesmen. Not by those in the field everyday. The real story is that these new state of the art systems are designed to kill people. Not intentionally but by default. The studies have been done in the fire service by busy departments like the FDNY and others. A fireman was killed in Prince William County Va a few years back and the radio system was a major factor.

I would hardly call it moving forward.

ffemt134

Feed Provider
I don't know about anyone else, but our experience with being on low band was just plain awful. Couldn't talk from one end of town to another, couldn't communicate with dispatch on a portable half the time, poor pager coverage, etc. We couldn't wait to move to something better, which in our case was repeated UHF.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Sooo....if Kenwood or EFJ won the contract, would they also be considered a bully ?

Motorola proposed a system to the county board. The county had the right to say "no". They chose to say "yes". Motorola makes a top notch product, and like every other company, they have to make a profit as well. Their people need to eat also.

It sounds like the county made a smart moving by embracing a system that works well with surrounding counties and not create their own island.

I grew up close to there and can tell you first hand with having to share 33.68 for many years, low band doesn't belong in that area. Antenna efficiency is just about crap at best. Your portable is useless if the thing can't talk more than a 1000 ft. Vehicular repeaters are just a band aid for aging or improperly engineered radio system.

lars128

Anyone know why Someret is so hot to get on Westmoreland's system? Laurel Ridge is a big barrier. I don't see much need for interoperatability or compatibility between Westmoreland/Fayette and Somerset, save for 2 or 3 fire departments. I would expect that compatibility would be much more important with Cambria County with Johnstown being just north of the county line.

Also does anyone know about the reference to Cambria County low band frequencies?

kb3jqz

Cambria will probably be moving to this system also. Seems like the whole of Region 13 will eventually be on it. If you know anything about the interop amog Region assets then it just makes sense.
Just my .02 worth.

lars128

Interesting to hear that Cambria may eventually make the switch. Growing up in Westmoreland, Somerset seemed so far away and so removed even though it is right next door. However I do admit that I really don't know how often the Jennerstown, Bakersville or Somerset fire departments come down the hill to Westmoreland.

talviar

I'd look a little closer. . . . Perhaps 7 Springs that routinely has units from 3 counties on incidents. Chestnut Ridge ST110, Saltlick Twp ST46 among many that come from WestCo and FayeCo to fires in 7 Springs Boro.

Status
Not open for further replies.