RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 5:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default I need a new scanner.

Hello! I dropped my beloved PRO106 and broke it. I listen to Philly, Bucks and Montco, and in anticipation of the changes coming to the Philly PD radio system, should I get either a PSR-800 or a BCD436HP? I believe those are the two scanners that will work continue to work in the future. Is this correct?

Thanks very much!

Dep
Sponsored links

Old 04-11-2014, 11:08 PM

Buy the 436hp or the new Whistler WS1040 coming out very soon. GRE out of business making PSR-800 a door stopper and will not be supported by the new company Whistler.
Old 04-12-2014, 2:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll second the advice on the Uniden. I've been a GRE/radio shack user for years but also have had several Uniden products. For right now the uniden would be the radio of choice. If you can wait it might be worth letting Whistler get their product to market and let some folks do a head to head comparison before making a decision.
Old 04-12-2014, 4:02 PM

I would check out the Uniden forums, PA state forum, and see how performance is on these two new scanners relative to your area. If you can hold out a bit, Whistler is waiting for approval by the FCC on new products, might be worth the wait, then make your decision as to which would be the best for you.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks very much for the good advice. I took my Pro106 apart and soldered a 6 inch piece of wire onto the circuit board where the wire for the antennae goes (or used to go before I dropped it and the antennae went flying) and then filled the antennae hole with silicone to hold the wire in place and to my amazement the thing works as good if not better than before!

(NOTE: The black plastic thing at the end of the wire is a fuse holder. I'd planned to snip that off after I was done attaching the wire, but it's working so good I might just leave it.)
Attached Images

Sponsored links

Old 04-13-2014, 2:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For the higher frequencies that wire will do a fine job. You can receive 500 through 800 on a paper clip.

Good work
Old 04-13-2014, 3:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by trap5858 View Post
ForWhen I Go To Philly During The Week I'll See You're It Works For Philly Pd. e higher frequencies that wire will do a fine job. You can receive 500 through 800 on a paper clip.

Good work
Thank You! I'm Up In Bucks But during the week when I go to Philadelphia I'll see how it works for the Philly PD.
Old 04-14-2014, 9:21 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I had (still have) a Pro-106. At the time, it was a great radio but the build quality is crap. It is so cheap. My buttons fell off and the screen goes crazy and I have to make sure my power supply is really tight on the unit or it doesn't get power. I can go on about how bad this scanner is. Oh did I mention how bad poorly it performs with simulcast p25?? UNIDEN is a much better choice. I always liked Uniden- I had their phones, CBs, and now their scanners.