RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 6:50 PM
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Statewide VHF-High Band TRS

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has applied to the FCC, to erect several VHF-High band TRS sites at various locations. Will these pending sites be part of the new Project 25 TRS that is being built? More information is available on the FCC Web site:

Application 1

Application 2

Application 3

Application 4

Application 5

Application 6

Application 7

Application 8

73's

Ron
Old 06-23-2014, 7:56 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

The state is currently planning a successor to OpenSky and that system will be P25. As of now, it remains to be seen whether or not the system will be straight 700/800 or a mix of VHF (rural areas) and 700/800 (urban areas) using dualband radios. The state is going ahead and securing spectrum themselves so that potential vendors cannot come in and say that there's no VHF spectrum available or there's no 700/800 or whatever sly things vendors will say when proposing a system.
Old 06-23-2014, 8:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hmm,,Curious if they are going to opt for encryption..total or partial.Glad to see they learned the lesson after the O-Sky cluster-bleep...And a lil bummed they wait til I move out of PA to plan to build a new system.
Old 06-23-2014, 8:49 PM

As per the PSP guy that testified before the senate, the system will be VHF in rural areas and 700 in urban areas. Whether the plan stays that way is yet to be seen.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2014, 9:31 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
As per the PSP guy that testified before the senate, the system will be VHF in rural areas and 700 in urban areas. Whether the plan stays that way is yet to be seen.

That has not been finalized. It is the favored option. But, adequate VHF spectrum needs to be acquired, first. This is what they are currently working on.
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2014, 1:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

Looks like the west end of the state, and 151-172 Mhz. WOW 172 MHz! Didn't know PS had freqs up that hi?
My money is on 700 MHz for the southeast end of the state.
Old 06-24-2014, 9:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ICV View Post
Looks like the west end of the state, and 151-172 Mhz. WOW 172 MHz! Didn't know PS had freqs up that hi?
There federal government let several states (MO, NE, SD, maybe more) use federal frequencies in the 162-174 MHz range for their statewide VHF trunked systems as part of a deal allowing federal agencies to use the systems.

I don't know if this will also be the case in PA but several state and local public safety trunked systems are also using 152/157/158 MHz paging frequencies and 157/161 MHz maritime public coast frequencies.

Last edited by nd5y; 06-24-2014 at 9:30 AM..
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthhorseman View Post
Hmm,,Curious if they are going to opt for encryption..total or partial.
Guaranteed at least partial. AG office has already expressed desire for encryption and I am sure other agencies as well. While we all know that certain TGs should be covert, I really feel this country wide trend of hiding all communications is out of hand. Goes right along with the militarization of the PDs. Absolute police state in America taking shape before our eyes.

But, yes I hope they at least leave basic dispatch open. They will surely have interop groups for contact with municipal. But in the 35+ years of monitoring PSP I have RARELY heard any successful interactions between agencies. This going as far back as the days of 42.60 Mhz at all the barracks. I have heard attempts from Delaware, Maryland, and Pa. national guard, as well as some counties, go unanswered over the years. So interop is a lot of baloney I think in reality.

I, being a pessimist, believe that encryption will be very prevalent on any system which may emerge in the next few years.

Perhaps, somewhere, sometime there will be an unfortunate incident caused directly by the over-encrypting of routine conversations that will cause the decision makers to reconsider hiding behind unwarranted encryption.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbum View Post
Perhaps, somewhere, sometime there will be an unfortunate incident caused directly by the over-encrypting of routine conversations that will cause the decision makers to reconsider hiding behind unwarranted encryption.
Do you really think it will work that way? If anything, the committee will conclude that encryption will need to be shared across agencies on inter-ops channels, and include OTAR. Nothing gets rolled back in politics, it only gets more money thrown at it.
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2014, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbum View Post
But, yes I hope they at least leave basic dispatch open. They will surely have interop groups for contact with municipal. But in the 35+ years of monitoring PSP I have RARELY heard any successful interactions between agencies. This going as far back as the days of 42.60 Mhz at all the barracks. I have heard attempts from Delaware, Maryland, and Pa. national guard, as well as some counties, go unanswered over the years. So interop is a lot of baloney I think in reality.
I know for a fact most PSP Troops have radio equipment for the county (or counties) they have patrol areas in. I've heard PSP Media Units on Delco's 500 system a few times. Once in 2010 when they had police deployed all over Chester during a curfew period to try to stem a tide of violence and earlier this year I heard a PSP unit talk with a Sector 2 unit on M2. Definitely not a patch in either instance. I've also heard a Philadelphia PSP unit come on PPD T-Band - I believe that was a patch through the Open Sky system though.
Victory5318@gmail.com
Old 06-24-2014, 2:03 PM

Ive heard Trevose troopers on the Bucks County system, not patched. I think once the agencies involved finally come up with systems that play nice with each other patches will be more widely used. Its also worth mentioning that with the dual band radios coming out that have P25 and Smartnet capabilites, we will see more state police switching to the county systems directly for interop. Heck, even PPD's helicopter can switch directly to Buck's system! The counties can assign radio IDs pretty easily.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septa3371CSX1 View Post
I know for a fact most PSP Troops have radio equipment for the county (or counties) they have patrol areas in. I've heard PSP Media Units on Delco's 500 system a few times. Once in 2010 when they had police deployed all over Chester during a curfew period to try to stem a tide of violence and earlier this year I heard a PSP unit talk with a Sector 2 unit on M2. Definitely not a patch in either instance. I've also heard a Philadelphia PSP unit come on PPD T-Band - I believe that was a patch through the Open Sky system though.
I've heard PSP Belfast trooper talking with a Northampton County dispatcher on the county's North PD channel.
Old 06-25-2014, 4:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
There federal government let several states (MO, NE, SD, maybe more) use federal frequencies in the 162-174 MHz range for their statewide VHF trunked systems as part of a deal allowing federal agencies to use the systems.

I don't know if this will also be the case in PA but several state and local public safety trunked systems are also using 152/157/158 MHz paging frequencies and 157/161 MHz maritime public coast frequencies.
Yes, they are going to use the 151/152/153/157/158 frequencies also.