RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 2:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Request frequency file for my area

Hey, I just got the BCD396XT scanner, but I don't have the cable to connect the scanner to my computer and I do not know when I will be able to get the cable so without the cable any software will not be possible and I do not want to wait to use it so therefore the option is program the scanner manually which I do not know how.

So, here are a few questions.

1.) How do I program the BCD396XT manually?

2.) I live in Bethlehem, PA, it's the Lehigh Valley. May I please request someone to kindly please send me a frequency file for my area?

I really appreciate it for all help, and thank you!
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2014, 2:39 PM

Use this

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

That will help you alot.
Old 07-15-2014, 2:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you so much!!
Old 07-15-2014, 8:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question #1 has been answered, but could someone please answer question #2? Thank you!
Old 07-15-2014, 8:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The scanner came with a cable, but does it look like I could connect it to my computer based on this images from Google?
Attached Images

Sponsored links

Old 07-16-2014, 4:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
Question #1 has been answered, but could someone please answer question #2? Thank you!
Bethlehem is in both Lehigh and Northampton counties. I don't know the area but the frequencies for both counties can be found here:

Lehigh County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Northampton County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Old 07-16-2014, 9:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
Bethlehem City has it's own P25 Phase 1 digital system. That info can be found here Bethlehem Public Safety Trunking System, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

You'll need a cable adapter to program via computer. Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB 2.0 to RS-232 DB9 Serial Converter, TU-S9: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Uniden USB-1 Scanner Radio PC Interface Cable: Computers & Accessories

The later is more expensive. I would go with the first. I use that setup all the time.
Old 07-16-2014, 8:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you everyone!!
Old 07-16-2014, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Cable for 396xt

If you decide to get the converter, be aware that it may work with one computer but not another. I have been using three different ones for awhile, and sometimes they work on one computer but not another. I believe some of the problems come from different chipsets on the motherboard. The USB cable for your scanner works on every computer I have tried (about 8 different brands).
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2014, 3:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
If you decide to get the converter, be aware that it may work with one computer but not another. I have been using three different ones for awhile, and sometimes they work on one computer but not another. I believe some of the problems come from different chipsets on the motherboard. The USB cable for your scanner works on every computer I have tried (about 8 different brands).
That is fine for me because I would only be using this on one computer.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a question please.

The question is about these talk group Trunked frequencies Allentown Public Safety Trunking System, Allentown, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

I know they are EDACS, but are they WIDE/NARROW? Or are they SCAT?
Old 07-20-2014, 6:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
Bethlehem City has it's own P25 Phase 1 digital system. That info can be found here Bethlehem Public Safety Trunking System, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

You'll need a cable adapter to program via computer. Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB 2.0 to RS-232 DB9 Serial Converter, TU-S9: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Uniden USB-1 Scanner Radio PC Interface Cable: Computers & Accessories

The later is more expensive. I would go with the first. I use that setup all the time.

I bought the first one and it was delivered yesterday and I used FreeSCAN, and I was able to program it.

Thank you everyone!!!!