Schuylkill County P25 TRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Working in Schuylkill County today, I discovered a P25 trunked system on VHF. It is entirely encrypted, at least everything I heard over the 90 minutes I was able to monitor was enc.

152.2125cc (NAC 5D0)
152.7875vc
152.5475vc

SYSID: 5D9
RFSS: 001
Site: 001
WACN: BEE00

TG 10000 (all traffic enc)
RID 91101
RID 891103

TG 10001 (all traffic enc)
RID 91102
RID 104101
RID 585102

TG 10003 (all traffic enc)
RID 91104
RID 568111
RID 568105
RID 568123

Is this where the police went? I had zero traffic on the conventional police dispatch channels during this time (being scanned on a different radio).

agr

Is this where the police went? I had zero traffic on the conventional police dispatch channels during this time (being scanned on a different radio).

Probably. There were news stories in the local papers about the county moving to a digital Motorola system a few months back. Pretty sure it has been live for a while now, but I'm out of range of any of the Schuylkill systems so I can't verify.

captclint

Mentor
Since this was rumored several months ago,I have tried various pending and approved license searches, looking for digital emissions, to no avail. I must have missed something, as I have to believe they would not activate unlicensed frequencies.

With Ben's frequency data, still nothing found. It appears as if these are in the middle of the Mobil Phone/paging frequencies. Hopefully someone with more understanding and experience with FCC search can shed some light on this

Steveradio

Wouldn't surprise me its under Schuylkill Mobile Phone or Greens Communications has something to do with it. They have a 454Mhz LTR system set up and multiple business agencies use and when ran with a few departments in Schuylkill Co numerous were using "unlicensed operations".

But Clint same thing checked data bases and found nothing even checked the KDR480 for 155.805.. who knows what could be.

W3DMV

I would think the frequencies listed are correct
These are auctioned off part 22 licenses and the exact frequency does not appear in the
normal FCC database. (Only the range)

The following are licensed to Schuylkill Co and match the frequency scheme

WQQQ559 152.135-152.165
WQQQ561 152.015-152.045
WQQQ563 152.072-152.105
WQQQ564 152.195-152.225
WQQQ565 152.525-152.555
WQQQ566 152.585-152.615
WQQQ567 152.765-152.795
----
This probably is similar to what Northumberland Co was planning..and posted several
months ago....

W3DMV

Looks like part 90 permits them to operate P-25 and other modes. Will
try to check when time permits. There's about half a million tons of paper
work to search through.
I found the post regarding the Northumberland Co system and the poster
says that one will be P-25..

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Ok, I was aware of the part 22 aspect, but can these be turned into a P25 trunking system as the subject of this thread suggests?

Yes, they can. It's one of those gray area, and other states have been doing so for several years now. Apparently, this is some good spectrum from the old radiotelephone days that is unused in many parts of the country. This is why many other VHF-High band trunking systems have been using these Part 22 freqs.

73's

Ron

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
You people need to learn how to use Google.

Let me google that for you

As well as learn what Part 22 CP paging licenses are, and how to search the ULS for them. Not terribly complicated.

License Search Results

All the answers you seek and speculate about are right there.

I don't really think it is necessary for you to post a response like this. I've read the newspaper articles as they have come out. All the articles kept saying the same thing...the county was going to narrowband. Sometimes, they would mention digital communications, sometimes they would say things like this:

"Narrowbanding allows more radios within a spectrum by reducing the widths of the signals produced. Scott D. Krater, Schuylkill County Communications director, said the current equipment predates 1998 and modifications are necessary at the communications center and the 11 base stations.

Krater said the other alternative for the county was to convert to a digital radio system, which would cost substantially more not only for the county, but for police departments and EMS units that would have to buy new radios and possibly base stations."

So, other than being a bit of a jerk, your first link added nothing to the conversation that was not already known by people. What folks overlooked (myself included) was Part 22. Since I don't live in that area, this week was the first time I have been up there since the swtichover and, unlike anybody else, I found and provided system information despite the fact that I had not previously thought about the Part 22 option. This is why I posted looking for some confirmation that this was, in fact, Schuylkill County's new system.

Perhaps a lesson in searching for Part 22 licenses would be helpful for the unwashed masses.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
With narrow band frequency spacing that frequency range gives plenty of room for trunked frequencies as well as separate dedicated conventional and simplex frequencies for all public service users, and VHF radios could take advantage of national VHF mutual aid / intersystem frequencies.

Schuylkill County Communications Center continues testing new emergency system - News - Republican Herald

http://forums.radioreference.com/pennsylvania-radio-discussion-forum/255978-changes-schuyl-co.html

That is one of the older articles, and it mentions than the VHF system will be available to low-band fire (and hopefully EMS) users if they can no longer find VHF-low equipment. Hopefully they have built in simplex and conventional repeated analog tac / fireground channels.

No info on the county website. The "911" heading goes to SCEMA, and SCEMA doesn't say anything about their communications system.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
I also found WPVF357, WPVH382, WPVH208 respectively for 152.2125, 152.5475,152.7875 respectively. They all fall into a "frequency range".

They're all ATTN: Scott Krater, who is mentioned in the articles that refer to the new system. A polite, well-worded request for information from a local monitor or group might elicit more information. Address: 435 North Centre Street, Pottsville, PA 17901, which is the Schuylkill County Communications - Office of Public Safety Building and OEM.

joeyvb

Working in Schuylkill County today, I discovered a P25 trunked system on VHF. It is entirely encrypted, at least everything I heard over the 90 minutes I was able to monitor was enc.

are you able to tell what type of encryption it is also how many types of encryption are there (new to P25 and encryption) i live and work in this are Greens is trying to force the APX series of radios on us and i am looking to save about 3000 dollars by getting a use P25 capable portable.I just need to know what type of encryption it is so i can buy the board. looking to get a XTS3000 series with no encryption board in it at the moment.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
are you able to tell what type of encryption it is also how many types of encryption are there (new to P25 and encryption) i live and work in this are Greens is trying to force the APX series of radios on us and i am looking to save about 3000 dollars by getting a use P25 capable portable.I just need to know what type of encryption it is so i can buy the board. looking to get a XTS3000 series with no encryption board in it at the moment.

Motorola has been offering ADP encryption as a "freebie" with all of their new APX radios. Several police and fire agencies that have purchased them here in the Midwest, have decided to use this proprietary encryption format to thwart eavesdropping by criminals, and to put an end to unauthorized online audio streaming. This makes it next to impossible for neighboring agencies that have radio equipment from other vendors to communicate with Motorola equipment using ADP.

Before buying an XTS3000, I would find out what the intentions are of using Project 25 Phase II technology on this system. The radio in question doesn't support Phase II modulation. However, all of the APX radios will support Phase II.

73's

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.