RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2017, 7:47 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 251
Default

As far as I know, Presque Isle State Park in Erie is part of the state Opensky system. But I found this FCC license page, and now I wonder if Presque Isle is on separate system. Can someone look at this and let me know if you can tell if this is an Opensky system, or maybe a P25 instead? I'm not sure if they will join the new Erie County system or not later this year. ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked License - WPQE661 - COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2017, 4:05 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 132
Default

There's a pending application with the Erie County Department of Public Safety for 460.1000:

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQZD326 - ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Looks they are finally going to take over dispatch for the East Erie County police departments. There's a note about in the RR DB. Did the Wesleyville, Lawrence Park, and North East decide against joining the new P25 Phase II system?
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2017, 6:16 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NW PA
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland138 View Post
There's a pending application with the Erie County Department of Public Safety for 460.1000:

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQZD326 - ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Looks they are finally going to take over dispatch for the East Erie County police departments. There's a note about in the RR DB. Did the Wesleyville, Lawrence Park, and North East decide against joining the new P25 Phase II system?
This may be the TAC frequency mentioned in the referenced note; "When this takes place Wesleyville PD, Lawrence Park PD, and North East PD will be dispatched on 1 repeater frequency. All departments will have their own simplex frequencies for Car to Car and Tactical operations."
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2017, 7:15 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland138 View Post
There's a pending application with the Erie County Department of Public Safety for 460.1000:

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQZD326 - ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Looks they are finally going to take over dispatch for the East Erie County police departments. There's a note about in the RR DB. Did the Wesleyville, Lawrence Park, and North East decide against joining the new P25 Phase II system?
I just received this update from the 911 Center Director:
"The East County Emergency Communications Center will remain independent of Erie County Dispatch; however, East County Emergency Services (police, fire, EMS) including East County Dispatch have opted-in to the new P25 NG Radio System for early 2018".
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2017, 5:38 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 251
Default

Here's another update from the 911 Center Director:
"A public meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 21st at the Perry Hi-Way Hose Company, 8281 Oliver Road, Summit Township.

The Presque Isle State Park Rangers will continue to operate on the State 800 MHz Radio System for daily operations; however, an ISSI Interface has been considered (established) to provide for interoperability between systems."
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2017, 7:25 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 251
Default

The Erie County Department of Public Safety will host a public meeting to provide an update on the progress in the procurement and implementation of the county’s Next Generation Public Safety Radio System.

The meeting, which is open to the public, will be Wednesday, June 21, at 6 p.m. at the Perry
Hi-Way Hose Company (Station 43) Social Hall, 8281 Oliver Road in Summit Township.
The project update and discussion will be facilitated by Mike McGrady, president of MCM Consulting Group, and John Grappy, director of Public Safety. In addition, representatives from radio manufacturer E.F. Johnson will be in attendance to provide information on the system design and to address questions from emergency service providers and the general public.

The goal of the project is to migrate current county radio systems to a common platform, providing a technologically advanced communications system that meets the needs of all Erie County residents and first responders.

Emergency service providers and the general public are encouraged to attend.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NW PA
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
The Erie County Department of Public Safety will host a public meeting to provide an update on the progress in the procurement and implementation of the county’s Next Generation Public Safety Radio System.

The meeting, which is open to the public, will be Wednesday, June 21, at 6 p.m. at the Perry
Hi-Way Hose Company (Station 43) Social Hall, 8281 Oliver Road in Summit Township.
The project update and discussion will be facilitated by Mike McGrady, president of MCM Consulting Group, and John Grappy, director of Public Safety. In addition, representatives from radio manufacturer E.F. Johnson will be in attendance to provide information on the system design and to address questions from emergency service providers and the general public.

The goal of the project is to migrate current county radio systems to a common platform, providing a technologically advanced communications system that meets the needs of all Erie County residents and first responders.

Emergency service providers and the general public are encouraged to attend.
That would be a very good time NOT to bring up encryption! The radio people are aware of it but any politicians there may not be and lets not give them any ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2017, 3:47 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbender View Post
That would be a very good time NOT to bring up encryption! The radio people are aware of it but any politicians there may not be and lets not give them any ideas.
Good idea! I think I recall in looking at the proposal, there are a couple encrypted channels designated for the PD. I am attending the meeting, and will post any significant news.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2017, 5:49 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
Good idea! I think I recall in looking at the proposal, there are a couple encrypted channels designated for the PD. I am attending the meeting, and will post any significant news.
Well, I did attend the meeting and encryption was brought up by a police chief in the audience. He asked if their dispatch channel could be encrypted, or if a group of police agencies in his area could all encrypt. The answer was the police radios cost more, and encryption could be done for any agency. It wasn't clear to me if all police will be encrypted automatically in the county or not, so I'm trying to get that clarified. They are providing low-power non-repeated encrypted channels already as part of the proposal.

Someone else asked about what scanner listeners could hear, and they talked about how expensive the scanners are now, and how it's difficult for them to monitor P25 systems (?).

Another big thing that came up was a new implementation schedule. Originally testing was to be done in January, 2018, with implementation starting in March. Now, testing won't be done till Spring, with agencies starting to use it in July. Completion not till December. Reason given was they don't want to test till the leaves come out on the trees (?), since testing with no leaves in January wouldn't be a true test. This was never given as a reason before, and all the news agencies are still reporting March as the completion date.

There will be 2 simulcast cells, urban including Erie City and Millcreek as one cell, and the rest of the county as another cell. Hopefully this may cut down on scanner listening problems caused by simulcasting. No new towers have been built yet, as they are only doing core drilling sampling now.

The presentation file of the meeting will be posted on the web soon. I'll provide more info as I get it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2017, 9:13 AM
Septa3371CSX1's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Drexel Hill, PA
Posts: 968
Default

They need to do the coverage testing when the leaves are on the trees because it affects signal penetration and coverage.
__________________
Joe Butler
Pro 95, Pro 97, Pro 106, Pro 651, Pro 668, & PSR 310 - Scanning the Delaware Valley!
Septa3371CSX1@aol.com
Victory5318@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gettysburg, Pa
Posts: 534
Default

Would one of you guys please confirm some info
regarding Presque Isle SP.

Are they using the DNR frequencies (VHF-H) listed
in the RRDB or on the 800 open sky system ?
Perhaps both ?
There have been several heated debates on RR
and no clear answer has emerged..
Thanks...
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2017, 3:09 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NW PA
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3DMV View Post
Would one of you guys please confirm some info
regarding Presque Isle SP.

Are they using the DNR frequencies (VHF-H) listed
in the RRDB or on the 800 open sky system ?
Perhaps both ?
There have been several heated debates on RR
and no clear answer has emerged..
Thanks...
It is all Open Sky now. Rangers, life guards & maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2017, 6:17 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbender View Post
It is all Open Sky now. Rangers, life guards & maintenance.
Agree, that is correct. They are using it, but coverage is terrible for the lifeguards. They plan to stay on the new state VHF system too, but encryption plans are not yet known.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2017, 7:00 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gettysburg, Pa
Posts: 534
Default

Thanks for the input..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions