RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum


Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 19
Default Erie County P25 System

The contract for the “Next Generation” P25 Phase II communication system in Erie county was awarded to EF Johnson/Kenwood and construction will be under way. It will be a 21 site two cell six channel trunked system. It is proposed to be in operation by spring of 2017. I anticipate seeing a lot of old analog scanners in the garbage piles soon.

-Mark-
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2016, 3:18 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 222
Default

Interesting. I am moving to the area in that time frame, and was just thinking all my digital stuff was going to be overkill. Guess not
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2016, 6:26 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPalmer View Post
The contract for the “Next Generation” P25 Phase II communication system in Erie county was awarded to EF Johnson/Kenwood and construction will be under way. It will be a 21 site two cell six channel trunked system. It is proposed to be in operation by spring of 2017. I anticipate seeing a lot of old analog scanners in the garbage piles soon.

-Mark-
I believe it won't be operating until the end of 2017-early 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2016, 4:14 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NW PA
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPalmer View Post
I anticipate seeing a lot of old analog scanners in the garbage piles soon.

-Mark-
That depends which agencies actually op into the system. All that has been reported in the media is "First responders". Time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2016, 4:48 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default

I anticipate heavy participation in the new system. Those opting out will face lots of expenses to operate on their own. There will be 2 public hearings on 8/23 to discuss progress. I went to the last one in March - very interesting stuff! There is more background info on the Erie County Gov. web site too.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2016, 11:50 AM
ScanWI's Avatar
MN & WI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 792
Default

News article
Contract awarded for next generation public safety radio system -
__________________
____________________________________
"If it don't glow, don't buy it"
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2016, 4:19 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default

I'll be at the 1:00 meeting on Tue., and will report back on anything worthwhile. I also have a contact at the 911 Center if any questions arise.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2016, 6:04 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
I'll be at the 1:00 meeting on Tue., and will report back on anything worthwhile. I also have a contact at the 911 Center if any questions arise.
Great meeting! Turns out all public safety agencies in Erie County opted in to the new system. If not, they would have had to pay 100% of costs on their own to interact with the system. E.F. Johnson was there and showed off their Viking radios for the new system. They will be providing 95% transmit/receive capability in the whole county. Info from the meeting may show up on the Erie County Gov't. web site.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2016, 2:28 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 145
Default Pending FCC application for Erie County Public Safety System

There's now a pending application for the initial deployment of the trunked multisite simulcast UHF P25 Phase II Erie County Public Safety Radio System: ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0007585887 - ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Sites and frequencies listed on this application are:

Erie 40, Presque Isle State Park, Erie, PA:
460.25, 460.35, 460.45. 460.55, 460.025, 460.125

Erie 93, 8450 Station Rd., North East, PA:
453.05,453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

650 East Smith St., Corry, PA:
453.05 453.175, 453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Erie 92, North Side of US Route 6N, Edinboro, PA:
453.05, 453.175, 453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Erie 91, 0.65 Miles East of Albion PA on Route 6N, Albion, PA:
453.05, 453.175,453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Elk Creek Access Rd., Lake City, PA:
453.05, 453.175, 453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Being within 50 miles of Canada (i.e. Line A) and requiring coordination, as well as possibly utilizing up to 20 sites, the application says that system won't be completed until December, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2016, 5:33 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland138 View Post
There's now a pending application for the initial deployment of the trunked multisite simulcast UHF P25 Phase II Erie County Public Safety Radio System: ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0007585887 - ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Sites and frequencies listed on this application are:

Erie 40, Presque Isle State Park, Erie, PA:
460.25, 460.35, 460.45. 460.55, 460.025, 460.125

Erie 93, 8450 Station Rd., North East, PA:
453.05,453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

650 East Smith St., Corry, PA:
453.05 453.175, 453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Erie 92, North Side of US Route 6N, Edinboro, PA:
453.05, 453.175, 453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Erie 91, 0.65 Miles East of Albion PA on Route 6N, Albion, PA:
453.05, 453.175,453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Elk Creek Access Rd., Lake City, PA:
453.05, 453.175, 453.4125, 453.55, 453.65, 453.75, 453.85

Being within 50 miles of Canada (i.e. Line A) and requiring coordination, as well as possibly utilizing up to 20 sites, the application says that system won't be completed until December, 2018.
Here is some new information from the Director of the Erie County 911 Center:

"Erie County Government awarded the contract to EF Johnson on August 16, 2016 for the procurement and implementation of the new public safety radio system. The implementation of the new radio system is December 31, 2017; however, Erie County will begin transitioning public safety users onto the new radio system in early January through March 2018. As part of the new system design, the new radio system infrastructure will consist of 17 tower sites; eight of the sites will be new construction. MCM Consulting Group is actively making application for frequencies through the APCO Frequency Coordinator and the Federal Communications Commission. The project completion date is December 31, 2018."
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 1:32 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 779
Default

Deleted post, just read the report and it mentions there will be one analog frequency for paging purposes.

Last edited by kg4pbd; 12-15-2016 at 1:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2017, 5:16 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 145
Default Erie County completes first phase of public safety radio system

Local news story about new dispatch consoles

Erie County completes first phase of public safety radio system - News - GoErie.com - Erie, PA
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2017, 6:32 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default

Can someone explain the simulcast feature of this system? I hear that even the best scanners out there now will have trouble hearing this type of system clearly. Has to do with all the towers broadcasting the same messages at the same time. If you are between towers the scanner can't decide which signal to listen to. Anyone have any experience with this type of system?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2017, 10:12 PM
rrbum's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
Can someone explain the simulcast feature of this system? I hear that even the best scanners out there now will have trouble hearing this type of system clearly. Has to do with all the towers broadcasting the same messages at the same time. If you are between towers the scanner can't decide which signal to listen to. Anyone have any experience with this type of system?

Have you read this? Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2017, 5:22 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
Can someone explain the simulcast feature of this system? I hear that even the best scanners out there now will have trouble hearing this type of system clearly. Has to do with all the towers broadcasting the same messages at the same time. If you are between towers the scanner can't decide which signal to listen to. Anyone have any experience with this type of system?
We just went to a P25 simulcast system in Franklin County, OH last year. I can tell you that at work (911 dispatcher) the audio quality is great. At home, my 996p2 does pretty good, but I'm pretty close to one of the tower sites. The link listed in the reply above is a good read. Our system is 7/800 MHz, not sure if it would be any different in the 400 MHz range. Some users here have had great success with the new Unication receivers, but those come with a hefty price tag. This will be interesting to follow as I'm moving to the area this year.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2017, 7:10 AM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pequannock Township NJ
Posts: 39
Default Simulcast in NJ

Simulcast can be a challenge at times depending on your location and the location of the broadcasting towers. I have a BCD536 located at my job that is about 1/2 a mile away from one of four towers. This scanner comes in perfect. I have another 536 at home which is located between two towers. The distance between the two towers and my house is almost the same. The important word here is ALMOST. One tower is less than a 1/4 mile different in distance. I have spent 100's of dollars on different antennas and cables trying to get it perfect at my house. I have moved the antennas all over my house and outside.I have even tried different scanners (996P2). The 996 has even more issues with simulcast than the 536. I have read every article in RR about simulcast and have tried all. My last step is to sell my house and move closer to one of the towers. (if my wife lets me)
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2017, 8:33 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default Towers

I've attached a map of the towers for this new system. My location is shown by the red X in the middle. Based on my location and the nearest towers, do you think I'll have trouble hearing this simulcast system?
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2017, 9:27 AM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pequannock Township NJ
Posts: 39
Default Simulcast

Yes I think you will have trouble depending on the exact distance between the two towers close to our home. What scanner will you be using? What type of antenna are you using?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NW PA
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelanhome View Post
Yes I think you will have trouble depending on the exact distance between the two towers close to our home. What scanner will you be using? What type of antenna are you using?
The system won't even be testing till late this year. I plan to start with one of the Uniden scanners, with a good indoor back-of-set antenna. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll keep trying.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pequannock Township NJ
Posts: 39
Default Simulcast

Check back with me later this year!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions