RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 8:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Credible info I have is that the planned change does NOT include going Phase 2. The codeplugs in the radios still don't support it. The grumbling is that all the district channels WILL go encrypted while J and T stay in the open for outside agencies. I took a ride one day all over the city and especially sat at the end of the subway tunnel at 44th & Market and observed no signals anywhere in the 700 range. The rumor is that Site 5 and 6 is in fact going to be for underground city use but as of that day they were not transmitting.
Old 06-28-2018, 8:06 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Furthermore, when you think about it, these gradual upgrades make sense. The city can't afford to just plunk down millions for a complete new system, so they are doing it in steps. We saw the first step when they replaced the FD portables with APXs and switched out all the repeaters and controllers. They were replaced with Phase 2 capable equipment. Next we recently saw the complete replacement of all the PD portables with APXs. Now it seems the next step is upgrading the encryption and adding in the underground system they wanted back when the FIRST moved to 800 MHz. My thinking is the next step after this is the boys on the police side may finally see mobile radios in the cars again. And then it will snow and snow and snow LOL
Old 07-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Location: monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and bearcat 560xlt

Heard a rumor from 2 people that a small quantity of mobiles may be ordered by next year on a trial basis. I heard 5 per district and highway will get a few.