RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 2:18 PM
RRDB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

On May 29, the acquisition of the Tyco Electronics Wireless Systems business was completed by Harris Corporation. Our business will be known as the Public Safety and Professional Communications business unit of Harris’ RF Communications Division.

Moderator: PhillyScanner Yahoo Group
Owner: http://www.scan-pa.com/
Webmaster: http://www.centralpafire.com/
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2009, 9:41 AM

Default Opensky

I just watched the video about Cumberland County on the "Community News" area. Thought it would be a good idea to ask a couple of questions here:

1. Is Cumberland County hilly/mountain area, or relatively flat land?
2. When they went to 800 mhz, did they vacate a bunch of VHF frequencies?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Cumberland County is a valley surrounded by mountains to the north and south. They vacated vhf low frequencies for both fire and police 45 and 46 mhz when they moved to OpenSky.
Old 01-02-2010, 9:00 AM

Default Thank youj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsenft View Post
Cumberland County is a valley surrounded by mountains to the north and south. They vacated vhf low frequencies for both fire and police 45 and 46 mhz when they moved to OpenSky.
All right, Mattsenft, thanks for the info. One of my favorite wah-wah's here is that it's just a bad idea to implement 800 voice, regardless of whether it's analog, P25, OpenSky whatever, when the terrain is hilly or mountains. I just think it's a bad idea.

Without anyone even telling me what the issue was with the old VHF, I'll bet it was range. "The reception is terrible". And I'm sure that was true. Since it was VHF low, I'll venture to guess that they were using the same antenna and feedline for over 30 years. Which means the coax on the bases had more loss than a soaker hose in the garden. This is how vendors sell new radio systems, they find a municipality that has had the system for over 20 years, tell them how much better a new and improved radio system could be, and fail to mention that if they just change out the antenna and coax, the old system would be just fine. There's much more money in selling a multi-million dollar 800 mhz system, than selling $1500 worth of antenna and feedline.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Swapping radios

http://dps800.blogspot.com/2010/01/radio-exchange.html

Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Actually, Cumberland County is still utilizing their 3 VHF-Low fire frequencies due to voice/siren paging and mutual aid channel/ops
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The portables are all being swapped out for a different model, as the original portables were not compatible for rebanding.

Old 03-12-2010, 9:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Our department portables have been swapped out. Much nicer, easier to operate and seem to be built more durably. Time will tell...

Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 PM

Kevin or Peter, have you guys found an iPhone compatable feed for Cumberland county? The one on this site does not play.
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2010, 9:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cctruck17 View Post
Kevin or Peter, have you guys found an iPhone compatable feed for Cumberland county? The one on this site does not play.
Jamey,

Just found this...sorry for the delay.

Did you find the scanner application for the iPhone yet that actually uses the feeds from here?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Cool A history lesson

I wonder who wrote this. Notice the comment abt Shippensburg? It says additional resources were placed there..no word on that the PD there was ready to switch back to their "old" system because of spotty Open Sky coverage.
http://dps800.blogspot.com/2010/07/r...-22-years.html
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Still some problems

Department of Public Safety 800 MHz Radio Blog: Battery Care and Maintenance Session
Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Exclamation Panic button

Cumberlink.com: New radio feature may save firefighters' lives
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Good article. I like how the media worked up the emergency button to be such an advanced feature that is going to work wonders.
Yes - It is beneficial in certain life threatening situations, but I bet they're going to have a few months of false alarms while every guy wants to test it out
Old 03-29-2013, 8:10 PM
Pennsylvania DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I'm reaching out to locals in the Cumberland County area to monitor some of the conventional frequencies still listed on the county database page:

Cumberland County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

This list has remained mostly unconfirmed (with the exception of the fire lowband, regional interop, and Med 10) since the move to OpenSky happened.

I'd like to know if any local police/fire/ems utilize anything other than OpenSky on a secondary basis at this point. Also, the municipal services frequencies need confirming, too.

Any help is appreciated so I (or another admin) can clean up this page.

I know from reading the communications manual that there are "Municipal" and and "Agency" talkgroups on the county system so this would reduce the need for any secondary (VHF/UHF) equipment. How are the "Municipal" talkgroups used? Are they used by public works personnel or are they a local interop for municipal police, the local ambulance service, and the local fire dept.?

Last edited by benrussellpa; 03-29-2013 at 8:41 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2013, 8:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'll dedicate a scanner to the Shippensburg freqs (fire and pd along with S/U pd) and the old med freqs. I am actually in Chambersburg.
Old 04-01-2013, 8:34 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I still have most of the public safety low band frequencies in a scanner that I listen to regularly, and there is no activity. I am not sure about municipal. I don't recall hearing anything on the station low band radio since the switch. We had Lemoyne and Wormleysburg boro channels in there. I will pay a little more attention, but I think everybody on this end of the county is using OpenSky exclusively.

Old 08-26-2013, 7:20 PM

Default PA OpenSky users

Any STARNet OS users on here ? How is your system working?

Oakland Co. Michigan uses OS also. They first started installing it in 2002.
Our system gets the calls handled but I still notice problems:

-The loudness of the calls varies from call to call.

- Occassional nasally sound

- Received transmission starting good but last few words are unreadable and echo about three times. ( I have recorded proof)

We still have some of the old Tyco Electronics P7200's and M/A Coms.

I've been on the system since 2009. Northern Oakland Co.
Old 08-28-2013, 8:13 AM

Default Commonwealth of Pennsylvania & Cumberland County

I know the Commonwealth is looking at changing out OpenSky equipment for a P 25 Compliant system using aa combination of 800 and VHF 150 Range. It looks like VHF 150 Band is going to be implemented in the Northern Mountainous Areas to improve reception and staying 800 in the rest of the State.

I don't know if all radios are going to be a combination of 800 and VHF Radios in all the Commonwealth Agencies. Just a have to wait until more information comes out.

As for -The loudness of the calls varies from call to call. This does happen on the Commonwealth Radios.

As for the - Occassional nasally sound. I don't really think so.

As for the - Received transmission starting good but last few words are unreadable and echo about three times. ( I have recorded proof) Not on the Commonwealth system.. Listening to Cumberland County on their 800 tie in into the Low Band Dispatch.. An occasional Donald Ducking where all the packets don't complete the transmission.. especially happens when a vechicle goes responding inside the Fire Station Garage.

When listening to a patch of Cumberland into the York System.. It sounds like crap a lot..

Tags