RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Pennsylvania.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 8:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr_inc View Post
Dauphin does not allow any other manufactures radios due to the inability to be OTR'd (over the air rekey).. Moto uses their own system key structure which no other manufacturer uses...Thus, no rekeying, no ability to be on the system (per Dave Murdoch)
So a York County unit who will only be accessing fire talk groups (none of which are using encryption, there-by not needing re-keying) should be able to access the system without issue.

Quote:
York has been open to ANY radio that met the spec's apporved by the Communications committee.. That included Kenwood, EF Johnson, Datron.. Motorola did NOT meet the spec due to the way the emergency button worked.. the committee saw the difference enough to "turn a TOOL into a TOY".. Moto's ability to clear the emergency without any dispatcher input was viewed as an officer safety issue..

York has always allowed and WELCOMED P25 radios from other manufactures..
I personally view the dispatcher's ability to clear my radio's emergency status without MY input as MORE of an officer safety issue.

Truth be told, on a Moto system, BOTH the dispatcher AND the user must clear the emergency status to fully reset the emergency. If only the user, but not the dispatcher, clears the emergency, the talk group still remains in emergency status. If the dispatcher clears the emergency, but the user does not clear his radio, as soon as the user re-keys again, the emergency is sent again. Redundancy and redundancy are good.
Sponsored links
††††††††
Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocguard View Post
So a York County unit who will only be accessing fire talk groups (none of which are using encryption, there-by not needing re-keying) should be able to access the system without issue.

I personally view the dispatcher's ability to clear my radio's emergency status without MY input as MORE of an officer safety issue.

Truth be told, on a Moto system, BOTH the dispatcher AND the user must clear the emergency status to fully reset the emergency. If only the user, but not the dispatcher, clears the emergency, the talk group still remains in emergency status. If the dispatcher clears the emergency, but the user does not clear his radio, as soon as the user re-keys again, the emergency is sent again. Redundancy and redundancy are good.
Apparently the comm director has a reason for his policies..

As for the console, You saw Baltimore County's set up but there are MANY different config's available to set how an emergency is handled.. York prefers and uses the dispatcher reset as their standard.. Once again, MOTO tried to change the world to their way and the rest of the field went with the P25 standard.. It's a shame Phil pass away as he was the only KNOWLEDGEABLE one in the Davies drive building.. He passed and Julio folded..

But either way... A Motorola, Kenwood or whom evers P25 radio will work just fine on the York Harris system..
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is the pilot system for Lancaster City currently being built? How are things progressing?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 PM

As of this week, the contract had not been signed. I've heard that it's due to minor issues and is to be signed soon, with the small test system in the Lancaster city area to be done late fall/early winter.

If all goes well, they could be loading users early next year.
Old 07-21-2012, 4:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the info. I hope things go well for them this time.
Old 07-22-2012, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NodrogCop View Post
As of this week, the contract had not been signed. I've heard that it's due to minor issues and is to be signed soon, with the small test system in the Lancaster city area to be done late fall/early winter.

If all goes well, they could be loading users early next year.
Is there any information on what they are setting up for a "test system"?
Old 07-23-2012, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancopa View Post
Is there any information on what they are setting up for a "test system"?
Don't know exactly. I don't think they're going to be loading users. Maybe just testing coverage and features with techs? That's a total guess on my part.
Old 07-26-2012, 2:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Dauphin does not allow any other manufactures radios due to the inability to be OTR'd (over the air rekey).. Moto uses their own system key structure which no other manufacturer uses...Thus, no rekeying, no ability to be on the system (per Dave Murdoch)
Totally incorrect. Motorola uses P25 standard OTAR (rekeying). This is for encryption. All other current P25 radios work with Motorola OTAR. System key has nothing to do with OTAR.

Either lies by Dave Murdoch or you misuderstood what his is talking about.
Old 08-08-2012, 2:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quick question for everyone. Letís say Iím a student in Lancaster County and I have been spending a lot of time with Lancaster EMS (LEMSA). I notice the have a different or additional radio system compared to the rest of the county units. In the trucks themselves they have the county low band but they have an additional Motorola radio that appears to be digital in nature. (Iím from York Co. so the delay and the digital errors are similar with their radios ars are ours.) So here is my question. Are the LEMSA radios on a digital trunked system? If so does anyone have any idea of the Freqís or IDís?
I asked on this forum because I thought it may also be from the system LCWC got rid of.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2012, 9:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjb58 View Post
Quick question for everyone. Let’s say I’m a student in Lancaster County and I have been spending a lot of time with Lancaster EMS (LEMSA). I notice the have a different or additional radio system compared to the rest of the county units. In the trucks themselves they have the county low band but they have an additional Motorola radio that appears to be digital in nature. (I’m from York Co. so the delay and the digital errors are similar with their radios ars are ours.) So here is my question. Are the LEMSA radios on a digital trunked system? If so does anyone have any idea of the Freq’s or ID’s?
I asked on this forum because I thought it may also be from the system LCWC got rid of.
LEMSA has had their own private VHF channels for some time. In the past, it seemed that county would tone a 612 unit, then LEMSA would re-dispatch that unit on their private channel. Also, I believe that LEMSA does (or had in the past) called in patient reports on their private frequency. The LEMSA comm center is (or was) located at LGH. I never knew them to be digital, but that could have changed.

155.34000 WNFC381 BM 192.8 PL LancasterEMS Lancaster EMS FM EMS-Talk
155.40750 WPQK401 RM 025 DPL LancasterEMS Lancaster EMS Association FM EMS-Talk
Old 08-10-2012, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjb58 View Post
Quick question for everyone. Letís say Iím a student in Lancaster County and I have been spending a lot of time with Lancaster EMS (LEMSA). I notice the have a different or additional radio system compared to the rest of the county units. In the trucks themselves they have the county low band but they have an additional Motorola radio that appears to be digital in nature. (Iím from York Co. so the delay and the digital errors are similar with their radios ars are ours.) So here is my question. Are the LEMSA radios on a digital trunked system? If so does anyone have any idea of the Freqís or IDís?
Someone has told me about this before and if I recall correctly, they are using an LTR Standard system, but it is NOT their own. They have permission to use it. I am not sure if that is the case though. Someone did have awhile ago a hand held radio that had a full key pad on it, and i don't think it was low band
Old 08-14-2012, 8:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Its not a trunked system that LEMSA has. It's a vhf repeater that LEMSA uses to talk to units in the field...

155.4075 with a DPL/DCS tone of 025. Input Freuquency is 150.7975, same DPL of 025. Their other frequencies in the UHF band are being terminated because they are not Narrowband... The repeater that LEMSA uses is connected via IP address,and that is the reason for the delay, sorta kinda like SKYPE

FCC Licensee Callsign: WPQK401

Last edited by Tommahawk; 08-14-2012 at 9:08 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 4:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Cool drumore twp

Drumore Township expects to purchase all new radio equipment by 2014 or face an essentially defunct system.

Township supervisors said they were not pleased with the situation when they discussed it at the board meeting Thursday because they paid for new radios at the behest of the county only a few years ago. The radios are used in public-safety and maintenance vehicles. Lancaster County is now in the process of switching over to a television communications band for its public-safety radio system, which will make new equipment essential

Public-safety radio equipment at issue in Drumore - News
Old 10-25-2012, 1:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lancaster EMS has switched to a MOTOTRBO uhf system. I think the main tower site is on LRMC and one or two others in the out lying areas. It is also crossbanded to the counties low band radio system.
Old 10-26-2012, 1:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Reference LEMSA..

Here is the latest letter from the FCC...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 129964720129261315920.pdf (17.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 10-27-2012, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommahawk View Post
Reference LEMSA..

Here is the latest letter from the FCC...
No one can pick up their system correct?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Anyone find any new things out? The radios are installed in some of the units already and no one posts no info? Like if they are staying Phase 1, or end up going Phase 2. Will the system be open, fully encrypted, or somewhat encrypted for SWAT, NARC etc. We can't be this far into the system and no one knows nothing about it.

Doesn't Lancaster City PD start testing?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Can anyone pick up the new LEMSA system?

Also I take it that there are no updates for the county?
Old 12-04-2012, 9:02 PM

Does anyone know if the city PD started their trial?
Old 12-12-2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancopa View Post
Does anyone know if the city PD started their trial?
I don't think anyone is testing anything yet. Lanco had the original contract amended to facilitate some technical changes.

Tags