Act 64 and Cambria County and "ticket/warning for obedience"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Out of curiosity, where is the actual law for Act 64? Is it part of the "Pennsylvania Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act"?

I noticed that at least in Cambria County, the dispatchers don't seem to like to ever say "possible drug activity" or "possible illegal drug activity", I always hear "possible act 64 activity" or something similar.

For example today, they said at a local hotel/motel, there were supposed to only be two people in a room, and there were people going in and out and a bunch of cars in the parking lot, small bags being taken back and forth indicating "possible act 64 activity".

I find it interesting, because the dispatchers here, hardly ever use acts or any statues, except when it comes to "Act 64".

Speaking of statues and acts, what's a "ticket/warning for obedience?" I often hear this after a traffic stop, the officer will say, something like, "was issued a ticket/warning for obedience."

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
RedPenguin said:
Out of curiosity, where is the actual law for Act 64? Is it part of the "Pennsylvania Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act"?

Contact your state rep or senator. The Commonwealth's statutes are not the easiest thing to get electronically if you want an official copy. Yes to Act 64 being shorthand for the Act you listed above.

I noticed that at least in Cambria County, the dispatchers don't seem to like to ever say "possible drug activity" or "possible illegal drug activity", I always hear "possible act 64 activity" or something similar.

This is fairly common across the state.

Speaking of statues and acts, what's a "ticket/warning for obedience?" I often hear this after a traffic stop, the officer will say, something like, "was issued a ticket/warning for obedience."

Umm...it's exactly what is sounds like...a ticket/warning for obedience to traffic control devices (i.e. speed signs, lights, whatever).

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
RedPenguin said:

I find it interesting, because the dispatchers here, hardly ever use acts or any statues, except when it comes to "Act 64".

Yes it is. I don't know why that one and sometimes 6308 (Underage drinking) party are the only ones you ever hear on the radio. Guess they think that no one know what it means.

RedPenguin said:

Obedience is 3111. Its a cop being "nice" and writing a person for a non point violation. Where as speeding gets the points which stay on your record the obedience ticket won't carry points. (And the two I have received over the years never appeared on driving background checks)

ctrabs74

Act 64 is pretty much a statewide term (except in Philadelphia).

Another statute code that's used regularly (at least by PSP Embreeville and West Chester PD) is 3802 - the new DUI statute implemented in 2004.

Interestingly, West Chester's "10-37" - intoxicated subject - was based primarily on the old DUI statute, which was Section 3731 of the Vehicle Code.

Sometimes, West Chester will call in a "2300" which is the Uniform Crime Report code for Public Intoxication/Public Drunkeness.

Oh the fun of figuring out codes sometimes...

RedPenguin

benrussellpa said:
Umm...it's exactly what is sounds like...a ticket/warning for obedience to traffic control devices (i.e. speed signs, lights, whatever).

I figured that, but when they tell dispatch that, how would they know to mark it down for speed signs, lights, or other? Or is it just a general warning for everything and everything gets the same fine?

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In Media, PA...

Act 64 is any offense involving drugs. Using, selling, under the influence of. Simple possession of marijuana is a felony offense in PA.

Underage drinking is UAD here and disorderly conduct is DC.

You know when they say "taking to xxx hospital for blood, you know it's DUI.

Media PD is really generous issuing warnings for traffic violations, expired registrations, etc. Media, being the Delaware county seat, they don't want to ticket attorneys, judges, jurors, etc.

They are pretty funny with the local trouble makers. It's almost comical, some of the comms I've heard. Nothing wrong with a PD's sense of humor! :)

Sector 2, the surrounding Delcom PDs go by the numbers for the most part.

I got a parking meter ticket in Media, I fed the meter but was delayed. I walked it into the police dept. and it only cost $2.00.

I got a ticket for parking in center city Philly next to a "No Parking" sign. Cost me $40!!! Served me right, dammit. I was only parked for five minutes.

Carry on...

Andy

ctrabs74

Boomeranger said:
In Media, PA...

Act 64 is any offense involving drugs. Using, selling, under the influence of. Simple possession of marijuana is a felony offense in PA.

The only felony charges relating to "Act 64" are for Possession With Intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance; for the most part, simple possession charges are misdemeanors.

Underage drinking is UAD here and disorderly conduct is DC.

West Chester also uses "DC" for disorderly, "PD" for public drunk, and occasionally, for underage drinking, they use "6308" - which is the section under the Pa. Crimes Code for that charge.

I got a parking meter ticket in Media, I fed the meter but was delayed. I walked it into the police dept. and it only cost $2.00.

If only West Chester was half as generous as Media. I'll stop here before I go off on a tangent about WC's overly agressive parking enforcement...

ctrabs74

benrussellpa said:
That's where you'll find your 1501, 3802, 3111, etc.

And, of course, one of my personal faves, the "1543" (driving under suspension).

That said, some of the wording under the Vehicle Code is almost comical, IMHO...

DEPUTY11

ctrabs74 said:
And, of course, one of my personal faves, the "1543" (driving under suspension).

That said, some of the wording under the Vehicle Code is almost comical, IMHO...
is that 1543-A or 1543-B ?

ctrabs74

DEPUTY11 said:
is that 1543-A or 1543-B ?

I've usually hearing WCPD say "1543" without A or B (1543-A is Driving Under Suspension/Non-DUI Related; 1543-B is Driving Under Suspension/DUI-Related, which calls for a mandatory 60-90 day jail term).

Status
Not open for further replies.