RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Photography

Photography Because an exposure is more than ISO, aperture and shutter speed....it's about the vision

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 1:56 AM

Smile looking to get into a career job in photography

I have been given advice from a professional sports photographer in Tallahasee Florida. Two of his friends that are newspaper photographers advised me not to be a newspaper photographer because everything is changing and there will be no more staff photographers and a lot of the remaining staff photograhers are being let go. So I am investigating several types of photography that are lucrative and that will stand the test of time. They are Fashion Photography, Forensic Photography, US Government photography.I'll let all of you reading this post what I have decided to go into.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2013, 4:01 AM

Default looking to get into a career job in photography

What do you like to shoot? You can shoot for money, but I hope you enjoy it too.

ie. I assisted a wedding for a friend as a second shooter b/c "that's there the money is" and I found I really don't like shooting weddings. Sports/events and doing travel/nature stock photography was more my thing.

One thing I've found is that while photographic talent is important, being a good businessperson and marketer is far more important. You gotta be a good shooter of course, but you gotta get yourself out there and get ppl interested in buying our work. As a pro, you're expected to get the shots needed every time.

What kind of experience do you have shooting?

(I agree 100% about the newspaper photog comment.)
Old 05-18-2013, 5:52 PM

Smile looking to get into a career job in photography

SKPhoton I love to shoot sports, but being a professional sports photographer is out because I would be on the road all the time and I would miss quality time with the family. The remaining choices are Fashion Photography, Forensic Photography, and being a photographer for the US Government. Right now I'm leaning toward Forensic Photography. My shooting experience- 11 years as President & CEO of Images by Ralph where I photographed weddings, high school seniors, children, and portraiture.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I started off by participating in photo contests for my local newspaper. I won a couple of those and got published in color in the paper! I was so excited and it fueled my drive to keep shooting. Here is an example of one of the contests I won. To see my name under my photo in color was an amazing accomplishment for me! Nothing fancy, just my cousin on a slip and slide!

Original shot