newsphotog rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Here is my current setup that was installed last Wednesday (October 29). It's installed in a 2004 Impala.

- Gamber Johnson ShortStack (part #GJ-SM212)
- Uniden Bearcat BCT15 scanner
- Yaesu FT-7800M 2m/70cm transceiver
- Tripp-Lite 375-watt power inverter mounted under the seat
- Larsen tri-band antenna (scanner)
- Diamond NR72BNMO dualband antenna (transceiver)

Don't give me any grief about the trunk lip mounts... I chose them because I want to be able to easily rearrange the antenna setup as I see fit in case I need to add more antennas in the future and I didn't want to be stuck to certain holes in the trunk.

The Diamond antenna is on the left in the picture and the Larsen is on the right.

Attachments

• DSCN0917.jpg
    DSCN0917.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,490
  • DSCN0921.jpg
    DSCN0921.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,615
  • DSCN0925.jpg
    DSCN0925.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,307
  • DSCN0928.jpg
    DSCN0928.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,859
Last edited:

Station51

Nice install! I agree about the lack of NMO mounts, but these days it seems that everything is going trunked anyway! :( NMO really made the difference with Low band and VHF!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Don't give me any grief about the trunk lip mounts... I chose them because I want to be able to easily rearrange the antenna setup as I see fit in case I need to add more antennas in the future and I didn't want to be stuck to certain holes in the trunk.

It doesn't matter what other people say; If it does it for you, and you're happy with the install, that's all that matters.

K

kb0nly

Nice clean install, well done! I don't care what you have for antennas or radios, when you tidy up the wiring like that, put some split loom on it, thats what always catches my attention first. I'm picky when it comes to stuff like that, a few minutes and a little extra attention makes it look NICE!

I was going to mention that too, 7800 is a dual band, but i got beat to it by Manny.

I was also going to ask the other question already asked, how well does the trunk open with them on the front edge like that?

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Nice clean install, well done! I don't care what you have for antennas or radios, when you tidy up the wiring like that, put some split loom on it, thats what always catches my attention first. I'm picky when it comes to stuff like that, a few minutes and a little extra attention makes it look NICE!

I was going to mention that too, 7800 is a dual band, but i got beat to it by Manny.

I was also going to ask the other question already asked, how well does the trunk open with them on the front edge like that?

Yeah, I don't know why I put it as a 2-meter. Either because I have been pondering a purchase of a new 2-meter radio or because all I use is 2-meter.

The trunk fully opens with no problems. Luckily the Impala has a pretty good slope to the back window. The antennas almost touch the glass, but not quite. I'm going to try to get out before work today and get a picture of the trunk open for you guys.

Navycop

The trunk fully opens with no problems. Luckily the Impala has a pretty good slope to the back window. QUOTE]

Can you put these on a pickup truck? Say the hood? I have a Tacoma and don't want any holes. I know what you're thinking -GO FOR IT AND MAKE HOLES>

Navycop

[QUOTE The trunk fully opens with no problems. Luckily the Impala has a pretty good slope to the back window. QUOTE]

Can you put these on a pickup truck? Say the hood? I have a Tacoma and don't want any holes. I know what you're thinking -GO FOR IT AND MAKE HOLES>

Last edited:

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Really nice setup.

Question; can you tell me who makes the bracket the radios are bolted to??

Tnx.

Status
Not open for further replies.