'05 Ford F-150 Mobile Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I've never posted any pictures of my "shacks" so here goes...

This is my mobile setup, I got my Tech license in June so I recently acquired a Yaesu FT-7900R. Both the Yaesu FT-7900R and the GRE PSR-500 are mounted on Mount Guys mounts. For the FT-7900R I took the attachment from the YSK-7800 Separation Kit and "jerry-rigged" it to the snake arm. The 500 uses an almost identical mount to hold the handheld (no jerry-rigging required).

The first and second pictures show the remote head of the FT-7900R and my GRE PSR-500. Both snakes are fastened to the same seat bolt and hold pretty firmly. I then run the remote power for the 7900 from the unit (which is behind my passenger's seat- third picture). At this time (until I install my remote speaker), the audio from the 7900 comes from my back right (not ideal- only temporary). Also, power for my PSR can be supplied via the 12V Aux (cigarrete lighter adapter that I removed for the aesthetics of these photos). The fourth is of my mag mount- again I know this is not ideal. Before anyone goes givin' me crap about the antenna just know that I don't plan on having this vehicle much longer and when I do finally get my next vehicle I've already purchased a Diamond NR72BNMO 2m/70cm dual bander- that I plan on drilling.

Attachments

• Radio in Cab.jpg
    Radio in Cab.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 6,328
  • Radios in Cab vert.jpg
    Radios in Cab vert.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5,174
Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
The rest of the story...

Attachments

• Yaesu Unit.jpg
    Yaesu Unit.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 5,471
  • Mag Mount res.jpg
    Mag Mount res.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 5,518

davidbond21

Hmm...I wonder whats in that black case in the photo of the Yaesu base? Looks like the ham radio security system to me. :wink:

Plus that's a nice reflection of you in the last picture and the building. Although seriously, I do think that those snake-arm mounts that you used worked out fantastic in there.

Flyham

So far so good! I have a 05 F-150 myself w/ 4x4. Of course that means a 4x4 shift lever along with 2 cup holders. I'm curious to see how the antenna install goes as well.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
So far so good! I have a 05 F-150 myself w/ 4x4.

So your truck has the ridiculous troughs in the roof also. It makes it hard to find an antenna that fits in those troughs (my mag mount pictures obscures the one in the center of the roof, but you can see the two flanking it). It was a little difficult to find a good dual-bander antenna that fits that trough, but the Diamond seems to fit. I'm considering just drilling the hole on the truck, if it ain't gonna be mine much longer I shouldn't worry right?

mike2009

This is my mobile setup, I got my Tech license in June so I recently acquired a Yaesu FT-7900R. Both the Yaesu FT-7900R and the GRE PSR-500 are mounted on Mount Guys mounts. For the FT-7900R I took the attachment from the YSK-7800 Separation Kit and "jerry-rigged" it to the snake arm. The 500 uses an almost identical mount to hold the handheld (no jerry-rigging required).

The first and second pictures show the remote head of the FT-7900R and my GRE PSR-500. Both snakes are fastened to the same seat bolt and hold pretty firmly. I then run the remote power for the 7900 from the unit (which is behind my passenger's seat- third picture). At this time (until I install my remote speaker), the audio from the 7900 comes from my back right (not ideal- only temporary). Also, power for my PSR can be supplied via the 12V Aux (cigarrete lighter adapter that I removed for the aesthetics of these photos). The fourth is of my mag mount- again I know this is not ideal. Before anyone goes givin' me crap about the antenna just know that I don't plan on having this vehicle much longer and when I do finally get my next vehicle I've already purchased a Diamond NR72BNMO 2m/70cm dual bander- that I plan on drilling.

Nice setup

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I used those flex mounts in the past. Great way of positioning the radio where you want it.

Now, get rid of your EMT and become a Paramedic! :)

Flyham

So your truck has the ridiculous troughs in the roof also. It makes it hard to find an antenna that fits in those troughs (my mag mount pictures obscures the one in the center of the roof, but you can see the two flanking it). It was a little difficult to find a good dual-bander antenna that fits that trough, but the Diamond seems to fit. I'm considering just drilling the hole on the truck, if it ain't gonna be mine much longer I shouldn't worry right?
Yep! One trough runs right down the middle of the cab!

K5RYA

sweet man! i should be getting my icom dual bander in this week and putting it in my ranger. i dont think your too far from my area, you ever get on the saltgrass link much?

HoooyaJohn

Premium Subscriber

I also have an '05 F150, but for the life of me can't figure out where you have the base of the FT7900 mounted in the truck.

davidbond21

It's behind the passenger seat. Also, look closely in the picture and you will see the term "mounted" is used in the loosest sense of the word here.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Finally, installed my Diamond NR72BNMO. I drilled the hole following the instructions of this video, which worked great. The antenna provides awesome reception to the FT7900 and not having the mag mount clean up the look (plus I was tired of having to remove it for the low bridges around here).

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 3,761

K5RYA

Finally, installed my Diamond NR72BNMO. I drilled the hole following the instructions of this video, which worked great. The antenna provides awesome reception to the FT7900 and not having the mag mount clean up the look (plus I was tired of having to remove it for the low bridges around here).

Wow man, looks nice, looks pretty low profile too! How long is it?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Wow man, looks nice, looks pretty low profile too! How long is it?

Yeah, as low profile as I wanted to go anyway. The total length of the antenna is 13.5".

But, I completely dismantled the whole setup on Saturday to prepare to trade my truck in. Got an '09 Ford yesterday (for a steal) and will have to reinstall the Diamond on my new truck... that's gonna have to be a whole new thread I guess.

SCPD

QRT
Dude, I'm about to purchase a 7900R. how do you like it overall? I really like the way it doesn't take up lots of space.

Nice install - Except I'm surprised to not see a Spectra in there also!

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Dude, I'm about to purchase a 7900R. how do you like it overall? I really like the way it doesn't take up lots of space.

Awesome- with a good antenna I have not one complaint about it. Programming by hand isn't intuitive, but the software more than makes up for it. It's a breeze and is so tiny...

Nice install - Except I'm surprised to not see a Spectra in there also!

No public saftey radios at this time. The new truck provides a few more mounting options so we'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.