New tower installation photos 7/26/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
Rooftop tower installation by Penn Tech International Penn Tech, International - Penn-Tech International They will do private work for individuals willing to pay for professional towerjacks. In a total of 13 hrs they installed this 4.5 ft Glen Martin rooftop tower with 3 side arms and a 10 ft center mast. The LMR-400 and -600 cables come down through a plastic cable duct. Tower and all antennas are each individually grounded to an insulated bus bar that is CAD-welded to an 8ft ground rod sunk below grade. I provided the antennas (Maldol HVU-8, Diamond discone, Nil Jon Super M, and a Comet SB224 with ground plane kit) and FFC pass-throughs. Total cost of installation was about $4000 for antennas, parts, and labor. Anyone looking for tower erectors in their area can check out NATEHome.COM: Home Page

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,411
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,450
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,321
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,509
K

kb0nly

Love it, looks great... But seriously $4k?? Thats like a $1k install tops.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
Love it, looks great... But seriously $4k?? Thats like a $1k install tops.

I respectfully disagree with the total cost being < $1000 as the tower and antennas (which I provided) are already over $1000, and this work is done in compliance with the National Electrical Code by experienced contractors. The other contractor quoted $3,700 for their part.

Coax management & ground system, LMR-400, LMR-600, labor and misc parts $2600; note that their cost for the LMR-400 and LMR-600 is much lower than mine would be as they buy in bulk and have large spools of the stuff.

Diamond DJ-130 base antenna $101

Diamond SBB-224 $70

Maldol HVU-8 base antenna $360

Super-M antenna $110

Tower, side arms, mast, lag bolts, and mast clamps with S&H $750

n8emr

Nice looking but way more money than I would have spent.The glen martin roof tower are pricy, but $400 for a short one.. Even with a cross mount and mounting hardware $750 seems pricey. I can get 100ft runs of LMR400/600 for about $100/run, so $400 in coax. Figure bulk runs are cheaper but you have time/money to terminate custom lengths. Antennas were almost $700. While grounding is important, All the grounding seems to be overkill. I also think I would have ask them to reroute the coax around the gutter and not lay it over the gutter. Nice looking job, but seems a bit pricy. If your happy with it and it works congrats.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Where are the grounds on the coax?

Looks like they used shield grounding kits on the coax. See where the coax exits the channel near the grounding bar, how there's a black ground wire running out from under tape from each coax run? That's the ground. Basically you strip the outer jacket off the coax, clamp a copper strap around the exposed shield, tighten it down, then cover it up with mastic and tape. As long as you seal it up good, it works very well.

I'm definitely not a fan of them laying all that wire over the gutter like that, much less using the downspout as a tie-off. Should've been routed off to the side and routed between the eave and the downspout so that nothing is touching metal.

And also that grounding bus bar should be bonded to the utility service ground so that everything is at the same potential. That's the right way to do it.

Last edited:

ffemt601

Looks like they used shield grounding kits on the coax. See where the coax exits the channel near the grounding bar, how there's a black ground wire running out from under tape from each coax run? That's the ground. Basically you strip the outer jacket off the coax, clamp a copper strap around the exposed shield, tighten it down, then cover it up with mastic and tape. As long as you seal it up good, it works very well.

Thanks I overlooked that, I thought that was where they tapped them together to run them down the channel.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
You all do have good points, and I will try to address some of the questions and concerns that have been generated.

The $750 cost is for the tower, mast, clamps, mounts, and side arms all together, plus S&H.

Yes, there could have been better ways to run the coax but bear in mind this is a townhome development, so some compromises had to be made to avoid going onto the neighbor's property line - taking the coax over the side of the house would cross onto someone else's property. However, there is no HOA to fight with about putting an antenna on the roof. (yes, I know about Part 97 rules, etc. but some HOA's are still very snippy about those "evil" antennas)

Given that the downleads are at the rear of the house and the utility service is at the front of the house it does require a compromise in grounding solutions to some extent, and with this setup additional penetrations of the house walls were avoided. We'll see what gravity does where the leads cross over the gutter, but right now they're clear of it.

'sides, since my own work (freestanding guyed mast slightly lower than roof height) was trashed by a falling tree, my insurance company paid for 87.5% of the work. Anything can usually be done better, but this is certainly much better than what I've had before.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
You guys have never spent much on professsionals. 2 guys at $90 an hour for 13 hrs. Lots of labor. This guy has a professional looking and grounded installation. I always enjoy professional and neat installations. Hope to see more pics from everyone.

ridgescan

Waay to expensive for the work done.
"way"-one "a"... "too"-two "o's"
nice installation OP:) we non-jealous types think so! Superior job done, and I for one would be proud of it. Looking forward to your description of its performance too. I want to hear what a stellar install like this yields in reception quality!

BufordT

Premium Subscriber
I Would like to see some more gear like Radios
scanners Too I use long Bombo Poles Building up My Gear Your Set Up is Ideal
Except For Lightining Hazzard On Roof Strikes But The Nice Thing I See You have Clay Roof Tiles
Very Well Done .....

NCFire11

nice installation OP:) we non-jealous types think so! Superior job done, and I for one would be proud of it. Looking forward to your description of its performance too. I want to hear what a stellar install like this yields in reception quality!

Didn't know this forum turned into an English class.

Seems we are judged by our opinions these days. You have yours I have mine.

WA8NPR

Premium Subscriber
Very impressive installation. I really like how the LMR cables are grounded. Looks super and I am sure it works well. Thanks for sharing and letting us all see such a professional installation.

K

kb0nly

I'm not being jealous, but i have two towers up for less than he spent on a roof mounted quad pod. The grounding is a nice job, i will give him that, i was going to put more work into the grounding this year on my towers before the tornado took everything, it will be a project for this fall now.

The coax over the gutter.... I would at least get a piece of split foam pipe insulation, i usually put on a piece of of the 1/2" pipe foam insulation when i have to pass a tv antenna cable over a gutter like that, sometimes with fascia mounted gutters you have no choice but to go over it, can't go behind it etc, but you better add some protection from chafing, cause i guarantee it will no matter how solid you think everything is, it will wiggle in the wind.

ridgescan

Just saying-why slam the guy when it's a done deal, and there's no unringing that bell? To make him feel like crap for over -spending HIS money? I fail to see the good that does. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.