RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 4:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for your kind words Jay it means a lot.

Most of my life has been spent tinkering, designing and building things. During the CB craze of the 70's I made a fortune installing, tuning and fixing CB radios. Unfortunately I squandered my riches on women and beer. Neither of which stayed with me for long. But I would struggle with an install or repair and when looking for advice the local HAMs would shun me because I was a CB'er and not as good as them.

I vowed to NEVER be like those A (blank) holes and this thread is part of my retribution. It is also the reason that I encourage folks to join the HAM community, join me so that we can prove that the new generation HAMs are just a vibrant, just as smart and just as inventive as they were--- if not MORE SO!
Old 01-30-2014, 2:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

By the way....

BIG THANK YOU to everyone that has stopped by to look, comment and share on this thread we now hove over 250,000 (that's a quarter of a MILLION!!) "hits" here on RadioReference!

I don't know if that is some kind of record or not but it sure does make me PROUD and grateful..!

And humbled.....

73's
Keith Fronk KG4LEO
Old 01-30-2014, 3:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You have a stellar setup that I firmly believe has inspired many in their own setups. The number of hits is a reflection on how helpful your posts were, the details you shared, and how interesting it has been to follow your progress.

And I think I speak for many when I say I hope it doesn't stop here.

Next stop: 500,000

Again, thanks for sharing it with us like you have.
Old 01-30-2014, 3:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It seems to me that you have gone along way toward that goal of being the opposite of the hams you described, and 250k hits seems to back that up. As 03msc I believe it reflects your attitude of helping and sharing your experience with this build. (And I'm sure past ones also). Thank you again. And as always, I'm looking forward to the next episode ��
Old 01-30-2014, 5:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I forgot to add, although i a relatively new to ham radio (going on about 2 1/2years licensed) I hope to also follow your vision for tje new generation of ham operators.
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2014, 3:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yep, I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner. For years I have been using a cheapie Web Cam to live stream video and occasionally catch something in the making. Many of you remember it as one of the first things mounted to the dash bracket:

Well, along came a good price on a Microsoft Studio Web Cam in high definition 1080p. What I liked was the super easy pan & tilt whereas the old camera just tilted. As long as you are upgrading, get some better image quality as well!

A little bit of modification to the mount was necessary because the rubber covered watchband construction made for too much vibration when going down the road. Little dremel here - little dremel there and some epoxy cut the vibration to zero and kept the pan - tilt function:

and the video this thing takes is phenomenal!

High definition bug guts!
Old 04-09-2014, 3:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Nice!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2014, 3:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Beautiful setup as always. How's things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4LEO View Post
Yep, I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner. For years I have been using a cheapie Web Cam to live stream video and occasionally catch something in the making. Many of you remember it as one of the first things mounted to the dash bracket:

Well, along came a good price on a Microsoft Studio Web Cam in high definition 1080p. What I liked was the super easy pan & tilt whereas the old camera just tilted. As long as you are upgrading, get some better image quality as well!

A little bit of modification to the mount was necessary because the rubber covered watchband construction made for too much vibration when going down the road. Little dremel here - little dremel there and some epoxy cut the vibration to zero and kept the pan - tilt function:

and the video this thing takes is phenomenal!

High definition bug guts!

Old 04-09-2014, 3:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC33 View Post
It seems to me that you have gone along way toward that goal of being the opposite of the hams you described, and 250k hits seems to back that up. As 03msc I believe it reflects your attitude of helping and sharing your experience with this build. (And I'm sure past ones also). Thank you again. And as always, I'm looking forward to the next episode ��
As someone who he has personally helped with radios and scanners let me tell you , his replies and info on here don't do justice to how he can help in person. He will work and explain everything to you in terms even a dumb fireman like me can understand !!! I was fortunate enough to work with KG4LEO in the same Engine house for a few years and pick his brain apart about radios and learn a lot. I got to see his previous vehicle and the Tahoe is just like that vehicle on steroids !! He takes pride in his work, as he should, and deserves ALL the credit given to him!! Good job Pal
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the kind words folks, it's always fun to sit around and talk radio, even better talking radio "ON" the radio...

Stay tuned, now that spring is here and it's warm enough to work outside again, I have a couple of projects including:

1. LED lighting for the rear cargo area
2. Upgrade the front Whelen Dominator grille light with newer LEDs
3. Side lighting for the running boards (courtesy and emergency lighting)

Also, now that the Mobile ThreatNet system is up and running I want to do quick tutorial on what NOT to do if you are looking at the WxWorx satellite delivered RADAR. (Think of it as mobile VIPIR RADAR that doesn't need an internet connection to work)

Lastly SPRING IS HERE! That means severe weather season is upon us. If you don't have a good weather APP for your smartphone may I suggest Baron's WxWorx APP, you can find it in Play and iTunes. I also use Weather Bug elite and PYKL3 RADAR but for the home you REALLY should have a weather radio and if you have one, now is the time to make sure it works!

I am not a paid spokesperson, I am a lazy Paramedic that wants people to stay safe so I don't have to come and get them.
Old 04-14-2014, 2:16 AM

Hey, very nice setup!!! what kind of performance you get out of your 900 megahertz stubby antenna through your 900 MHz Kenwood radio? also wondering how far you've been able to throw your 900mhz with 15 Watts???
Old 04-14-2014, 6:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was actually surprised at the performance! I have had a full quieting conversation over 40 miles away from the repeater site. Of course Memphis is pretty flat territory but that plays well to 900 MHz line of sight premise. I have not played much with it, mostly because I haven't had time and there aren't many folks on 900 but that being said.. I can get into the 900 repeater full quieting from anywhere I can reach the co-located 2 meter machine.

I'm looking forward to some more experimenting as longer days are upon us but so far, I'm very pleased with the little Kenwood.
Old 06-08-2014, 2:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey! So any updates or lovely pictures of the ride you can share with us? I was just thinking I haven't seen anything in this thread for awhile but I remembered you mentioning some upcoming projects (well, upcoming as of a couple of months ago) so I had to ask if anything has been added or changed lately.

Hope you're doing well and can share an update with us soon!
Old 06-08-2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4LEO View Post
I was actually surprised at the performance! I have had a full quieting conversation over 40 miles away from the repeater site. Of course Memphis is pretty flat territory but that plays well to 900 MHz line of sight premise. I have not played much with it, mostly because I haven't had time and there aren't many folks on 900 but that being said.. I can get into the 900 repeater full quieting from anywhere I can reach the co-located 2 meter machine.

I'm looking forward to some more experimenting as longer days are upon us but so far, I'm very pleased with the little Kenwood.

that's awesome I am looking into getting some 900 mhz equipment
I'll probably start with some Motorola DTR 650 handheld , I got to do a little more research and see if they can do conventional or not but from the testing I have done with those I'm pretty impresed !
Old 06-08-2014, 5:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On 4-27-2014 Arkansas was hit with multiple cyclical supercell thunderstorms that spawned several tornadoes. Among the cities hit were Mayflower and Vilonia. Earlier in the day I had experimented with a modified laptop - tablet / Jotto - RAM mounting system so I could run 2 tablets simultaneously.

As the day progressed I was joined by several other storm chasers near Caddo Valley, AR in a typical chaser convergence. I was convinced that storms would fire to the west of our location and implored the others to head that way. My core cadre' (DeAngelo and Storm Chase TN) ventured further west to Hot Springs, AR and made this intercept. The 'famous' chasers were too far west and couldn't catch this developing system.

The storm started out small with non descript rotation as we took pictures & video marking it's evolution and path northeast.

I popped over the hill at Perryville, AR just in time to see the wedge bear down on Mayflower, AR. I apologize for the poor quality of the screenshot. Mayflower is the cone on the right, the dark area straight ahead and to the left is precipitation.

Out of respect for victims I rarely release damage or 'gore' pics.

I learned my lesson (as usual) the hard way back in April of 2011 when a tornado hit the small Tennessee town of Etowah. I did damage assessment and took, what I thought was a unique picture of a house that had the wall ripped off but the computer was still sitting on the desk in the corner where the wall had once stood, clothes still hanging in the closet.

Several weeks later I had a chance to speak with the owner of the house. She told me that seeing pictures of her destroyed home all over the internet hurt just as much as having her home destroyed in the first place. I now have her permission to use this pic when imploring other chasers to be judicious about the damage pics they post.

Old 06-08-2014, 6:09 PM

I love your center console radio setup!!! that's exactly how mines going to
Look soon as I build it
Old 09-07-2014, 6:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey Keith...any new updates on the rig lately?

Are you still around the Shelby Co TN area? I PM'd you awhile back, thought I saw you on I-40 back in July.

If there are any updates I hope you can post here soon. Take care!
Old 09-07-2014, 8:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nothing new to report, just lots of little stuff. But I did get an Ellipsis 7 tablet for grins & giggles. I haven't started the drawers / cabinet in the back because of a lack of time and money. Metro has me moving around all over the state to fill in gaps here & there so it is quite probable that you have seen me out.

The back cabinet WILL get built, it just depends on when things settle down long enough to let me have time to do it.
Old 09-07-2014, 9:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX4EMT View Post
Nothing new to report, just lots of little stuff. But I did get an Ellipsis 7 tablet for grins & giggles. I haven't started the drawers / cabinet in the back because of a lack of time and money. Metro has me moving around all over the state to fill in gaps here & there so it is quite probable that you have seen me out.

The back cabinet WILL get built, it just depends on when things settle down long enough to let me have time to do it.
Thanks for the update! Take care out there and share it with us when you can!
Old 09-19-2014, 1:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For anyone that may still be following this forum there aren't many changes going on these days but I have stumbled onto something that I really want to share with you. If you are looking for a dual band / multi band antenna you might want to have a peek at this one: Laird Tech WPD136M6C-001 It is a short little powerhouse (about 18") that performs much better than it's specs. Designed for VHF/UHF/700-800 you wouldn't think much of a loaded antenna but this one makes up for it with a very low radiation angle. I have doubled the number of repeaters I can hit from the driveway and the reception is clearly better as well.

Installed

I am going to replace the VHF and quite possibly the scanner antenna with this little masterpiece. Since I don't transmit on UHF public safety band very often the low profile antenna will remain... for now.

This thing is amazing! (Disclaimer: I have no monetary interest in Laird or any antenna manufacturer, distributor or sales. Wish I did but I don't so this is not an advertisement.)

Tags
console, tahoe