2008 PPV Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I go to pick up my PPV Tahoe on the 29th but I am excited so I am going to go a head and start a build thread. I will be ordering my Uniden 996XT for it early next week hopefully. I will be getting my HAM soon and once I get that done I will be getting a Kenwood TM-D710A. I am also considering setup a wireless hot spot in it. I was planning to go with an OEM console with a Havis insert but I am having trouble finding an OEM console for a good price. That and I have found the Troy TMCWB consoles which look awesome so I may end up going with one of those in the 25 inch. If I go with the Troy the Uniden will go at the top of the slop followed by the HAM. At the far back I will put a FP-Lockbox6 w/ arm rest. Probably a dual cup holder in front of that and a triple 12 volt plug plate. That is the plan for now. We shall see once I start gathering my gear for it.

This is about how I am thinking but possibly in the wide console. Big $$ looks like but not much more than buying an OEM from the looks of the prices on eBay right now after I get a Havis insert for it.
a71d0004-ece0-703d.jpg

More pictures to come when I get it home.
a71d0004-ebc0-20f5.jpg

Last edited:

Tracker

More info. on the truck......? It didn't come with an OEM console...?
What will this truck be used for?

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
The PPV tahoe does not typically come with a console. It is a pursuit rated tahoe for law enforcement use originally. The agency it goes to will out fit it as they need it and remove all their equipment (most of the time) before selling it. This is my personal vehicle, it will be my DD and used when my family and I travel to visit family.

Tracker

You bought this Tahoe from a police department? (if so what's the mileage)?
Round my area the PD's use Ford's, but that Chevy is a tough lookin SUV! (any more pics)?

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
You bought this Tahoe from a police department? (if so what's the mileage)?
Round my area the PD's use Ford's, but that Chevy is a tough lookin SUV! (any more pics)?

I have a dealer I work with who buys from police departments and I bought it from them. This was a Michigan PD tahoe. It has 89,000 miles on it. It depends on the use as to what departments use. Here they run them all. Interstate interdiction and the TACT team run PPV tahoes, city K9 run 4x4 explorers and expeditions, and county K9 runs 4x4 tahoes and expeditions. I saw a county drug unit in a brand new explorer unmarked with Louisianna tags last night here. Here are a few more pictures from the dealer I got it from, I will get some good ones with my camera when I get it home next week. T

They (the departments it came from) had some whelen 500 series lights on the tailgate it looks like from the holes near the license plate so I am going to order some in white and wire them to the reverse lights to fill the holes and give me a bit more light when backing up.

a71d0004-1f09-4b28.jpg

a71d0004-1f16-bfde.jpg

a71d0004-1f22-f3f5.jpg

Last edited:

Tracker

Ok I see the missing console......do you know if this was a marked unit?

Had they mounted a prisoner transport "cage" or hacked up the interior much?
Although I guess the dealer mighta cleaned up that sorta stuff....

If this is goin yo be your DD driver then you may want to install the OEM console, just for the whole
aesthetics IMO......

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
It had a satena (sp?) cage so there are small cuts low in the B pillar plastic. It was a marked unit from the looks of it. Since I plan to mount radios in it I may go with the police style console for the versatility I will get with it. Not sure yet. It looks like it will cost me about the same unless I can find a deal on a clean used one.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just curious, which engine does it have in it? Have you figured out mpg yet?
Looks really nice! My hometown pd has a unmarked just like it,lol!

n9zas

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
It has the stock 5.3, only option for the police package tahoes. Depending on my foot I am hoping for 17ish. I have been on a tahoe/yukon forum and some are getting pretty decent but I have a heavy foot. A lot of people recommend a programmer and intake to help it a bit. I sent to a company and the employee that replyed said he went from 15.6 to 17.4 with just a reprogrammer on a 2010 with the 5.3. Some claim 20mpg average but I know with my foot that wont happen. If I can average 16-18 I will be happy. I have been driving a 2003 crown victoria which in the city only got me about 15mpg. Freeway was great at 25mpg with the crown victoria.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Good deal! However I can see why traffic in front of you might slow you down a tad! :lol:
Nice vehicle!

n9zas

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Good deal! However I can see why traffic in front of you might slow you down a tad! :lol:
Nice vehicle!

n9zas

LOL, yea.. that gets old. I am an LEO here and its bad enough in a marked car but you can't beat the deal on use police vehicles. They are typically maintained much better, especially in departments with take home cars, and you get them cheap. I paid about $8,000 less than I would have for a civilian Tahoe with the same miles. I don't have some of the options but for $8,000 less I dont care. It has rubber floors.. I have a new born that will soon be making messes everywhere. Rubber floors are easy to clean as are the leather/vinal seats in the rear.

Tracker

I think if your a bit heavy footed you'll do more like 11's to 12's realistically......on highway you might hit 17's.......maybe, (lol)

Can't wait to see it all decked out...

Make sure that you shampoo/disinfect that back seat before you put family in that car.......

Keep n eye on E bay for a used console.....maybe checkout some junk yards too......?

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I think if your a bit heavy footed you'll do more like 11's to 12's realistically......on highway you might hit 17's.......maybe, (lol)

Can't wait to see it all decked out...

Make sure that you shampoo/disinfect that back seat before you put family in that car.......

Keep n eye on E bay for a used console.....maybe checkout some junk yards too......?

Yea, that is what I am thiking too. The dealer I get it from cleans them good but I will be disinfecting it myself as well when I get it home. Between me and a buddy that owns a security company we have bought 15+ cars from the dealer. One of the cars we took the rear seats out of to clean had drugs a prisoner or something had stuff under the seat at some point!

I am keeping an eye out of eBay for a console but it looks like nearly $500 for most OEM consoles after shipping and I would still have to get the radio insert so I would be looking at nearly $700 to go OEM style. I could get a Troy for cheaper than that and have more options and room for gear. I am checking the local yards still and will continue to untill I am ready to buy the console. If I havent found a deal on an OEM I will just go with the Troy console.

Tracker

Ok, well since you are LEO, then you know what I mean bout the rear seat.....on some of the crown vics they put those hard plastic seats n then throw in the factory ones back in there at sale time......do you know if this particular department was CALIA certified? Cause that is requirements for certification

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Ok, well since you are LEO, then you know what I mean bout the rear seat.....on some of the crown vics they put those hard plastic seats n then throw in the factory ones back in there at sale time......do you know if this particular department was CALIA certified? Cause that is requirements for certification

Yea, Nasty stuff ends up in the back of some patrol vehicles. Been there far to many times. Thankfully I am not in patrol now.

I dont know since I dont know the department it came from but seeing as they use tahoes I would assume they are a decent size department and if that assumption is correct then I would also assume they would meet all needed certifications. I am not familure with the CALIA cert.. what is that?

lafd55

Trot consoles are the way to go. I have an 04 EX-NYSP and put in a Troy console and have loved it ever since. I got all my Troy stuff at dealer price from a guy in California.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Trot consoles are the way to go. I have an 04 EX-NYSP and put in a Troy console and have loved it ever since. I got all my Troy stuff at dealer price from a guy in California.

I am leaning toward it that is for sure. I was already familure with jotto but Troy tops the cake. Very nice looking consoles with lots of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.