Uk Mobile (non command) setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillmobile

Hi these are a few pictures of my van which is not a mobile command centre nor am i zombie hunting or responding to anything.
Antennas; from rear small glass mount is for uhf gm300 which i use as a crossband repeat of my tk-7180
rear sloping antenna is for the scanner, started life as a fm antenna and go butchered to be resonant at 80 and 160 mhz, next is a dual band whip for the tm-v71
next is a sirio 400hypower cb antenna
thena 3db vhf 160mhz (tk-7180)
then at the front a qtr wave at 144.800mhz for APRS (european freq)
IMGP1145.jpg

IMGP1146.jpg

APRS is a icom f110 and a argent tracker 2 with a garmin nuvi 350, the antenna has a diplexer on it and is shared with a uhf gp300 16 channel which is under the rear seat just for scanning local repeaters which frees up the ubc800xlt to get on with other things, i just have a switch on the speaker to turn it off sound as it comes on with ignition and is located between seats as shown below, i think its a good idea as i have a bucket full of gp300 and its cheaper than buying another scanner. you may also notice the mic at the rear of the console this is for APRS voice alert, 136.5hz in the uk, not that i ahve ever heard anyone but bob you will be glad to know at least i am doing it.
IMGP1156.jpg

car phone handset not wired to anything at this time.
Cb radio is a old murphy which does not suffer from ignition noise like all the new stuff, converted ch9 switch to ch19 so can switch between 14 and 19 ( both calling in uk) with out having to look at the radio.
Handset for tk-7180 on side of console, and mic for tm-v71 on side of seat
IMGP1155.jpg

Centre console, kenwood audio, ubc800xlt (note the gps antenna not yet finished) and a tk-7180
IMGP1151.jpg

Above mirror, tm-v71e and garmin nuvi 350 for APRS
IMGP1158.jpg

I the rear on one of the wheel arch covers i have installed 2 chargers from old kenwood chargers for tk-250/tk-350 the holders are real old but the charger boards are out of new ones that could run at 12v, the top switches, left unused yet and right hand one is for the kenwood and motoroal chargers and the twin cig light socket. Below is a small switch with allows me to turn the APRS system on without ignition and digipeat too, i have had this on all night and only droped 0.5v. Also some banna posts not wired up yet and a speakon connector for my bass cab when its in and then the speaker for the APRS voice alert just got to find the bracket haha.
IMGP1148.jpg

IMGP1149.jpg

a bit of wiring 3 radios in there, did have ft857 in there but in shack now so theres a uhf gm300, tm-v71 and a icom f110 for aprs plus tracker 2 all crammed in there
IMGP0870.jpg

Just got a maglight on the other side as the fuel tank pipe is behind the wood
IMGP1147.jpg

Any questions from across the pond.

Last edited:

mrweather

Always fascinating to see installs from other countries. I especially like the old-school Nokia mobile phone.

Not sure I want to ask about the stain on the driver's seat...

TenneeRox

That's a nice little Van you have there. Looks really clean and shiney on the outside, I'd kind of like to know the make and model, anyway I really like it. Having done a lot of work out of a vehicle in the field myself, I can understand a weathered and used interior. It looks like the equipment is handily located for convienent use and I especially like the work on the left rear wheel well housing; cleaver job with the handie pockets and power outlets. I'm in the states but have a son in law now stationed at Lakenheath who I hope to visit somtime in the next four years of his tour there. I've never been to the UK so I am looking forward to it! I know amateur radio is big there and hope to run in to fellows like yourself. I especially like your first photo showing some backround of buildings. I really appreciate the achutecture difference that I've seen in photos and can't wait to visit some of your areas and buildings that are hunderds of years old. We don't have that here (really old stuff, churches, castles). Again thanks for posting this, hope you and others your way will share more. I sure will enjoy seeing them! 73.

nonperson

The outside looks well taken care of and very clean. The pictures of the inside makes me think it's another vehicle. :D

Like the antenna farm on the roof and the console for the HTs in the back. I wanted to do something like that to the console I built for my radios. How ever I was limited on space. As my collections grow I may take out the center seat in my Ram and expanded the console. Then I'll have plenty of room for it. :) BTW does the cradle you mounted into the rear console also charge the radios straight from the vehicle's battery / electrical system?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you own stock in a lumber company there woody ? ;)
That's a lot of plywood,lol!

n9zas

phillmobile

the vehicle is a vauxhall (general motors) astra and this is the estate version (staion wagon) with no rear doors or windows, with fold down rear seats, popular with small businesses in europe, its a 1.7 diesel and does about 50mpg, the satins are from a coke can nothing else haha, yes i admit it needs a good clean, oh and the paneling is a common thing in the uk if not europe i'd say nearly all vans are panelled like this over here, i put a lot of effort in to sound deadening too, we have no police,fire or ambulance to monitor the are totally encyripted on digital trunking, i live at the coast so i have lots of marine activity, we seem to have lost nearly all our ham repeaters to some thing called door stop technology not for me, mind you if it had a kenwood badge on that would be another matter haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.