RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 PM

Nice install. I like the location of the CDM1250. It can easily be concealed to prevent theft.
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2012, 8:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Trunk Lip Mounts

Where did you source the trunk lip mounts? looking for some for my vehicle.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay34654 View Post
ok I am going to ask the question that no one ever has a real answer too. Why the strobes? if you are not LEO or fire, WHY. This is why so many people with scanners are giving others a badge name. If your state does not allow scanners the strobes give you away. If you are afraid of someone stealing your equipment the strobes give you away. If you do not want to be hassled by the locals the strobes give you away. if you do not want the locals to get suspicious everytime they are someplace and they keep seeing the same car with the strobes you make yourself a target.
Your post will carry more weight if you flash this.
Attached Images

Last edited by RodStrong; 01-01-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up That's a good one!

Nicely done, Rod, nicely done!

Russell

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 PM

If you end up needing to mount the scanner to the side of the console, there is an easy way to hide the holes. After the scanner is removed, you can purchase these little black snap in hole plugs from most decent hardware stores. You might need to drill the hole out a bit larger, but they snap right in the hole. The have a similar finish to the black plastic used in cars and will look almost factory. I purchased a few extra last time and have used them to hide unused holes when getting rid of a vehicle.

Install looks nice. I'd personally want to do two things if it was mine:
Put some black loom over the power wires for the CDM.
Remove the crumb in the speaker grill.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2013, 4:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by emscapt9816 View Post
*sigh* Fine. Pictured above is my CAPTAIN'S 2011 Elantra. As stated before, space is at a premium, so the decision was made to put the radios where they fit without crowding the passenger compartment. We are members of our local fire department, and as such, are authorized to display a blue light while responding to an alarm.

The purpose of the original post was to SHARE. If another RR member needed to find information on a similar install, here it is. If you like the install, SHARE your praise. If you don"t like the install, SHARE your critique. If you know of a better way, or have an idea or a different solution, SHARE your thoughts. This is NOT the forum to enforce or challenge authorization.

Eric McNeice
Captain
New York City Fire Department Emergency Medical Service
20 year veteran

Paramedic
Holtsville Fire Department
7 year veteran

To the other posters, thanks for having my back. Good night All.
Go get 'em!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM

i had a similar issue, not with trying to avoid holes, but rather with not having a surface to mount a radio to

so, i mounted my scanner atop one of those old gooseneck mounts that used to be used for the 90's vintage car phone handsets and it now sits above the console in front of the ashtray of my explorer

the spot in the console where the holes are drilled for the mount is beside the seat and will never be visible
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I haven't been able to find a gooseneck sturdy enough to hold the mobile scanner. Since my buddy hasn't been bothering me to change his configuration around, I've been busy with this... 2013 Toyota Corolla LE Install
Old 01-05-2013, 1:55 PM

Nice and clean. I don't like where the scanner is just because of changing the channels while mobile would suck unless it never gets changed. For me though I'm always changing the channel depending on what county or what area I'm in.
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2013, 1:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX4EMT View Post
I wonder if the blinky-dink strobe Nazis ever rest and why does anyone with a warning light installation have to prove affiliation or be judged a whacker until proven innocent?

Can't we all just get along?

I like the "stealth" look but I'm with you, think I'd put the scanner a little closer. It would be easier to reach the volume knob in that "WOW, did you hear that?" instance.
That's why I'm a bit shy posting any of my install pix...you're going to see my LEDs, rocker switches, and siren control box in the background. Ya know, folks, it's not unheard of to have an EMT, Firefighter, Law Enforcement Officer, or any other related professional to be an Amateur Radio Operator also. I, myself, happen to know quite a few Firefighters, EMTs, and Medics who are Hams in Florida and Wisconsin.

So, in summation, cut us some slack and think before you speak. It just may be that the person whose pix you're looking at is actually authorized to have the extra gear in the vehicle.

Now, getting back to business... I love the installation, very clean...but I question functionality with the scanner being so far down. Now, if you (he) were to buy the SCT-15 (it's a control head usable with some Uniden scanners, I THINK that's the model number) from Uniden, you'd be able to mount the control head anywhere in the vehicle and keep the scanner right where it is.

Good job, though. Stay safe out there!
Old 02-08-2013, 6:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It really doesn't matter Spanky. I'm as credentialed as you can get, even carrying a "BOOK" of licenses, certifications, permits, insurance & registration that proves beyond a shadow of any doubt that the truck does, indeed, belong to me and all the stuff in it is "duly authorized". Without fail, someone, somewhere will try to tell me, "You can't have that" or "It's illegal" when it should be illegal for them to be out of their rubber rooms without a helmet.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX4EMT View Post
It really doesn't matter Spanky. I'm as credentialed as you can get, even carrying a "BOOK" of licenses, certifications, permits, insurance & registration that proves beyond a shadow of any doubt that the truck does, indeed, belong to me and all the stuff in it is "duly authorized". Without fail, someone, somewhere will try to tell me, "You can't have that" or "It's illegal" when it should be illegal for them to be out of their rubber rooms without a helmet.
rubber rooms......classic!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay34654 View Post
ok I am going to ask the question that no one ever has a real answer too. Why the strobes? if you are not LEO or fire, WHY. This is why so many people with scanners are giving others a badge name. If your state does not allow scanners the strobes give you away. If you are afraid of someone stealing your equipment the strobes give you away. If you do not want to be hassled by the locals the strobes give you away. if you do not want the locals to get suspicious everytime they are someplace and they keep seeing the same car with the strobes you make yourself a target.
Why do you care? The installed said he was going for a "stealth look" because of space not to hide stuff. If you really cared about laws look it up on the Internet!!

Looks good and stay safe out there.

kevin