2011 Hyundai Elantra Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Hello All!

I jsut got home from installing radios and lights in my buddy's (new to him) Elantra:

Motorla CDM1250 UHF
Radio Shack PRO-163 Scanner
1/4 UHF Antenna
Scanner Antenna
Whelen SlimLighter Super-LED Series Model SLPMMBB

THe owner didn't want holes in the deck lid as he had on his old car, so trunk lip mounts were utilized, Space is limited in this car, so I convinced him to go with a more "stealth" route of installation. Enjoy the pictures, and as always, your feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF3217.JPG
    DSCF3217.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 2,847
  • DSCF3218.JPG
    DSCF3218.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 2,678
  • DSCF3219.JPG
    DSCF3219.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,834
  • DSCF3220.JPG
    DSCF3220.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,642
  • DSCF3221.JPG
    DSCF3221.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 2,779

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
More pictures...

Attachments

• DSCF3223.JPG
    DSCF3223.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 2,713
  • DSCF3224.JPG
    DSCF3224.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,679
  • DSCF3225.JPG
    DSCF3225.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,863
  • DSCF3226.JPG
    DSCF3226.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,648
  • DSCF3227.JPG
    DSCF3227.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,610

lindsay34654

ok I am going to ask the question that no one ever has a real answer too. Why the strobes? if you are not LEO or fire, WHY. This is why so many people with scanners are giving others a badge name. If your state does not allow scanners the strobes give you away. If you are afraid of someone stealing your equipment the strobes give you away. If you do not want to be hassled by the locals the strobes give you away. if you do not want the locals to get suspicious everytime they are someplace and they keep seeing the same car with the strobes you make yourself a target.

TrevDog

*cough* *cough* It looks as if the owner of the vehicle may just be a FF. The radio has 'OPERATIONS' on the screen, and a Hyundai Elantra doesn't really seem to me like a commercial vehicle, so I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and call it good. The name 'emscapt9816' kinda leads me in the FF direction as well.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
*cough* *cough* It looks as if the owner of the vehicle may just be a FF. The radio has 'OPERATIONS' on the screen, and a Hyundai Elantra doesn't really seem to me like a commercial vehicle, so I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and call it good. The name 'emscapt9816' kinda leads me in the FF direction as well.

Ditto! I feel very confident that the car pictured belongs to a firefighter and/or EMT.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Really? REALLY?!

ok I am going to ask the question that no one ever has a real answer too. Why the strobes? if you are not LEO or fire, WHY. This is why so many people with scanners are giving others a badge name. If your state does not allow scanners the strobes give you away. If you are afraid of someone stealing your equipment the strobes give you away. If you do not want to be hassled by the locals the strobes give you away. if you do not want the locals to get suspicious everytime they are someplace and they keep seeing the same car with the strobes you make yourself a target.

*sigh* Fine. Pictured above is my CAPTAIN'S 2011 Elantra. As stated before, space is at a premium, so the decision was made to put the radios where they fit without crowding the passenger compartment. We are members of our local fire department, and as such, are authorized to display a blue light while responding to an alarm.

The purpose of the original post was to SHARE. If another RR member needed to find information on a similar install, here it is. If you like the install, SHARE your praise. If you don"t like the install, SHARE your critique. If you know of a better way, or have an idea or a different solution, SHARE your thoughts. This is NOT the forum to enforce or challenge authorization.

Eric McNeice
Captain
New York City Fire Department Emergency Medical Service
20 year veteran

Paramedic
Holtsville Fire Department
7 year veteran

To the other posters, thanks for having my back. Good night All.

gallagher073

you are the reason that I no longer post any installs I do.....It's not worth it.

BADGE Name?????

FYI, those are LED's not strobes.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello Eric:

Good job on the installation, and I'm a fan of trunk mounts also, so I don't have to put holes in the roof or trunk. I don't feel I lose a lot (if anything) since I only receive and don't transmit.

One question, however. Since the scanner is mounted on the right side of the console, doesn't this limit his ability to operate the unit as it's really out of reach in that position?

Russell

wuzafuzz

Glad to see the "Strobe Pa-troll" is on the job, reminding all volunteers they are guilty of whackerism until proven innocent. Good job Agent Gladys Kravitz!

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Hello Eric:

Good job on the installation, and I'm a fan of trunk mounts also, so I don't have to put holes in the roof or trunk. I don't feel I lose a lot (if anything) since I only receive and don't transmit.

One question, however. Since the scanner is mounted on the right side of the console, doesn't this limit his ability to operate the unit as it's really out of reach in that position?

Russell

Yes, he has complained of not being able to operate the radio other than turning it on and setting the volume before driving. He may bite the bullet, and allow me to mount the scanner on the side of the console. We were trying to avoid putting holes from the screws in the console. Also, the radio in the console is muffled. We will be installing a speaker for the Motorola up under the dash, out of site, but still in the open, so to speak.

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the blinky-dink strobe Nazis ever rest and why does anyone with a warning light installation have to prove affiliation or be judged a whacker until proven innocent?

Can't we all just get along?

I like the "stealth" look but I'm with you, think I'd put the scanner a little closer. It would be easier to reach the volume knob in that "WOW, did you hear that?" instance.

WDW1014

What are the two antennas? How well do they pick up SCPD ? I"m in long island as well and wanted to know how good the reception is

KD0LDK

What are the two antennas? How well do they pick up SCPD ? I"m in long island as well and wanted to know how good the reception is

Judging by the whips. Centerload is a wide-band scanner for his mounted scanner and smaller one is a 1/4 wave UHF for his Moto mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.