New Shack Still under construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris3560

Premium Subscriber
Here are two pictures of my Shack. Custom built desk. Radios and equipment are in place to check positioning but not hooked up yet. Still have to do some trim work on the desk itself. There is a partition under the desk that has removable panels which sits 6" away from the wall to hide wiring. It has cable management brackets throughout. More photos to come as I progress. I took the photos using a fisheye lens so it appears as if everything is rounded but it's not. All straight edges. Please let me know what you think. I need some more ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_2302-small.jpg
    IMG_2302-small.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 5,039
  • IMG_2304-small.jpg
    IMG_2304-small.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 5,300

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
That looks quite nice, the walls need stuff (pictures, posters, etc.) on it though.

canav844

Keep taking the pictures before it's in use, because it'll never be that clean of a desk again:wink::lol:

If you're building the desk yourself, then perhaps consider making a wooden section to sit atop the desk loosely, and rack mount the radios with hangars for the mics on the side, and leave it loose atop the desk so it can be turned to add/change/modify/repair/replace. It would also free up a little bit of real estate on the desk surface. I've also seen many on here with walls that big to fill add a flat screen TV or two, one to monitor radio stuff (such as ADSB, APRS, ATCS or weather radar) and another to monitor local news or watch the game while at the radio. One of the DX and maiden head maps and a local map if you're doing any public safety scanning or section chart for air scanning may also be helpful decorations.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Looks like you are making good use of limited space. I'm guessing that room is about 10x10 or maybe 10x12. I have the same limitation, so I'm interested to see how your room turns out.

travisd

Hit up monoprice and get some wall or desk mount arms for the monitors -- nice to reclaim the space underneath them and let you move them around in 3 dimensions (with the right mounts of course).

You can never have enough power outlets within easy reach either.

And, that one empty wall there is screaming for a ~42" screen that you can use as a monitor or TV...

chris3560

Premium Subscriber
Updated Photo

It's a bit messy due to the installation but here is an udated photo. I liked the idea of a large monitor so I went with a 50" monitor. It is switchable between computers. Put up some pictures and stuff too. Need to save some wall space for a World Map for my HF contacts.

Radios: (not all installed yet).

Motorola CDM1250 VHF
Motorola CDF1250 UHF
Motorola Spectra 900MHz
Motorola MTS2000 800MHz
Kenwood TK-5210K3
Kenwood TK-380
Bendix King DPH-CMD
Kenwood TM-451A 1200MHz
Kenwood TM-V71A 2M/440 X 2
Kenwood TM-V7 2M/440
Icom IC-2100 2M
Yaesu FT-757GX HF
Palstar AT1500CV Tuner
Alinco DX-70 HF/6M
Uniden BCT-15 (i'm not a scanner guy).

Also have a very sensative security system that detects motion inside and out and a Ubiquiti Airvision IP Camera system running airvision which is viewable from my blackberry or CF-29 in the truck.

Attachments

• 11-26-12.jpg
    11-26-12.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,276

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
I spotted that Palstar tuner the first glace I took of you gear. Doesnt help out for the scanners, but as far as HF goes, you cannot find a better tuner.....I could even tune up a bowl of wet spagetti!

Also, you have to love that little switch inside the 757....:)

Best of luck with it all.....a shack you can be proud of for sure.

73 de KI4VBR ... -.-
Vince
KI4VBR

Status
Not open for further replies.