RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 4:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Request: Attic antenna photographs

Looking for attic antennas for Amateur Radio use. Any manufacturer recommendations? I'll be using the 70cm 440 band.

Thanks Jamie

Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2012, 4:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just about any antenna that will work outside will work in an attic. If high gain is necessary, you have to determine the maximum gain, physical length, and determine if it will fit in the attic. Just keep it away from metal!!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 6:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am deed restricted and have my antennas in the attic as well. For HF I use a short dipole and an LDG tuner at the rig. For vhf/uhf, I have an Arrow Dual Band J-Pole. I built a stand out of PVC and I set it right on the rafters. While the dipole picks up plenty of noise, the J-Pole is doing quite well up there. With 50 watts, I have no problems hitting any of the repeaters in my area.

Attached Images

Old 12-25-2012, 6:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am in deed restricted in my neighborhood as well so a attic antenna is my only route so my neighbors won't complain to me or to the home owners association. I have to do the measurements on how big of a Yagi antenna I can go.

Old 12-25-2012, 7:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do you really need a yagi? That could include installing a rotor to change the direction of reception. At 440 you can build a quarter wave groundplane that would be only 6-7 inches tall or so...good feedline and it might just work. And it should fit in the attic nicely.
Old 12-25-2012, 7:47 PM
Master of my domain
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have an attic full of antennas. I have 10M and 20M dipoles as well as a Slinky for HF and a nice Diamond dual bander for 2M and 440. There are also 20 other scanner and land-mobile antennas up there.

My home is on a slight hill and the attic works pretty good although access is kind of rough these days due to 2 feet of blown-in insulation put in a couple years ago. While it has saved me a ton of money (electric bill went down $40 a month) it has put a crimp in the ability to maintain or add antennas.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Do you have some repeater or destination you are trying to reach which requires a yagi?

I don't have any photos handy but I have a discone, X wing satcom (thanks PRCGUY) and other stuff in the attic. It all seems to work pretty much as well as anything outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git-R-Done View Post
I am in deed restricted in my neighborhood as well so a attic antenna is my only route so my neighbors won't complain to me or to the home owners association. I have to do the measurements on how big of a Yagi antenna I can go.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-man View Post
Do you really need a yagi? That could include installing a rotor to change the direction of reception. At 440 you can build a quarter wave groundplane that would be only 6-7 inches tall or so...good feedline and it might just work. And it should fit in the attic nicely.
To be honest I don't know how to build a antenna out of anything. Not sure how high a directional antenna I could fit in the attic with out hitting the top part of the attic.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
Do you have some repeater or destination you are trying to reach which requires a yagi?

I don't have any photos handy but I have a discone, X wing satcom (thanks PRCGUY) and other stuff in the attic. It all seems to work pretty much as well as anything outside.
There's one I need to reach it's about 10 to 15 miles away from where I live it's Motorola Mototrbo digital repeater system at the owner's house which is located to the east of me. I can reach the Analog FM repeaters near by on my XPR 6550.

Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
I have an attic full of antennas. I have 10M and 20M dipoles as well as a Slinky for HF and a nice Diamond dual bander for 2M and 440. There are also 20 other scanner and land-mobile antennas up there.

My home is on a slight hill and the attic works pretty good although access is kind of rough these days due to 2 feet of blown-in insulation put in a couple years ago. While it has saved me a ton of money (electric bill went down $40 a month) it has put a crimp in the ability to maintain or add antennas.
My home is built flat land. I would love to put up a outside antenna on a pole like I've seen before I think I can get by with it but not a tower.

Old 12-27-2012, 8:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well you could have a pole attached to a sturdy fence pole? Or just cement a pole into the ground and attach a antenna pole to that and you would be set.
Old 12-28-2012, 4:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Homebrewed 440 MHz yagi in the attic. I can hit repeaters 40 miles away in the direction its pointed with it in the attic. I had it outside about 30ft above the ground and the rage increased even more.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 9:07 PM

This has nothing to do with your yagi pic (which is nice), but it looks like you have an open junction box to the right. Code violation!
Old 12-29-2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
This has nothing to do with your yagi pic (which is nice), but it looks like you have an open junction box to the right. Code violation!
Maybe NMEA, but city or county may not use a 2013 code, or the NMEA...
Like you said though, nice antenna. I guess if you had short coax runs, you could do 3 or 4 of these, and run coax down to a switch in order to switch directions, and antenna is cheap to build.
Knightrider...
Old 12-31-2012, 6:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
fine new neighbors
Sponsored links

Old 12-31-2012, 6:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Looking for attic antennas for Amateur Radio use. Any manufacturer recommendations? I'll be using the 70cm 440 band.

Thanks Jamie
If their are tv antennas on houses around your hood. Then i dont see why you cant stick a tripod on your roof

Your house your rules!
Old 12-31-2012, 6:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmasternd View Post
fine new neighbors
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmasternd View Post
If their are tv antennas on houses around your hood. Then i dont see why you cant stick a tripod on your roof

Your house your rules!
If you live in a restricted neighborhood then there are rules to follow. And you know that when you move in. So while your comments are true if you are in the country or an unrestricted neighborhood, they may not be for these users.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mine are in my attic, due to laziness! I need to borrow my buddy's bucket truck to put my mast up. I have 2 scanner antennas and a Comet GP-3 dual bander. Best money I've ever spent!
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2013, 9:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If they are working, leave 'em alone! I have two scanner antennas, a MFJ dual band 2/440 and a 40 mtr dipole in the attic of the condo! Put up the dipole in a couple of afternoons when no one else in the building was home. They work great, so no reason to mess with antennas outside. I hear what I want to, make contacts thru repeaters on VHF-UHF and work HF on most bands!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
Ha...it's been covered. I was working on the attic fan that day also.