Small Setup All New Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5JER

Hello, this is my small setup all purchased with Christmas gift cards and gifted money over the holidays. My wife likes to call my shack the "control room". I laughed and said ok from now on we call it that! So here are a few pictures. I'll be adding a computer with a mounted monitor soon and I will update with more photos later. I plan on eventually getting a small bookshelf to neatly stack the radios.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Alinco PSU 32A DM-330MV
IC-7000 All Band
VX-8DR HT Dual Band
GRE PSR-500 Scanner
BCT15X Scanner
Cobra LX 29 CB

I bought the CB because it's a beautiful design and well made. I use it for listening and never really talk on it. My primary interest is amateur radio.

Last edited:

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
Nice looking "control room"! Clean and simple, just the way I like things.

W5JER

I dont get the joke...

Oh because it's a "small" setup?

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Nice keyboard. Yes, I'm a sucker for (blue) lights. LOL.

Quick question about the CB...on the display, is the color changeable? I've seen pics of that model with also a blue and a green display. Thinking about getting one since I live so close to a major toll road, and it would be cool if the display color could be changed to fit my moods. Thanks.

:)

N2PYS

Premium Subscriber
why did you buy a BCT15X non digital scanner do you live in an area with no digital /digital trunked radio systems or was that a funds limitation? for me i would have skipped the children's band rig all together because 1. you can scan the frequency when desired on your scanner and 2. i am not certain but if the IC 7000 covers 10 Meters HF it will tune and function on CB which is 11 meters, so you could have spent the CB money on upgrading one of your better Control Room toys, They sell that CB with NOAA built in on Amazon for 116.00 $ thats a lot of money in this economy for something that granted does look beautiful but is basically redundant with your other equipment, and something you definitely do not want if you have any young children listening to unattended. you got my 4 cents worth there and by the way they make metal radio stacking shelves that act as secondary heatsinks and such get ahold of HRO"S catalog or look thru it online and they have a whole ton of stuff that is much better than a bookcase.

N2PYS

N2PYS

Premium Subscriber
Well thats true if he was caught transmitting in 11 meters he would be in violation but to just listen very clearly and a much better receiver no harm no fowl,and he could have picked up a cb at a garage sale for 10 or 20 bucks later in the warm weather people are forever selling those things at garage sales or even giving them away on craigslist. Yes it would not be as elegant or as well designed it would not have such a informative display that was LED and color changeable BUT CB's are all restricted to the same amount of output power ( not that it stops people from running illegal amp's and keying up in NY and being heard in Florida) but there is nothing to innovate in a CB other then to make them look elegant like this one, back in the 70's it was chrome the 80's was small cars small black CB's with variable intensity lighting and push buttons and then switches with lights in the end the 90's i can't say i ignored the 90's.

W5JER

I wanted it so I bought it. That simple. :) We dont need an encyclopedia guided reference post on why I shouldn't have bought it. I like it so I have it :)

Also, I have HRO's catalog and didnt see any shelving units in there. What are they called in the catalog?

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
That is a very nice setup, I like it. What are you using for antennas?

W5JER

I'm currently using a mobile Diamond quad band NMO antenna for my HF rig. Just next to the house where my shack is we have a car port with a steel roof on it. The antenna is up about 12 feet and I stuck it up on top of that. Wife said no to anything else so for now that's what I'm using.

Default scanner antenna and I also have a wilson 5k up there for the CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.