BC125AT mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Was going to install my PRO-163 in my car, but decided to go a different direction with it, so I wanted to find a way to use one of my portables in my car (2005 Neon). Was at a local flea market this past weekend and came across a booth selling cell phone accessories (one out of about two dozen or so LOL). Stopped to look at the cell phone holders and found one that clipped onto the heater / ac vents. The price was right so I bought it. It's a simple set-up, but it looks like it will work out pretty well, although I don't think it's study / heavy enough to hold my PSR-310, so I'll be using the 125AT in it. Just need to get a right angle connector for the antenna wire and I should be all set.

0114131508.jpg

0114131510.jpg

:)

Nice!

Actually I had the same device. It worked great for just holding the scanner, was a little flimsy for pushing any buttons.

A word of caution. In my case, those plastic fingers you push into the vent messed up the plastic pieces connecting the vertical louvers, so they don't move in unison anymore. I'll survive.

I'm using a smart phone dashboard mount with a little help from the folks at VELCRO ® these days, which isn't very industrial either.

Good luck!

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
I thought about purchasing one of those mounts as well, steered away cause I didn't want the heat blowing right on my scanner, dumb I know.

I opted to go with a cupholder mount with a neck and I too drive a Dodge Neon.

I'll shoot you a PM seeing I have some antenna questions.

dmg1969

SouthSide...I just purchased the BC125AT today to use in my vehicle. Do you power it with the DC adapter or just use the batteries? I see the external antenna wire going behind and coming out near the bottom, but no power cord. How is the battery life? Can you turn the backlight off during the day or is it on all the time? What type of antenna are you running? My requirements are probably a little different than yours, but I was curious. I just bought a Radio Shack 25-1300 MHz magnetic mount for the BC355N I originally bought to use in my vehicle. I couldn't get rid of some interference on VHF low, so I am using that as my new base. I will just use the RS antenna for the portable.

Dave

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, I guess it's back to the drawing as far as mounting my 125AT in my car. That holder I bought is okay for cell phones, but not too good for scanners. On quite a few occasions when my car has hit a pothole, it has caused the scanner and holder to get jostled and has pulled the vent off of its hinges, so to speak.

I have a cup holder mount, but it's pretty much a piece of junk, so I won't be using that. I'll have to do some looking around and see what I can come up with.

dmg1969

Try this one from The Mount Guys. Car Cup Holder Mount for Uniden GE Radio Shack Cobra Bearcat Wouxun & Other Handheld Scanners Radios & Walkie-Talkies

I have been using it since I got my 125AT and I have not one issue. It holds it secure as can be. See my thread for photos of it in my Tucson.

Dave

Well, I guess it's back to the drawing as far as mounting my 125AT in my car. That holder I bought is okay for cell phones, but not too good for scanners. On quite a few occasions when my car has hit a pothole, it has caused the scanner and holder to get jostled and has pulled the vent off of its hinges, so to speak.

I have a cup holder mount, but it's pretty much a piece of junk, so I won't be using that. I'll have to do some looking around and see what I can come up with.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Try this one from The Mount Guys. Car Cup Holder Mount for Uniden GE Radio Shack Cobra Bearcat Wouxun & Other Handheld Scanners Radios & Walkie-Talkies

I have been using it since I got my 125AT and I have not one issue. It holds it secure as can be. See my thread for photos of it in my Tucson.

Dave

That's the same cup holder mount I have now that doesn't work very well. I can never get it to securely stay in the cup holder, let alone have it in there straight, no matter how much adjusting I do to the thing.

Wish it worked as well in my car as it looks like it does in yours.

dmg1969

That's too bad because I am very happy with it. Each car is different though. Are your cup holders tapered at all? I looked at some images online and couldn't really tell. I just put mine in and really cranked on the dial to tighten it against the sides. Then I adjusted the angle and the ball fitting to rotate it right where I wanted.

Dave

dmg1969

Are you talking to the OP or me? If you are talking about the OP's vent setup, he is not happy with it. If referring to my cup holder mount, I am happy with it in my vehicle.

Dave

How well does it work in that setup? Looking to go that route myself.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Are you talking to the OP or me? If you are talking about the OP's vent setup, he is not happy with it. If referring to my cup holder mount, I am happy with it in my vehicle.

Dave

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant how does the BC125AT perform as a mobile?

ltorresr

Was going to install my PRO-163 in my car, but decided to go a different direction with it, so I wanted to find a way to use one of my portables in my car (2005 Neon). Was at a local flea market this past weekend and came across a booth selling cell phone accessories (one out of about two dozen or so LOL). Stopped to look at the cell phone holders and found one that clipped onto the heater / ac vents. The price was right so I bought it. It's a simple set-up, but it looks like it will work out pretty well, although I don't think it's study / heavy enough to hold my PSR-310, so I'll be using the 125AT in it. Just need to get a right angle connector for the antenna wire and I should be all set.

0114131508.jpg

0114131510.jpg

Hello! Quick question... what antenna are you using on your BC125AT?

Status
Not open for further replies.