A very modest beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortride

Premium Subscriber
Nothing to brag about yet but at least it's a start. I started my SWL hobby with a Uniden Bearcat 700A which pales in comparison to the ICOM receivers. I have a lot to learn from you guys.

myshack_zpsc900ae7d.jpg

shortride

Premium Subscriber
Nice rigs. What do you do for antennas?

I've got a Discone D3000N at 35' and a Par end fed 45' wire antenna mounted as a slopper right now but plan on getting the low end up as soon as I can figure out what to attach it to. I pretty much have plenty of space. There just isn't many trees.

I inherited the R7100 and enjoyed it so much I decided to buy the R75.

Last edited:

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi shortride: I think the Icoms look very good together, and you should definitely start bragging about them.

Russell :lol:

shortride

Premium Subscriber
Modest he says, being modest! Those are some NICE radios you have there!!!

Thank you Sir.

I've got way too much radio for my lack of experience. It's a little intimidating trying to figure these things out. As I mentioned earlier, I inherited the R7100 from an uncle that passed away recently. He had been sick for the past 15 years and my aunt said the R7100 was put up in the closet all of that time. She said he started having health problem shortly after buying the R7100. It looks like it’s never been used.

Is there any way to tell what year this receiver was manufactured?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Sir.

I've got way too much radio for my lack of experience. It's a little intimidating trying to figure these things out. As I mentioned earlier, I inherited the R7100 from an uncle that passed away recently. He had been sick for the past 15 years and my aunt said the R7100 was put up in the closet all of that time. She said he started having health problem shortly after buying the R7100. It looks like it’s never been used.

Is there any way to tell what year this receiver was manufactured?

According to rig pix the R7100 was manufactured from 1991-1998. If you email icom with the serial number they might be able to give you a date of manufacture.

Squad10

You've got two beauties there shortride. If you can find a retired Optoelectronics DC440, I can tell you how to connect it to the R7100 so it will decode and display tone and digital coded squelch codes and DTMF too!

Enjoy!

bear780ks

Nothing to brag about yet but at least it's a start. I started my SWL hobby with a Uniden Bearcat 700A which pales in comparison to the ICOM receivers. I have a lot to learn from you guys.

myshack_zpsc900ae7d.jpg

I likey Allot.:D What a nice set of Radios more shack photos please :p

shortride

Premium Subscriber
You've got two beauties there shortride. If you can find a retired Optoelectronics DC440, I can tell you how to connect it to the R7100 so it will decode and display tone and digital coded squelch codes and DTMF too!

Enjoy!

Thanks but I haven't the slightest idea what you said. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.