2011 Wrangler JK 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
Here's some pictures of my 996XT in my 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Question: Does anyone know any way to secure the scanner better? I have a soft top so locking the doors doesn't do much. Especially when topless and doorless in the summer..
Trying to figure out a way to make it hard to steal - yet easy (like it is now) for me to operate.
What did I use to mount it? "Arizona Rocky Road" radio mount. Link for that: ARIZONA ROCKY ROAD ANTENNA MOUNTS FOR JEEP WRANGLER, UNLIMITED AND LIBERTY
Future plans: Try to get 2 Motorola CDM1250 or 1550's on the sides of the scanner and or try to find a dual band mobile that can cover public safety as well as GMRS / UHF public safety.
IMG_20130305_003849.jpg

IMG_20130305_003858.jpg

IMG_20130305_003834.jpg

Install date pictures:
IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
One Idea would be to use a security head mounting bolt to replace the OEM thumb screws.. Might slow them down a bit..

Another, more expensive idea, would be to switch to a single din aftermarket stereo and mount the stereo and scanner in the existing double din dash opening. Would be a cleaner looking install.. As a former safety inspection officer for a local Jeep club, I'd have a hard time passing this for safety. But that's just me, I'm picky about things like that. On the up side, you're definitely out of the airbag path where you're at.

bear780ks

One other Possibility you could use in your Jeep is Uniden's Remote Head Unit it has all the Features of your Radio But Takes up Less Room you could mount it around your Dash area if it's feasible..

It's what i'm thinking about Using in our Truck) Check places on the Web for Stock on this Unit as there are some places that still have them..

Attachments

• Uniden Remote Head.jpg
    Uniden Remote Head.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,515

cash082

Premium Subscriber
I think I'll look into the security head mounting bolt.
Can't really put it under the seat - in case I ever have to drive through a river / flood evacuating from an area door-less. It's a Jeep. Even with the doors on water would come in as it has in the past. I'm a first responder and am out in some of the worst weather.
Glovebox: Defeats the easy access. Hard to reach from drivers side. Plus I'm considering a RAM mount. That would block it.
Remote Head: I'd rather get a 15X and mount that in the summer (when topless especially) or swap out the one I have inside my house.
Tuffy: I've considered the overhead one.
Don't want to replace my head - like the unit I have.
Just thinking - another option could be locking it with a lock and drilling a hole through the bottom of the scanner and lock it to the steel bar (radio mount). And or maybe even a really thin lock that could go through the internal speaker holes on the bottom and hook that up to the bar itself. Kind of like those small locks you'd see at some electronic stores.
Hmmm...
Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited:

MK

That mounting looks dangerous, especially if you ever have an accident.

I have an HP-1 mounted on the dash of my Rubicon. It is much easier to use than a 996XT while driving. Have you considered using an HP-1 as an alternative to the 996XT?

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
If you don't like the whole Tuffy console then get one of the rear locking compartments and remote the scanner from there. The remote head is the same display and buttons as the scanner itself so you aren't losing anything except the special function labels.

The Tuffy is worth the money. The dual overhead version I wasn't a fan of however, it was harder to mount stuff and was fiddly to open and close. Bomb proof though, all of it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think I'll look into the security head mounting bolt.

If you decide to go that way, I've had a few excellent experiences with these guys:
Torx with pin Button Cap Tamper Proof Security Machine Screw
I use a fair amount of these for work, and this company has been easy to deal with. You'll need to figure out what the thread is on those thumb screws and order a couple. It'll slow someone down enough that they'll likely give up.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Check my photos. I have the Remote kit on the windshield (moving to headliner this weekend) but is less likely to become a projectile. and looks cleaner.

Looking at consoles too, will have to wait for xmas, perhaps.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another option is using hex head bolts (the kind you need an allen wrench). Might be a less costly deterent but not make your life too challenging if you need to remove the unit.

GrumpyGuard

One other thing you might want to try is using a single din and have a box welded to the top bar where the radio is installed. Once you have the box fabricated to accept the single din weld it up to the cross bar. place the radio in the single din and then install it into the box. If someone wants your scanner bad enough they are going to take it. This will cause them too much work and maybe they will move to an easier target. It should be a far sight cheaper than the counsel.

Good luck with getting your scanner secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.