RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 2:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hi Mike, I'm fortunate to be in contact with one of the people who worked on this software SdrDx –OS X and Windows SDR Software « fyngyrz (I meant to type sdr dx, not hdr dx in my original post).

I thought it might have been sdrdx

I'm hoping he'll be able to help me out with any issues...I'm hoping for as close to plug and play as possible, LOL. One can dream, right? I'll be running it into the ethernet port right into the Imac. What are you running it with? PC? What sdr software are you using? How was the setup? Thanks again.

I'm using it on a pc (windows 7 with hdsdr v2.60) My setup is a little advance. I'm using a dual port gigabit ethernet card. One port it for local internet (get its IP address from my dhcp server) and the other port is for the afedri (setup as a static ip direct into the afedri's ethernet port). If your just going to use the afedri via USB you should be ok right out of the box but if you want to run it via the ethernet jack for a higher bandwidth in the spectrum display you might need to run some sort of virtualization software on the mac (bootcamp or vmware fusion) so you can set up the afedri to run via ethernet.

If sdrdx supports the rfspace sdrnet everything should work just fine.

I hope i did not make things more confusing (on 3 hours of sleep)

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2013, 2:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Mike, your setup is definitely above my techical knowledge level. I'm hoping it's close to plug and play, just by going into my ethernet port. Here's an exchange I had with the developer of Sdr Dx:

"Steve, if I understand you correctly, the AFEDRI has an ethernet connection on it that emulates the RFSPACE SDR-IP protocol. If that’s the case, then you’d plug that into your computer’s ethernet connection, and SdrDx should understand it, as long as the emulation does in fact properly resemble the SDR-IP.

The server is only required for RFSPACE’s SDR-IQ, which does not have an ethernet connection, it has a USB port instead. So in that case, the server converts the USB information to TCP information, and SdrDx takes it from there — and it is required.

Looking at the AFEDRI page, current versions of the hardware have an ethernet port, so I would think you would not require any type of server software as long as you have a current version."

I also spoke with Alex (of Afedri) and he said:

"Steve,

I don't have right now MacOS computer, but this summer I tested ibook of my sister running CuteSDR + AFEDRI SDR-Net using network connection, thing was working well."

We shall see how this all plays out as Sdr Dx is based on CuteSDR. If I can't get it working, I may just buy a cheap laptop (pc) to run it on. But I'm hopeful it work work on the Mac.

Steve
Old 03-28-2013, 8:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I think you will be ok via ethernet and power it via USB but keep in mind that in order to get it to work via ethernet you will need to be able to load the control box software (extio dll windows based) in order to check off network connection. Worst case you can always run bootcamp and or vmfusion just to config the sdr and go back to the native osx app sdrdx. I have a macbook air so i will test this all out on monday and let you know how i make out.

Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 8:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi Mike, thats good info to know, unfortunately, I dont have windows on my mac (or vmware/fusion). Im guessing it comes configured to connect via usb? Thanks for this info, as I wouldn't have known about this.

Steve

Last edited by kb8viv; 03-28-2013 at 9:07 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yes the default is to connect via usb which is 100% fine. Try that first. If that does not work PM me and i i will get you up and running remotely
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2013, 9:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi Mike, I asked Alex about this, as I don't have access to a pc, and here was his response:

"The network interface in AFEDRI SDR is enabled constantly, may be the information about SDR_Network_Control_Box is misled you, but the check-box "Enable network interface" - it command for Software it has no deal with SDR its self.
But very possible that you should, at lest once to define AFEDRI SDR IP address, so in this case you will require to run SDR_Control utility, or sdrnetSetup utility...."

If all else fails, I may go out and buy a pc laptop. Im hoping it'll be plug and play, but I know that's highly unlikely. Thanks again for all the advice.

If your interested, there is supposed to be a pretty cool pirate on the air this weekend:
http://www.hfunderground.com/board/i...c,10516.0.html

I'll let you know how I make out when it arrives.

Steve

Last edited by kb8viv; 03-30-2013 at 9:23 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi Mike,

She didn't like the mac, so I'm running the Afedri on an hp laptop with hd sdr. Having a blast with this setup...So, all's well that ends well, LOL.... Thanks again for your offer of help.

73's de kb8viv
Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

No problem. Sorry i haven't been on in a while. Just busy with work schedule. Glad everything is up and running on your end.
Old 04-13-2013, 9:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ok, you got me.. whats the PS3 for?
Sponsored links