RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 4:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very Nice!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 4:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm running a MFJ-1526N VHF/UHF at 70ft and a 900mhz Omni at 55ft . They run into a Diamond Duplexer MX2000N. The duplexer then feeds the MCA208 8 port BNC splitter preamp.
Old 01-20-2014, 6:58 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

With support for XP ending April 8, are you going to upgrade the OS?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Awesome set up... Should work just as good on Windows 7, and that OS will have long life of support. I am personally upgrading my laptop to 7 after I go up to an 1Gb of RAM in the next month.
Old 01-21-2014, 5:19 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

That's pretty cool! I had an idea while you could set audio on a timer and you could hear one audio stream at a time but with a delay so that you don't hear all the audio streams at once. I tried to Google for such a device, but couldn't find it. It could maybe be controlled with a Raspberry PI. I think a 555 would be involved. I just don't know how to put it together. I wonder if I can patent the concept? Of course putting it on here negates that idea.

I had another idea with GPS SAME for WX radios, but yours truly on this forum all ready patented it.

Well, just found out NASA has such an idea except theirs uses IP packets and is encrypted. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/...1_VOIP_prt.htm

Last edited by poltergeisty; 01-21-2014 at 5:28 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2014, 6:07 PM

What about an RDL Mixer from RDL Electronics?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Great setup: tell us your using Windows 8 . LOL
Old 07-02-2014, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9NSA View Post
Here is my latest Mega Scanner.

Eight ICOM PCR100s
Stridsberg MCA208 Eight port BNC preamp splitter
8 USB audio sound cards for online streaming
8 Y audio splitters for sound cards and external Uniden BC7 7watt speakers.
Windows Media encoding with visual display for streaming
8 Scanner casts for uploading audio to RR
SIIG 8 port Serial port USB adapter for control (ICOM software wont see anything above com port 8)
I also added two PCIe 4 port USB cards to handle the data. One is for the 8 port serial SIIG serial adapter. The second is for the 13 port USB adapter that the sound cards are using.

Im building an audio switch box for the external speakers. I'll be able to manually switch each external speaker off/on.

Happy Scanning.

I know this is nearly a year old, but how hard is something like this to set up? Is it costly? Would you be able to maybe email me or message me all the details of whats involved?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Very nice! Good work.

I'm running multiple streams, but my version is a lot cheaper and without a mess of wires or the need for extra soundcards, speakers, etc.

For those that don't want to drop $1000+ (those PRCs run ~$100 each) into feeding us audio; use a $20 RTL-SDR dongle.

I use SDRConsole software (free), plus virtual audio cables to feed the Scannercast app. Add DSD+ (free) app to get digital voice (DSTAR, P25, others). You can also do trunking if you like.

I'm running four feeds (can do six) with one radio. Sound quality seems fine. Better than my AR8000 on the same speaker.

If you already have one scanner feed running, you could just swap it out for a USB device the size of a thumb-drive and get six of them. Assuming freqs are within short distance of each other. If further apart than ~3megs, just add another $20 dongle and you can have six more stations to monitor.

Not at all to diminish Mike's work and his mega scanner. I love it. Just sayin', for those that want to do something similar but spend less than the price of a movie and popcorn to do so.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2014, 11:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Update

I upgraded a few things this weekend to this station.

I upgraded the hardware to a faster Xeon dual processor.
I upgraded from XP x64 to Windows 7 x64
I'm now running 16GB of RAM
I'm now running DSD+ now too. This helps me to decode NEXEDGE and DMR when I'm controlling the station remotely. One of the ICOMs has a discriminator tap for the DSD.

So far it seems to be running fine. It was a seamless transition. The software plays really nice with Win7...maybe I should have tried 8.1? lol

Mike - KC9NSA
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2014, 8:55 PM

Thumbs up

Heh, good 'ol 145.4100MHz - the "VHF CB" channel of Chicagoland as everyone calls it.

I set up 4 remote SpectraTAC receive sites on the input across the county (most around 200-300' HAAT) and had 'em tied in to the IP backbone of a Trunked system I administer so it's patched in on a dedicated TG. Always a funny listen.

Nice setup, too!

Old 12-03-2014, 7:04 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9NSA View Post

So far it seems to be running fine. It was a seamless transition. The software plays really nice with Win7...maybe I should have tried 8.1? lol

Mike - KC9NSA
I have found so far that just about every radio application that worked in Windows 7 has worked fine in Windows 8 and 8.1. The issues I have had was more a 64 vs 32 bit driver situation. Once that was resolved everything I use has worked in 8.

There are a few applications that just don't work in a 64 bit environment, like certain MRSS programs.

I do like your setup, I might try something similar if I ever get into hosting feeds once settled in the new house.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 12-03-2014, 8:36 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Nice setup. Use PCR-1000 myself.

Very nice setup there. I have been using an Icom PCR-1000 for many years now. Then switches to SDR# and a dongle for some other items, mostly Trbo monitoring after my work switched to digital.

Dusted off the Icom PCR-1000 and connected a Palm device to it, but nothing quite as elaborate as your multiple PCR-100's.

I like how you kept it clean and it doesn't look like spaghetti wires everywhere.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default I like it I like it!

Your set up is very very nice! It has given me some ideas for my shack. Right now I'm running 4 BCT15x and 2 996XTs on my Windows 7 Pro-64 pc through ARC-XT. This is mainly for virtual control purposes. It is a royal pain the REAR setting them up through the device manager as I am using a few RS232-USB adapters. I think an 8 port device like the one you are using would simplify everything. Instead of running 8 wires to the back of the computer, I can just run 1, keeping the cables behind the desk out of sight! ( no more spaghetti wires ) I did a search and even found another device like the one you're using from Startech: Startech.comŪ ICUSB 2328I USB to DB9 RS232 Serial Adapter Hub, 8 Ports | StaplesŪ Did a live chat with one of their techs. Once set up is complete, port arrangement remains the same through every boot up. I like that! Either way, thanks for posting this! I just cant believe that it does not REQUIRE an AC adapter. Once again, very nice job!

Manny

Last edited by N1SQB; 12-03-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On my Rack job I put a USB hub inside one of the racks and used that to connect the cables to the individual radios. This allowed me to run a single USB cable from the radio rack to the computer. I still needed to configure the various serial ports however.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
On my Rack job I put a USB hub inside one of the racks and used that to connect the cables to the individual radios. This allowed me to run a single USB cable from the radio rack to the computer. I still needed to configure the various serial ports however.
You and that rack set up! Makes me drool like a baby every time I see it!
But I hear ya! That is the reason I'm trying to do what the OP did! It just makes sense! I HATE wire bundles.
I'm all about simplification!

Manny
Old 12-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro25 View Post
Heh, good 'ol 145.4100MHz - the "VHF CB" channel of Chicagoland as everyone calls it.
Just listened to the audio stream and I can see why.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That is awesome.
Old 03-19-2016, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
Rich,

What are you using in the attic? I recently moved and I think the attic is the best route for my receive antenna.
Old 03-19-2016, 3:02 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Sweeeeet! Someone hand me a bib please. 73, n9zas