My Honda Ridgeline Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

evtide

Yaesu FTM-400DR in my 2013 RTL/Nav. Please see the end of this post as I have a question re: antenna routing.

Salient points:
- Radio mounted on the forward face of the console, speaker side out, antenna and power towards the driver's side.
- Head mounted on a seat-base gooseneck mount.
- Mic mount screwed in to the very solid but removable knock-out tab between the seat heater switches. I will replace this at trade in time. This is the only drilling I had to do!
- Head direct-wired to the battery, run through the existing firewall harness grommet, fused at the battery, #10 wire hot and ground.
- Antenna is a glass mount at the rear window. left side. The glass is tinted and I am getting a high match but < 3:1 and am planning on finding a place for a NMO mount somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_6318.JPG
    IMG_6318.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 8,261
  • IMG_6319.JPG
    IMG_6319.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 7,317
  • IMG_6322.JPG
    IMG_6322.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 6,800
  • IMG_6329.JPG
    IMG_6329.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 5,177
  • IMG_6330.JPG
    IMG_6330.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 8,571

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
evtide,

I have an '07 Ridgeline and found a passthrough behind the rear seats. I use the ICOM ID-880H with a remote head install just below the radio. The main radio sits underneath the driver's side rear seat. I pulled that seatback out enough to find a passthrough (about seat level) that goes to the truck bed.

You'll have to take off the back plate of the truck bed but it's simple enough. I had a machine shop rework one of my tiedowns (right near that back seat, driver's side) to include a hole for PL-259 connectors. You will need a 6-foot jumper to reach the radio/antenna.

I have just changed out my antenna and antenna cable. I am trying RG-8X but at that short distance RG-58 will work. Where you've mounted your radio will add a few feet, but 12 feet should suffice.

AONE6

I have a 2007 Ridgeline and drilled two holes in the roof for NMO mounts. One is on the right side and one is on the left side, both are located towards the rear of the roof as I needed to avoid the moonroof assembly. Cable routing was simple, right down the center (B) pillars and under the carpet, one to the remote mount radio under the passenger seat and one routed inside the center console.

If you don't want to drill holes, then it is also easy to take two "L" brackets for NMO mounts and bolt them together, with the 3/4" holes facing up. One of them is bolted to the existing upper tie-down bracket in the front of the bed while the other is your antenna mount. Cable routing is interesting" but time consuming as you do have to take the panel off the front of the bed to gain access inside the cab.

I don't have any pictures handy but could post them in a few days when I return from travel.

And I would never recommend using a glass mount antenna for any transmitter that will exceed 5 watts!

73 de AONE6

evtide

Thanks for the input guys, most appreciated. I will be ditching the glass mount as I'm just not getting a good match and want to be able to work at full power if necessary without worrying about frying something.

I'm steering towards modifying the forward bed tie-down for an NMO mount and routing through the forward bed panel, under the carpet into the kick panel wire chase as the glass mount feed is routed now. Looks like my weekend project has been settled, weather permitting.

Thanks again, and AONE6, a picture or two would be helpful when you get back but if it's a pain please don't go out of your way.

ems55

Premium Subscriber
EVTIDE,
Great install !! Thanks for sharing with us !!!
BTW, how do you like the radio ? Looking for new dual bander for my Tahoe.
Thanks again,
Michael
WA1UZO

evtide

So far I've found it to be a great radio but I haven't been able to try out the digital voice features yet. It's a little (a lot!) pricey but it's easy to program and use, seems to be a solid performer TX/RX wise, and the color display is sweet.

kelletp

Where is the Firewall Grommet?

I have looked but can't find the grommet you are talking about in the firewall. My CRV had one and it worked great. My install is stalled until I can get through the firewall.

CanesFan95

A nice clean install there and I also used a grommet for installing an Icom ID-880H in the 2013 Accord. Lose that glass mount antenna for sure and you'll get better performance.

evtide

I can't go out and look right now but believe I came in through the firewall right around where the brake pedal is.

And I went to a Comet NMO trunk lid mount on the l.h. forward upper tie down, coax routed behind the rear seat through the vent membrane, works great and painless to install.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Impressive how Yaesu stuck to that cheap-arse Mic design over the years. :)

I was thinking the same thing...it's the one thing that I'm not a fan of Yaesu for...wish it was a little more sturdy or professional looking like Kenwood, personally...

Status
Not open for further replies.