2006 GMC Sierra Denali

Status
Not open for further replies.

banks

Still need to clean up the wiring but for the most part I'm done.
3 XTL's and a CDM low-band.

11281056833_c7131a68b1_z.jpg

11282217294_23dbce6bce_z.jpg

11280981796_a772a4af4d_z.jpg

11281299985_7abb715323_z.jpg

11280984026_7fe126e9f8_z.jpg

8720120807_73584e0a6a_z.jpg

Can't forget the obligatory night shot!
11281748914_940d239547_z.jpg

11280931235_f33b089ac6_z.jpg

Last edited:

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Nice clean install and looks great! I like the Moto O3 control heads location.

fdscan

Damn... Very nice.

I like the CDM location, I've always thought of sticking one up there on those trucks, and now I know it's possible! How did you go about mic placement for that, don't they have the microphone jack "extension cords" for those radios? Not sure if it is an actual extension from the mic jack or if it plugs into the accessory port or something. And again for the bottom XTL, how did you go about mic placement on that one?

Antennas look really clean and low-profile. Awesome install.

banks

Damn... Very nice.

I like the CDM location, I've always thought of sticking one up there on those trucks, and now I know it's possible! How did you go about mic placement for that, don't they have the microphone jack "extension cords" for those radios? Not sure if it is an actual extension from the mic jack or if it plugs into the accessory port or something. And again for the bottom XTL, how did you go about mic placement on that one?

Thanks for the compliments! The CDM is RX only as it stands, so I don't have to go full trucker and hang a mic from the ceiling just yet.

For the lower O5, I hacked up a motorola visor mic to fit inside the factory OnStar microphone that is visible on the left side of the overhead console. PTT to the radio is via an unused button on the steering wheel. This setup is definitely not ideal if you're going to be driving aggressively or have a lot of BG noise, but it is clean, and it is functional.

Antennas are v/u laird quarter waves and a phantom for the 800. The other phantom is kind of a placeholder...I had plans for a WiFi/LTE setup but I'm running out of room for hardware. Next project is a 2nd battery, and 1200 watt inverter.

Last edited:

fdscan

Thanks for the compliments! The CDM is RX only as it stands, so I don't have to go full trucker and hang a mic from the ceiling just yet.

For the lower O5, I hacked up a motorola visor mic to fit inside the factory OnStar microphone that is visible on the left side of the overhead console. PTT to the radio is via an unused button on the steering wheel. This setup is definitely not ideal if you're going to be driving aggressively or have a lot of BG noise, but it is clean, and it is functional.

Antennas are v/u laird quarter waves and a phantom for the 800. The other phantom is kind of a placeholder...I had plans for a WiFi/LTE setup but I'm running out of room for hardware. Next project is a 2nd battery, and 1200 watt inverter.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, I always would think that mic dangling from the ceiling would get annoying.

I know most GMs of that generation had that OnStar mic, and I just looked at the pic again. Nice that it worked out! Steering wheel PTT is awesome...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I'd like some more information on your steering wheel mounted PTT - pics and information, as available.

Awesome install!

SCPD

QRT
Friggin awesome setup,but paint the board black,the one the radios are mounted on,the gray sticks out or cover it with black vinyl.

photoguy2

Very nice. I too love the cdm up high.

Banks, I have sent you a PM with a question.

Matt
KJ6PNN

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Damn... Very nice.

You can use a standard ethernet cable to extend the mic from the CMD. I have a 4' ethernet cable with a inline couple block that the mic connects right into. This will eliminate the mic hanging from the ceiling of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,568

fdscan

You can use a standard ethernet cable to extend the mic from the CMD. I have a 4' ethernet cable with a inline couple block that the mic connects right into. This will eliminate the mic hanging from the ceiling of the truck.

I was actually thinking about that the past few days... The ability to use ethernet/cat5 cable allows you to stick the mic virtually anywhere you can run the line!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I also used ethernet cables to extend and relocate my CDM mics in a couple of my installs. It works great and allows great flexibility in locating the mic.

While this probably wouldn't help in this install, but I wonder if you can wire a mic to the rear accessory port on a CDM?

LostSignal

I also used ethernet cables to extend and relocate my CDM mics in a couple of my installs. It works great and allows great flexibility in locating the mic.

While this probably wouldn't help in this install, but I wonder if you can wire a mic to the rear accessory port on a CDM?

I'm pretty sure you can. I believe it is
pin#2 = "EXT MIC"
pin#7 = "GND"

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.