Final Changes To The Shack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
My shack was a work in progress for a long time! Finally made the changes / additions that I needed to make to get it the way I want. I can now monitor anything that can be legally monitored in my listening area. It took me a while and a lot of patience but this is the final product. My newest toys are the 2 HT-1550XLS portables, which replaced my older HT1250s. They are fully refurbished with brand new batteries (2014 date code) and F.P.P. permanently enabled WITHOUT the need for a special red battery. I also added an Icom IC-M504 marine radio ( mic disabled ) to monitor all the local marine traffic. The speakers are ALL 4 inch cobra brand, instead of the mixed brands I had before. The only exception is the Icom speaker for the IC-7000 which came with the radio when I purchased it. My next project now is finding a way to power this shack from an external source. 12V car battery perhaps, I havent really looked into it. I want to enjoy my shack a little bit! LOL

Last edited:

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Looks good.... I have one question for you... what MIL AIr frequency are you listening to? I don't live that far from you and I would like to program one of my scanners with that stuff...

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Looks good.... I have one question for you... what MIL AIr frequency are you listening to? I don't live that far from you and I would like to program one of my scanners with that stuff...

I would have to see your military credentials first before I can share any information with you! :roll:
Seriously, send me a PM and I will be more than glad to go over what I have.

Manny

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Far too neat and tidy... :p

You guys should see my "shack". It sort of resembles a pile of junk on an endtable in my living room with some radios stacked in a corner (usally turned off). Every once in a while, a cord crawls out far enough to catch someone's foot and then some of the pile ends up on the floor. I don't know how you guys keep these desks of yours looking so neat and clean.

I should probably spend a few buck on one of those computer desks I see everytime I go to Wal Mart. That would probably help organize the mess, LOL

-AZ

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Far too neat and tidy... :p

You guys should see my "shack". It sort of resembles a pile of junk on an endtable in my living room with some radios stacked in a corner (usally turned off). Every once in a while, a cord crawls out far enough to catch someone's foot and then some of the pile ends up on the floor. I don't know how you guys keep these desks of yours looking so neat and clean.

I should probably spend a few buck on one of those computer desks I see everytime I go to Wal Mart. That would probably help organize the mess, LOL

-AZ

Ha ha ha! I understand you completely! When I was younger I used to be just like that! But with a wife, 3 kids, and a cat, I HAVE to get organized! I might lose someone in the mess! :D

Seriously though, two major events have made me this way. 9 /11 and Newtown. In both incidents I was able to monitor everything I needed to including mil air over NYC during 9 / 11. If I had been as messy as I used to be, it would have been a monitoring disaster. When the Newtown tragedy happened, I was once again at the helm in my shack listening to something else, and caught it all live. I was able to maneuver around, make calls, switch frequencies, etc. with ease because of the manner in which everything was organized.

Manny

Last edited:

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Look into RigRunner DC distribution panels and Anderson PowerPole connectors. With a PwrGate (charger/transfer switch) and a 12V power supply, you add a large battery and you're running when the lights go out.

I live in a very rural part of California and can monitor everything with a couple of radios (all analog conventional), but the RigRunner ties all of the 12V stuff together very nicely.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Kirk, thanks for the suggestion, lol! Everything in the shack is running via a rigrunner 4012. All the connections are powerpole connectors! I just need to look into the power gate and some type of battery!

Manny

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Great set-up thanks for sharing. I enjoy getting different ideas for those that have been sharing photos of their setups.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I just bought a 100Ah gel cell from Amazon for $200 delivered. Good price for gel, and the reviews look good.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
Now that's a nice looking shack. I'm interested in what we can't see - how organized are the wires behind the radios and the desk?

That's one of the problems I have - trying not to get them all tangled up.

Michael-SATX

Seriously though, two major events have made me this way. 9 /11 and Newtown. In both incidents I was able to monitor everything I needed to including mil air over NYC during 9 / 11. Manny

Manny, on that sad day of 9/11/01, did you happen to monitor any comms from any USAF 747 E-4B's or FL11 or FL77 (no BTS 9/11 takeoff logs for both)?
Or from the North Dakota Air National Guard F-16's (Happy Houligans Squadron) going after UA93 ("to protect the house" ie the USSS monitored comms)
Or the remote controlled KC-767's from Dov Zackheim (CEO of SPC which made the notorious Flight Termination Systems?(pod seen under UA175 clone)

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Manny, on that sad day of 9/11/01, did you happen to monitor any comms from any USAF 747 E-4B's or FL11 or FL77 (no BTS 9/11 takeoff logs for both)?
Or from the North Dakota Air National Guard F-16's (Happy Houligans Squadron) going after UA93 ("to protect the house" ie the USSS monitored comms)
Or the remote controlled KC-767's from Dov Zackheim (CEO of SPC which made the notorious Flight Termination Systems?(pod seen under UA175 clone)

What I remember was either F15s or F16s assigned to cover the NYC airspace! I remember the air to air comms about what they were seeing on the ground. I remember hearing Huntress comms as well! Lots of TOI ( targets of interest) being followed in the days that following 9 / 11.

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Now that's a nice looking shack. I'm interested in what we can't see - how organized are the wires behind the radios and the desk?

That's one of the problems I have - trying not to get them all tangled up.

As I said, Im a stickler for neatness! I have a 1/4 plywood piece behind the back board. I use large commercial grade staples to run wires neatly and directly to the rigrunner.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.