Changes to the shack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure most of you will agree that you never really finish your shack! It's always a work in progress with changes and / or additions. I recently acquired an HP-DC7800 USFF pc. At first I thought it would be a fun project just for the sake of having one and keeping busy.Well, to my surprise, I loved it, so much, that I bought a second one and they replaced both of my towers in the shack! These mini pcs run so quiet, you almost forget they're on at times.I got the idea from seeing one at my doctors office and seeing how quiet it was. They measure about 10"X10" square and about 3" tall. They run on laptop HD and laptop ram. This was great for me because I had a few spare drives laying around. They are core 2 duo machines. They were initially 2.33 Ghz. clock speed. I upgraded them to 3.0 Ghz for a whopping $20 on ebay. Easy as pie to do too.Both have 4 gigs of ram installed.I have a volume license for Windows 7 so I was not picky what OS they came with, I use 1 for all my programming needs and the second one for anything and everything! Total invested on both was @ $150 shipped.The shack has so much more room right now, it's amazing! For running the shack which includes about 12 different radios, it is more than enough. Just passing this along in case any of you need to save on space like I did! Cant say enough good things about these mini PCs.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Very nice! I've got an HP thin client that I'm looking at using for a Broadcastify feed. Small doesn't mean useless! :D

They work great for this. I'm using one for both of my feeds, one with Scannercast and the other with RadioFeed.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
LOVE THEM!

My 2 biggest selling points are the size and how quiet they are. Even though they are dual core, as you pointed out, for our hobby, they work great! You can stick them almost anywhere! I might get a 3rd one strictly for feeds!

Manny

SRSP2282

Premium Subscriber
Wow this is great! Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for a small desktop to replace an old laptop that I was using for programing and recording. This will be perfect.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Wow this is great! Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for a small desktop to replace an old laptop that I was using for programing and recording. This will be perfect.

Yes sir, these little gems work and work well!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.