2002 Yukon XL 'cleaned it up' this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I used to have three Uniden portables attached to my center console by mic clips and other radios sort of stuck where ever I could stick them by belt clip. This morning I took my center console back by installing a 996xt, placing the 436hp and 396xt on the side of the console where I could easily see them, made spots for two portables to stand up against the center console ... and the 346xt is on a mic clip next to the 996xt, although I am probably just going to take it out. I plan to install another 996xt at some point (yes the BC15 is attractive and affordable, but to many things are P25 around here)

First photo is the truck now, second photo is how it looked this morning.

Attachments

• 20141031_Radio_Truck.jpg
    20141031_Radio_Truck.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2,125
  • 20140507_Radio_Truck.jpg
    20140507_Radio_Truck.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2,055

sefrischling

sfd119

I'd have to do that on a not so dreary day. Antennas are simple, two on the rear roof, on each corner inside the roof rack, one on window (which I will be eliminating) and a 20" VHF 1/4 wave on the right with a hood mount.

sefrischling

OK, went outside and shot two quick photos. First photo has three antennas in it, although hard to see them.

Attachments

• Antenna_1.jpg
    Antenna_1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,518
  • Antenna_2.jpg
    Antenna_2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,486

15plus1

Looks good.. But I hope you don't drive with that Saber propped up there. That will become a rather heavy flying object at some point. Maybe u have it clipped like in 1st picture. Nice job though !

sefrischling

15Plus1

The Saber is anchored to one of those chrome bars you can see in the first photo. I have had Saber radios in vehicles since around 1995. What you really don't want is to slam the brakes and take a tall curb in an F-350 with a box on the back with a Motorola MX340 on the dashboard ... don't ask me how I know.

sefrischling

looks great how are you attaching the BCD436 and other Portable Radios?

The 436xt is held on by a Mic Clip, which is how I previously had them attached over the center console. The two 436 and 396 on the left are on screwed in flexi-arms with universal phone holders. I'd like to find a better solution for affixing the radios to the flexi-arms. The Yaesu FTA-550 airband radio and Moto Saber III are held in place by metal brackets. The Baofeng UV-5 radios are over my head clipped to the sun roof until I find a better solution.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
This definitely looks much better! Nice mod to the console where the cassette deck was previously - looks good.

sefrischling

03msc,

Thanks. Hopefully I can put my hands on another 996xt and stick it where the storage compartment is, as I never use it anyway.

sefrischling

Earlier today I Installed a hardwired three-socket auxiliary power outlet in my truck, but never looked at it when I switched it on. I just checked to see of what I had plugged in turned on when I flipped the switch. I picked it up because it had an on-off switch and could handle two 200 watt inverters and whatever random other thing needed to be plugged in.

Only now, after it has been wired and installed into the center console on the bottom of the passenger side do I realize that it glows "ground effect green" when it is switched on.

I looked on the packaging, it doesn't mention that it lights up anywhere ... FUDGE! (only he didn't say fudge)

Attachments

• Truck_Green_Outlets.jpg
    Truck_Green_Outlets.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,202
Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Earlier today I Installed a hardwired three-socket auxiliary power outlet in my truck, but never looked at it when I switched it on. I just checked to see of what I had plugged in turned on when I flipped the switch. I picked it up because it had an on-off switch and could handle two 200 watt inverters and whatever random other thing needed to be plugged in.

Only now, after it has been wired and installed into the center console on the bottom of the passenger side do I realize that it glows "ground effect green" when it is switched on.

I looked on the packaging, it doesn't mention that it lights up anywhere ... FUDGE! (only he didn't say fudge)

I have that same one...and you're right, nothing on the package that it glows like a Christmas tree. I had to angle mine so that it didn't interfere with night driving. Sure lights up the floor board, though...

sefrischling

I am going to take a look at it tomorrow in the day light and see if I can cover all the glowing sections in flat black paint. I have it screwed in and don't want to take it out and remount it, unless I have to.

It is so damn bright I could read in the passenger seat from the light it gives off.

Status
Not open for further replies.