RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Install

Just finished installing this mount. Its quite stable and removable when necessary. Uniden BCT15X scanner, Ram cup mount, Ram 2 inch pedestal mount. Antenna is a NilJon with mag mount,. Next is to drill the hole in the trunk.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2014, 7:29 AM

Looks good, but not a fan of that style of antenna. It looks like an eye poke hazard. But kudos on the radio setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://www.facebook.com/groups/407409399385884/
Old 11-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Database Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Yup, very nice install. I'm not crazy about the antenna either - but if it works for you then it's none of my business! 8-)

Mike
Old 11-29-2014, 12:12 AM

Nice install job !
I've never seen that style of antenna, bit I guess if it works then it works !
Old 11-29-2014, 8:48 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Scanner install looks good! That's definitely a unique antenna choice, as others have pointed out, but if it works for you or what you like then that's cool. If you were interested in one that would blend in more with the car, when you get ready to drill the trunk and permanently mount it, I highly recommend the Larsen 150/450/800 tri-band antenna. Receive is excellent and it's black! Just something to check out.

I like how the RH96 is mounted...looks good in a car that otherwise doesn't leave you many options!
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Looks good..
Old 12-02-2014, 3:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7850 View Post
Just finished installing this mount. Its quite stable and removable when necessary. Uniden BCT15X scanner, Ram cup mount, Ram 2 inch pedestal mount. Antenna is a NilJon with mag mount,. Next is to drill the hole in the trunk.
What was the setup for the cup mount? I wanna do something like that in my truck but I'm having trouble finding the right equipment for it. Could you please guide me in the right direction? Thanks

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2014, 6:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nice install, I like the mount. The antenna kinda makes the car look like Sputnik 1 though. But hey, it works!
Old 12-03-2014, 9:48 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Newer vehicles are really getting harder to put radio gear into. I think I will be keeping my old box body Suburban for a while.

Good job on the install.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACNWDude View Post
Newer vehicles are really getting harder to put radio gear into. I think I will be keeping my old box body Suburban for a while.

Good job on the install.
You are right! This spring when i went to the dealership i asked for a suv with the shifter on the column, and they all looked at me funny. I settled for a light duty truck, wish i had more floor space to mount the console though.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 PM

I love my bct 15. Actually I bought the remote head that is available for it and have the body under the seat.
Old 12-11-2014, 8:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Latest update. I decide to go a head and try out Larsen 150/450/800 tri-band antenna as well as an additional Uniden BCD996XT. I still haven't drilled the trunk for the antenna mount yet. Reception with the new antenna has improved on certain frequency ranges. I commute to my job daily and spend quite a bit of time in the car. I like listening for MilAir traffic and the old Nil-Jon antenna in the original picture had excellent reception in the MilAir UHF ranges. With all of the bad weather as of late I haven't heard much MilAir traffic during my daily commute so I'll have to see how that goes once the weather changes a bit for the better. Someone in one of the posts above asked about the details of the mount.

Here is the link and information for the RAM cup holder mount as well as the mounting arm. The bracket I used came with the scanner.

RAM-A-CAN
RAM-A-CAN™ II Universal Cup Holder Base - Product Number: RAP-299-3U

RAM 1" Diameter Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Diamond Base
RAM 1" Diameter Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Diamond Base Product Number: RAM-B-103-238U
Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7850 View Post
Latest update. I decide to go a head and try out Larsen 150/450/800 tri-band antenna as well as an additional Uniden BCD996XT. I still haven't drilled the trunk for the antenna mount yet. Reception with the new antenna has improved on certain frequency ranges. I commute to my job daily and spend quite a bit of time in the car. I like listening for MilAir traffic and the old Nil-Jon antenna in the original picture had excellent reception in the MilAir UHF ranges. With all of the bad weather as of late I haven't heard much MilAir traffic during my daily commute so I'll have to see how that goes once the weather changes a bit for the better. Someone in one of the posts above asked about the details of the mount.

Here is the link and information for the RAM cup holder mount as well as the mounting arm. The bracket I used came with the scanner.

RAM-A-CAN
RAM-A-CAN™ II Universal Cup Holder Base - Product Number: RAP-299-3U

RAM 1" Diameter Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Diamond Base
RAM 1" Diameter Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with Diamond Base Product Number: RAM-B-103-238U
I think you'll be happy with that antenna. We look forward to a pic or two of it after you have it installed (if you plan to drill for a mount for it).
Old 12-11-2014, 5:33 PM

I am with the others .. good but not the antenna. And .. drilling that hole just cut a ton off your value of your car. I would have done a trunk lip mount with the Larsen antenna already mentioned.
Old 12-11-2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACNWDude View Post

Good job on the install.
Hells Yeah,,Love my 99 Tahoe..Barn Doors,K9 cage, 4 NMO mounts down the middle of the roof...and enough room to install WKRP in
Cin-Sa -Na-Teeeeeeeee.....
Old 12-11-2014, 7:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Let us know how the new antenna compares to the old one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I am with the others .. good but not the antenna. And .. drilling that hole just cut a ton off your value of your car. I would have done a trunk lip mount with the Larsen antenna already mentioned.
FWIW, I've traded in two vehicles that had holes in them and got what I wanted for both of them. I made the dealers fully aware that they had plugged holes that were used for communications antennas and both times they simply said "OK". Going permanent allows for better sealing and less damage to the painted surface but to each their own. I know how daunting it can be to drill holes into something as valuable as your car!
Old 12-11-2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4INW View Post
I know how daunting it can be to drill holes into something as valuable as your car!
It is like brand new .. that was the only reason for my thought. I understand fully the reasons for it.
Old 09-28-2018, 7:58 PM

Default 4yrs later

Have the same sonata but hybrid, how did ram a can work out, did it last, I found possible place to mount to dash left side in front of fuse box.
Old 10-19-2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piee View Post
Have the same sonata but hybrid, how did ram a can work out, did it last, I found possible place to mount to dash left side in front of fuse box.
I traded my 2016 Hyundai Tucson and picked up a 2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport and have to figure out how to remount my stuff I have a home patrol ii and I was using the passenger side seat bolt with a flexible gooseneck.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing unless I can come up with something better.

for my antenna on the Tucson I had a little lip mount. I'm thinking of a drill mount this time around not sure on roof or trunk.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk