Christmas Scanning / New Aerial

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

Our Christmas was very nice, spending time with family and friends. Our two year old got spoilt by everybody and I for one ate way too much food...

I "officially" got my new scanner (Uniden UBC126AT) from my wife, which I have been using for the last few months and a few other gifts. I had this running in "Close Call Temporary Store" mode most of the day in the car while at our families and friends, it didn't log anything of note.

A couple of weeks ago I found my old UHF CB whip which is mounted on a 3M pole up the side of our garage. It had left it there when I had removed it about six months ago at the time that I moved my radios from the garage and in to the house. I had a bit of a look and found a spot I could mount the UHF CB whip and bracket on our BBQ areas roof, which backs on to the wall where my radio desk is inside. I spoke to my wife and agreed to this being mounted. Late this afternoon I had some spare time and the weather was not too hot so I spent an hour or so mounting this to the roof of the BBQ area and running the cable in to the house behind my radio desk. My quick test after installing it shows much improved signal levels compared to the standard aerial on my UBC126AT. over the next few days I hope to have a chance to give this a good try, my hope being that I will be able to hear a couple of signals which are not quite receivable at the moment from my home.

Outdoor%2BAerial_December%2B2016%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Outdoor%2BAerial_December%2B2016%2B%25284%2529.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Adding a simple ground plane under that antenna would help a bit.
3 or more 6 inch (15.24cm) long rods mounted to the antenna bracket would be an easy modification and might improve performance a bit.

cmdrwill

Mac is correct need ground plane.
What is the electrical tape hiding? Damaged coax cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.