Stealth Scanner Bag MK3 – January 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

Over the years, while involved in the radio scanning / amateur radio / ultralight DXing hobbies, I have used a number of different bags and cases for carrying my assorted radios and associated bits and pieces. Some of these bags and cases have worked very well, others have not for various reasons.

I have again returned to my love of portable operation, this has meant finding a suitable carry case or bag for my radios to undertaken these activities in parks and other locations.

Based on my experience in the past, I ruled out using a “hard” case due to the unwanted attention they can bring plus size and cost. Soft camera bags like I have used in the past do not offer a suitable level of protection and can also make you stand out as a photographer who might be carrying expensive equipment. With this in mind I have recently been on the lookout for ideas to make a suitable carrying system that is “low profile / stealth”.

Recently I was looking at the Reject Shop, when I noticed they had canvas bags for $15, this was a good size and had enough space for my radios and accessories plus my 10” netbook and other daily carry essentials. On the shelf nearby was a number of cheap plastic storage containers, I tried a few different ones until I found one that was a good fit for this bag. I also purchased some heavy duty black tape and two smaller plastic storage containers. Total cost was $22.

Last night I spent about an hour out in the shed setting this up. The first step was to cut the side of the plastic storage container to allow my radios to slide in and out, this is an idea in used in my original stealth ultralight DXing bag. Next I mounted some bubble wrap to the inside, rear, top and back to protect the scanners as they slide in and out. I installed some foam to the lid and then taped this shut using the heavy duty black tape. Finally I drilled two small holes in to the rear of the plastic storage container and in to the back of the bag to hold this in place. I then spent some time sorting my various radio scanning accessories and setting up space in the bag for them all. This is where the smaller plastic containers came in very handy.

Over all for less than $25 and an hour of my time I have a very low profile bag which provides a good level of protection and blends in, looking like nothing more than a man bag.

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25285%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25286%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25287%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25288%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%25289%2529.jpg

Stealth%2BScanner%2BBag%2BMK3_January2017%2B%252810%2529.jpg

Yes why the need to hide your radios? I walk around with my scanner in my leather radio holster and i get no weird looks at all.. your case seems like its a little much for what your trying to do.. but then again most times i have a green sling carry EMS bag that holds all my radios PLUS first aid stuff. All without attracting *alot* of attention..

But why hide? Maybe you can TEACH people about what your doing? I get questions about what I do and I teach people about the hobby and how they can get started in it.. whats different about AUS scanning and scanning in the States?

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Just curious, why the stealth? Scanning is completely legal in Australia, with the exception of intercepting mobile phone transmissions. While in Sydney for a few days for work I brought along a Motorola Astro Saber programmed over to PD / FD , never encountered a single issue, other that a curious cop asking why an American news photog had a radio for NSW. When I explained I reprogrammed two zones for the trip, the conversation turned to cameras, and that was it.

pb_lonny

Were all wondering why your taking so many measures as to keep your scanning secret.... :I

I don't keep my scanning secret, hell I run a blog and at the moment I am at work with my scanner on my desk. I just like to keep it "low profile" when I am out and about.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
If pb wants to keep his scanners stealth, why not. BTW, nice carrying case Pb Lonny. Scanning perfectly legal too here in So Calif, but if I am sitting in McDonalds have some cookies and ice tea and want to listen to my 436HP or TRX-1 (my favorite handhelds), I keep them in a backpack. People are hyper enough now a days about terrorists. Why heighten anyone's anxiety. I'm in there to relax and enjoy listening a bit.

Aero125

If you're trying to be stealth why not just carry a radio in your pocket instead of a bag full of radios, cables, connectors, pouches, containers, straps,, antennas, tools, etc. Some guy with all that looks more suspicious than one with an earbud probably listening to music from his phone in his pocket.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
As long as he's not breaking any laws, I guess....

Hey, to each his own, it's his prerogative. Not what most of us are used to doing but oh well. I carry my radios everywhere out in the open.

Manny

bharvey2

I usually carry a radio of some sort on my belt (about 3 o'clock position) when out in public and have never had issues. In the cooler parts of the year, it's partially hidden by a jacket. I've never noticed a second look.

My wife is a Disneyland fan so we often hit the parks once or twice a year. While there, I carry a radio in a back pack with only an antenna and earpiece visible. Never had trouble in that instance either. No problems with security either. To be honest, I'm more concerned with theft than funny looks. Don't be an annoyance and you shouldn't have any problems.

N5TWB

I just like to keep it "low profile" when I am out and about.

OK - so here's what we know: In Oz, it is totally "low profile" for a guy to carry a "murse" for "bits and pieces".

Sorry - couldn't help myself but that was just too easy. Your solution fits your needs and that's the important part. I like the re-purposed sandwich containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.