2008 Ford Expedition Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tac21

Hello,

This is my first post here so I hope I get it right. I have a 2008 Ford Expedition that I recently finished building out as my mobile ham shack/mobile Office. For radios I have a VHF Motorola Spectra Astro that works on both P25 and analog repeaters in my area, I also have a Motorola Spectra Astro in 700/800 which is used for work. I have a Panisonic CF30 Toughbook on a Havis charging station with a dedicated hot spot and a Cobra Dash cam with a custom built mounting bracket that comes on with the vehicle. For mounting I used a Havis vehicle specific console with the correct radio mounting plates and added a locking storage container. Antennas back to front, 1/4 wave VHF, UHF phantom, 800 phantom. I will be adding a Motorola Spectra Astro UHF soon, once I find the time to sit down and program it. I haven't really seen many of these on here for inspiration or ideas so thought I would share mine in case someone else is trying to figure out what to do with limited room.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,880
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,705
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,714
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,586
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,692

Tac21

Just a few more pics. One of the dash cam and one of the install at night.

Attachments

• Dash cam mount.jpg
    Dash cam mount.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,528
  • night.jpg
    night.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,491

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nicely done! And yes, you did your post right! Welcome to the RR forums and thanks for sharing!

Julian1

Ford Expedition Install - Oh YES!!

You hit a grand slam home run.

I totally dig how you adapted and blended nicely the OEM console shifter and the radios.

Your project and the great pictures will inspire many.

I don't have an Expedition / Tahoe / Suburban (yet....) but I bet many like me would be interested in your methods of blending OEM console to the radio slots.

Congratulations!

Tac21

Thanks everyone!

In answer to blending the OEM console, I ordered a vehicle specific console, part # C-VS-1200-EXPD-1 from Havis, I believe it was about 200 dollars and that comes with the radio face plates you need. It was a little bit of a pain to remove the armrest and take apart the console but if I can figure it out I'm sure anyone else can too. Once you get the armrest off and all of the storage compartment parts out the Havis drops right down and bolts on (you can see the two silver bolts on one of the side pics).

Below are some of the install pics as I had the console torn apart. I decided to add 3 12v rocker switches in case I add more stuff to the install later. One of them is hooked up to the laptop power and the other two are blank for now but can be easily accessed by removing the radios (8 screws). For master power I pulled a 4ga fused at the battery, and hooked it into a 6 fuse block mounted under the console. The master ground is also a 4ga.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,422
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,404
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,423
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,377
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,379

N5TWB

Good to know there's a Havis that will integrate with the Ford console shifter.

Curious about the dash cam operation so a few questions, if you don't mind:

- How do you rate this one for ease of operation and quality of picture?
- It appears to be mounted just below the windshield shadow strip so I'm wondering how that affects the field of view for the camera.
- Specific model number, please?

Tac21

This one is the Cobra 840 Drive HD. I would rate it about a 7 for ease of use and when my windshield is clean a 10 for quality of video. It records in 1080P and in my opinion, has a great field of view for what it is and where it is mounted. The 7 for ease of use is due to a small viewing screen compared to some of the others I have had. This one also has built in GPS and shock sensors, and if you view the video using the Drive HD software (Free from Cobra) it will actually show your GPS trail on a map while watching the video. I've had this one for about two years and have had good luck with it. I've attached a few pictures so you can get an idea of the field of view where it is mounted. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Dash Cam View.jpg
    Dash Cam View.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,192
  • Night time view.jpg
    Night time view.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,202

Tac21

avdrummerboy that is a NICE install!!! I looked and looked for an SSV but couldn't find one so finally gave in and just bought the one I have. I am super jealous about all the extra radio room you have on your console! I could probably get 3 more in my Havis console if I remove the locking area but didn't want to totally loose all storage. I may buy a smaller locking console later and add a few more radios. For now I am happy with how it all came out and most importantly, like yours, it's clean which is a big deal for my OCD haha. Thanks for sharing and commenting!

Julian1

Explorer - Low mileage or completely restored?

I was looking at your photos again.

Was this a low mileage stored in a garage or did you have this Expedition restored? It looks brand new.

Stay safe.... "Merica"

Tac21

Hello,

Believe it or not I found it in this condition from an elderly couple who bought it new with I think, 15 miles on it? They rarely used it and when they did it was mostly for traveling across the country. It had under 100K and they had every maintenance record from the day they bought it. I got very lucky and they accepted a cash offer for well under blue book. They took very good care if it which was a win for me, I think I mentioned in an earlier post about my OCD? lol. The only think I changed was the FORD emblem on the center of the grille, the original was very faded, think I found the new one for about 15 bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.