RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 3:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have had my scanner confiscated in Chelsea by the transit LT. they gave me a DAT for unlawful possession, Of what i am not sure. I also remember when someone else here was stopped in the 90th for the same thing and ticketed. I went to Manhattan court downtown and they threw it out, But i never fought to get my scanner back, because 1, it was that cheap little 100 channel racing uniden, and 2, the NYPD will just stop you again and the same process will happen. You can argue all day long with the NYPD about the letter of the law but they do not care. They will issue the DAT with the quickness to keep with the quota. I know this as a fact because this is what i have been told about other DAT summons i received (Possession of a knife, hopping a turnstyle) and they really don't care either way because they have to issue that DAT and transport you to the house for processing and kick you loose.
Old 08-07-2017, 7:52 PM

You would think cops have better things to do in NYC, I would be so butthurt to have a anything taken away from me personally. Did you have an attorney?
Old 08-08-2017, 9:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny37 View Post
I think this more of NYC thing then any other place in the state. I don't understand why it's illegal to stay parked on one channel, and yea listening to a ps scanner out loud is stupid but should it warrant a confiscation and a desk appearance ticket, just really doesn't make sense. I think a ham here got pulled over by the cops in the city and they were flipping channels on his yaesu radio.
On paper, it's not just NYC.

The City of Rochester has an ordinance that prohibits possession of a mobile or portable police or fire receiver. It isn't enforced except possibly in connection with other charges.
Old 08-09-2017, 7:43 AM

Well I can definitely write Rochester off my list of places I would live in.
Old 08-12-2017, 2:12 PM

Why would it be illegal to monitor one frequency continuously. What could they have possible been thinking when passing such a law?

But if you want to listen to just one frequency and you want to get around that law all you have to do is program a bank with two frequencies in it. One of them being the one you want to listen to and the other being one that you know will have no activity and just let it scan away. All you will hear will be that one frequency and you get all transmissions without interruption.
Sponsored links
Old Yesterday, 5:10 PM

Dude do you use Flickr or youtube or anything to share your pics?