RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup

Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup - Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups. Equipment installation questions belong here: Radio Equipment Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2017, 8:50 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2PDX View Post
This is one of the best shack setups I've ever seen. It is cleaner, neater and more efficient than many professional 911 centers I've been in over the years as well. How many external antennas are you running?

I built a couple small 9-1-1 centers in my life, I drew some on the inspiration from that experience.

As for the antennas I live in an HOA so I am restricted to attic antennas. Living in Arizona's high desert I cannot get into the attic until winter time. Over the last 2 winters a friend (who did most of the work) and I put in a boat load of antennas. I have close to a dozen scanner antennas, a couple HF and a few dual band, UHF and VHF antennas. This winter I plan on paring things down to the best performing ones and replacing some of the coax with better performing stock. I also need to get a decent 800 MHz. antenna, the one I have is not working well for me.

http://www.carmachicago.com
Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2017, 9:12 PM

Cool Set Up. It looks like NASA Control.
Old 09-24-2017, 7:56 PM
Was: k2ool
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Looks great.No, it looks fantastic!
At Christmas, Do you have an Elfa on da shelfa?
Old 09-25-2017, 6:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Nice job Rich, look great.
Old 09-25-2017, 1:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Rich, this looks awesome!! If I werent in the far east valley, Id say I wanna take a peak! Haha! Thats beautiful what you got going there!
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2017, 10:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Have you come up with a way to handle your audio yet? Iím currently running for radios into the computer separate soundcards separate line ends and using ProScan to control and record audio however I donít think that this is the best solution as it sounds muffled coming from the computer speakers looking for mixer switcher system design anybody thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2017, 1:35 PM

I absolutly recommend to use a home studio type of mixer. You have tone controls on it, bass-middle-high and often bass cut to get rid of subtone audio. You probably also have a led that indicate when there's audio comming in and a button to single select one source and mute the others. You can pan the different audio sources between left and right speakers. I guess you could open up the mixer and move the indicator led and single select buttons to a little box with labels in front of you and put the mixer out of the way, as soon as you have set everyting to you liking. Those mixers have ground loop isolators on each input to reduce hum problems. A 4-channel mixer like that are probably no more than $100.

/Ubbe
Old 10-20-2017, 4:07 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, the concept hasn't really changed but I missed having the corner desk. Since the free-standing Elfa doesn't have a corner desk option I put in a separate piece instead. I actually had many of the parts from a prior office setup so I just had to buy a few parts.

I also added in a second rack, again from existing supplies from prior shacks. I placed the couple radios I would likely need to manipulate directly at the top for easier access. I also placed the racks closer to the sitting position. These racks slide right in between the supports for the freestanding shelf system and it really was a pleasant surprise to see it.

Spreading things out with a corner allows me to keep all the monitors at eye level and puts the radios that are computer controlled out of the way.

Each of the two racks are on casters so they can be easily pulled out to work on. I made sure to leave enough tail on the cables to make it easier to pull out. Both racks are all self contained and have an AC power strip and a 25A Astron power supply.

The rack on the right has the CDM1250 for GMRS as well as 5 PSR600's, a PSR400, a 996P2 and a 536HP. There is an 8-port USB hub in the rack and each radio's cable goes into that hub so a single long USB cable connects to the computer. There is also an 8-port Stridsberg to support the 8 scanners.

The left rack is unchanged from before, with 7 BCT15's and 4 BCT15X's as well as a 996XT. A 13-port USB hub and a pair of Stridbergs (A 4-port and an 8-port) as well as a 25A power supply round things out.

On the desk from left to right are:

Icom IC746 Pro
TRX-2
Kenwood TM-D700 (Radio itself in the right rack)
HP1 and HP2
Icom R8500.

Computers are an Apple iMac 5K with a 27 inch screen, 32 GB RAM and a 3TB SSD. A second 27inch monitor is to the right and a 32 to the left. On the far left there are 2 more 32 inch monitors for the Intel NUC, it has 2 1TB SSD's and 16GB of RAM. The NUC runs multiple instances of ProScan for the Uniden scanners searching out MilAir as well as the AirNav RadarBox and a couple instances of PRO96Com and ARC products to program the scanners.

A couple notes here:

I love the NUC, it is ideal for what I am doing with it. It is a tiny little square box, roughly 4.5x4.5x2 inches and it includes a bracket to mount on to the rear VESA holes on a monitor (mine is behind the far left monitor). It has 4 USB 3 connectors, a Mini HDMI and MDP jacks and works great!

I also love the Elfa free standing system, it is easy to install and reconfigure (great for me!). Once you remove the stuff on it it can be moved around as well.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 PM

How many scanners do you think you could run on a NUC? I want to get one to run some online feeds.
Old 10-21-2017, 5:51 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDS3 View Post
How many scanners do you think you could run on a NUC? I want to get one to run some online feeds.
Well, with over a dozen instances of ProScan, 2 of Pro96Com and the AirNav box Task Manager reports about 24% of CPU resources used along with about 18% of memory. I suspect from that I have plenty more resources if needed.

Tags
n9jig